A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

AAA - anyone still use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by TIIVIO
Side question, how competitive is AAA's auto insurance compare to other insurance companies in general?
I've had AAA insurance for ages. Back in the '90s my car got totaled and I wasn't happy with what AAA was giving me. I handed my coverage papers to a State Farm agent at my church. He came back a week later and said "You must have been with AAA for a long time. I cannot come close to your premium numbers."

I'm still with AAA. YMMV.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TIIVIO
I've been a member since I first got my license years back.
Side question, how competitive is AAA's auto insurance compare to other insurance companies in general?
I honestly don't know, I got them in 1993 and never switched, but when I compare notes with others it's about the same. Where they are different is their willingness to pay: I'm sorry to say that I'm repeat customer with German Auto Body in Santa Clara, about five times since 1999 (once my bad, other times various others). The guys at German Auto Body not only do phenomenal work (and take forever), but they also don't take prisoners with insurance claims, which means insurances hate them. Then come I, with a beat up B7 S4, and the AAA adjuster doesn't even show up, they just send them the money. The only time the adjuster came was when wife's A6 got beaten up by an uninsured motorist, when the damage was north of 20k. When I asked the shop owner which is the best insurance from their perspective, he said AAA and nobody else comes even close.

This also goes with home insurance. Once my kitchen got flooded, once my dad's car got stolen with all my camera gear in it, and once two very expensive lenses got lifted during an open house. They just sent me a check, no questions asked.

I have no desire to switch.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
I honestly don't know, I got them in 1993 and never switched, but when I compare notes with others it's about the same. Where they are different is their willingness to pay: I'm sorry to say that I'm repeat customer with German Auto Body in Santa Clara, about five times since 1999 (once my bad, other times various others). The guys at German Auto Body not only do phenomenal work (and take forever), but they also don't take prisoners with insurance claims, which means insurances hate them. Then come I, with a beat up B7 S4, and the AAA adjuster doesn't even show up, they just send them the money. The only time the adjuster came was when wife's A6 got beaten up by an uninsured motorist, when the damage was north of 20k. When I asked the shop owner which is the best insurance from their perspective, he said AAA and nobody else comes even close.

This also goes with home insurance. Once my kitchen got flooded, once my dad's car got stolen with all my camera gear in it, and once two very expensive lenses got lifted during an open house. They just sent me a check, no questions asked.

Damn, Stan! No wonder my rates are so high.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i use AAA as well... in MA, and got a loan through them because it was super easy, and across the street from my office.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj

Wow that's pretty amazing! May be once my next insurance renewal is up I will check the price with AAA as well. I'm in Saratoga!
Old 01-26-2018, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Like most other posters, I've been a AAA member for decades. I keep it because their towing/roadside assistance service is very reliable. As TIIVIO said, others who offer such services contract them out. AAA does too, but they've been in that business many, many years. I've always found their subcontractors prompt, honest, and competent. Why would I change? Also, of course, they'll deal with my decade-old BMW roadster. In the fullness of time, after its warranty expires, they'll also deal with my Allroad.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have been a AAA member for years, but mostly because I have two motorcycles, and pay for the PLUS/RV membership to get service and tow coverage for those.
I ride long distance and am always on the road, and it makes me feel MUCh better should I ever get stranded in the middle of nowhere on two wheels.

3 years ago, I took a ride out west and ran out of gas somewhere near Lincoln, NE (pushed it too far!). AAA was dispatched and brought me 1 gallon of gas in less than 30 minutes.
Paid for the membership in one shot!

I recently decided to shop for cheaper insurance with AAA, after being with State Farm for many years. Typically, SF has the cheapeast MC insurance, but after acquiring the S4 -- they REALLY did me no favors.
First blush quote was a bit lower, but not significantly so. It's good to read from others here that AAA is typcially cheaper on rates, and also reliable and fair.

I may go back and reconsider AAA insurance again.

As long as I ride, I'll have a AAA membership.

gr
Old 01-27-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

One thing I really like about AAA is their "select" body shops. No need to get competitive quotes, just bring it in to the specified shop and everything is taken care of.

The one where I used to live had GREAT customer service. They understood the trauma of having your car hit and worked hard to assure you that everything would be fine. And their work was excellent. (Used them 5 or 6 times, only once was it our fault.)
Old 01-27-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
One thing I really like about AAA is their "select" body shops. No need to get competitive quotes, just bring it in to the specified shop and everything is taken care of.
I had once and only once a AAA approved shop do work on my car - on my leased Electric Focus after I got bumped by a lady in the parking lot. That was the worst body work I've ever seen. Did I care for them to do the promised re-do? Nope, it's a lease and it's going back in a year. However, for cars where I actually care, they go to German Auto Body that's not a certified shop but they do stellar work. They can afford to do much better work because they don't have to comply with pre-negotiated AAA prices that are much lower, yet the insurance still has to pay as per CA law.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're shopping for auto insurance make sure to check out Erie. Over the years I've checked around to see if I could get a better deal but know one has come close. I've only used them a couple of times for repairs and have been very happy with how they treated me.