A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Allroad, Q5 or A6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad, Q5 or A6?

I live in the Southeast United States where it is nearly impossible to even test drive an Allroad as most dealers don't have any in stock. For those who have driven these cars, which do you prefer. I have two pre teen children and dont need a ton of space. Also am seeig where the prices on the a6 are dropping drastically with the new model do to hit showroooms soon. How does usable space match up with the Q5 and overall comfort level? Thanks in advance
Old 07-30-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

why not drive an A4 to compare? It will be awfully close

A6's - problem is the vast majority of them (if not all?) are on stop sale, and cannot be sold because of the recall. No solution eta either

A6 is a different class of car vs an A5 and Q5. At the cost of the technology side of things, which is behind those vehicles. All nice cars. A6 is particularly nice with the 3.0 engine, but that takes it to a totally different price point
Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2018 Q5. I have 15,000 miles on it as I bought it last July. It is roomy, comfortable, and gets good mpg. It is presently in the dealer's shop for a transmission/transfer case repair. I was down in the Ozarks, parked at a restaurant on a hill. Following dinner, I came back to the car, and noticed what I thought was condensate liquid coming from the car. I initially thought it was a little too much for a day only in the high 80's, so I drove home. When I got back home, it puked this fluid again on the driveway. I called my dealer and couldn't get it in until today. Now I'm being told that parts are "several days away, and repair time is a day and a half" when all parts are available. The dealer has treated me very well (although I couldn't get a loaner.) I'm just disappointed that in 15k miles, I have a transmission issue. If you go with either of these cars, you will enjoy driving them. I hope you have better luck with the transmission. BTW: my transmission is the 7-speed, dual clutch model.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go allroad personally.

There's something special about the avants and I absolutely love the exclusivity of them.

The A6 has a great powertrain with a proven reliability. Tech is obviously nothing like the new C8 chassis but still very nice.

Q5 is generic to me. Again that's my opinion and I did like the loaner Q5 I had.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Allroading17
The A6 has a great powertrain with a proven reliability. Tech is obviously nothing like the new C8 chassis but still very nice.
Isn't the C8 the one with the stop sale order, not the C7 (which is the one with the proven drivetrain). So you can get the old one but not the new one yet.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a Q5 loaner and it was just not a good fit for me. It seemed bulky, and the massive outside rear view mirror on the driver's side was positioned exactly in the space that blocked my view of pedestrians stepping off the curb at an intersection.

As a previous message says, the Allroad does drive like a sedan. To read more about them see some of the road tests indexed at http://tinyurl.com/yagpyxjc.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This is an interesting post because I had the exact same set of choices I front of me. I went with the allroad. It really comes down to whether you’re an suv person or a car person. I just can’t make myself love the way an suv drives, and that’s despite the lower price and greater availability/choice of the q5. The allroad has just about as much cargo room as the q5 but drives like a car and is far more rare. The a6 is a different beast altogether. It’s heavier and more sedate, and the tech is a little behind, even when compared to the b9 A4/allroad/q5. And the 2019 a6 will absolutely blow it out of the water from the technology standpoint. The b9 A4 is almost as roomy as the a6 and drives like a more nimble, lighter car.

If you’re not able to test an allroad, the A4 is a pretty good approximation. The allroad is a little bit softer and less nimble due to its higher ride height and beefier tires, but it does come standard with adaptive damping which really helps dial in the stiffness to your liking. With a proper set of tires the allroad would handle just like the Sedan. The seating position is identical.

Final thought: I think there are a few things on the q5 that are lower quality when compared to the a4/allroad. In particular the center screen on non-virtual cockpit models is much much higher resolution (and color) on the sedan and allroad. Some of the switches on the steering column aren’t quite as nice on the q5 either.
Old 07-31-2018, 09:00 PM
QS4
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Not enough info...

If your other vehicle is smaller than your choices, I'll suggest the Allroad or the Q5 solely because of more room to carry or haul larger items than can go in the A6. These two should also have slightly more rear leg room which may not be an issue at all if you are 5' 8" or shorter. If you are taller, you will easily be able to get your family inside but you'll end up sacrificing your leg room for more space in the rear. I like the size of my 4 because I am usually alone - I move my seat forward if the teens are in the back!

To choose without more detail from you, I'd go A6, then Allroad, then Q5 - based on visual appeal and driving fun.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I haven’t driven an allroad but I have the A4, SQ5 and A7 and I had an A6. I still miss my A6. It was a wonderful car with an amazing engine (same as the one in my A7). The 3.0 supercharged engine is extremely refined even compared to the new 3.0 turbocharged which I have in the SQ5.

If I had to only keep one car and get rid of all my other cars, it would be the A7 (or the A6 if I had it). The A6 is spacious enough and while it isn’t as sporty as say the A4 when it comes to handling, it still did pretty well but that engine alone is worth it over everything else. The 2.0 is not bad at all. Infact, it’s one of the best 2.0s out there but the 3.0 is a beauty.

If you’re talking about the C8 A6, I have no idea cuz I haven’t seen one, forget driving one. I don’t think they’re launched in America yet.

The Q5 well. If you don’t need the extra space, get the allroad. I’d get the allroad over the Q5 and A6 over the allroad. I know tech in the A6 is dated with regards to VC and stuff but it isn’t that dated. I think the only thing my A7 misses tech wise compared to a similarly spec’ed allroad would be Traffic Jam assist and Virtual cockpit and how my A4 warns me about upcoming reduced speed zones. But instead you get interiors with a better quality and a spacious cabin and comfortable seats.