A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Allroad Sales Figure (May and YTD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Allroad Sales Figure (May and YTD)

Looks like the sales of Allroads is picking up.

While not material as the Qs it may be a good indicator of having Avants more widely available in the US?

Old 06-01-2017, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like all trends that come back around, I think drivers will begin to get fed up with all the SUVs on the road and the wagon will make a comeback.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the allocation for the B9 allroad in '17 was 2000 units. Aside from the stripped ones that AoA stuck the dealers with, I believe all were sold along with a few extras in there. We will see what the '18 allocation is to judge the awareness that we want more avants!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to Audi's press release, they sold 2,300 Allroads in the US in 2016. That's down sharply from 2,818 in 2015, presumably due to new model anticipation.

Improved numbers are definitely encouraging; hopefully they eclipse 2015 and keep growing!

Also, if anyone else read this thread and suddenly realized that they had no idea how allocations actually work, this post by SYMAWD is an excellent explanation.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Looks like the sales of Allroads is picking up.

While not material as the Qs it may be a good indicator of having Avants more widely available in the US?

Nope, it's not. A long as the Q series is selling like hot cakes, and Audi has spent the big bucks getting the Allroad tested and approved for sale in North America, there will be no compelling reason for Audi to bring the Avant into North America.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roger_1
Nope, it's not. A long as the Q series is selling like hot cakes, and Audi has spent the big bucks getting the Allroad tested and approved for sale in North America, there will be no compelling reason for Audi to bring the Avant into North America.
It's unfortunate, but I agree. YTD in the U.S. alone Audi has sold 21,249 Q5's and 1,132 Allroad's. Wagons just don't sell well enough here to make a good case to expand their offerings. Maybe in time, but most likely not anytime soon.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
It's unfortunate, but I agree. YTD in the U.S. alone Audi has sold 21,249 Q5's and 1,132 Allroad's. Wagons just don't sell well enough here to make a good case to expand their offerings. Maybe in time, but most likely not anytime soon.
I, too, would like to see the Avants here (A4 and especially A6). Frankly, given how well the Q series sells, we're fortunate to get even the Allroad.

From what I've read, the Allroad provides a more compliant ride than the Avant, though at the expense of some body roll (noticeable only in more 'spirited' driving).
Old 06-04-2017, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
When I was at the dealer last month, I was speaking with the manager about things. Then my Allroad rolled out and he was asking me how I liked it and that they can't sell them because they simply don't have them in stock for people to see them, let alone drive them. They would never pose a threat to Q5 sales or even A4 sales, but I am willing to bet Audi could double the sales of the Allroad if availability was not an issue. Most customers are not even aware it exists.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
When I was at the dealer last month, I was speaking with the manager about things. Then my Allroad rolled out and he was asking me how I liked it and that they can't sell them because they simply don't have them in stock for people to see them, let alone drive them. They would never pose a threat to Q5 sales or even A4 sales, but I am willing to bet Audi could double the sales of the Allroad if availability was not an issue. Most customers are not even aware it exists.
Hmm, not sure my experience is consistent with yours, or representative. When I proudly showed my new Allroad to a group of buddies, the first reaction was, "you bought a f****** station wagon? Seriously?"

These being good friends, there was of course some ribbing going on, but the US market just doesn't seem to support wagons. After a test ride and looking around inside, a couple are reconsidering the aversion.

I think all of the manufacturers maintain whatever product mix maximizes sales. For Audi, it seems to me the AR reaches a market that would otherwise go to another brand and for the most part, doesn't cannibalize Q5 sales.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fortunate1
Hmm, not sure my experience is consistent with yours, or representative. When I proudly showed my new Allroad to a group of buddies, the first reaction was, "you bought a f****** station wagon? Seriously?"

These being good friends, there was of course some ribbing going on, but the US market just doesn't seem to support wagons. After a test ride and looking around inside, a couple are reconsidering the aversion.

I think all of the manufacturers maintain whatever product mix maximizes sales. For Audi, it seems to me the AR reaches a market that would otherwise go to another brand and for the most part, doesn't cannibalize Q5 sales.
I think the AR is unique enough looking to have some people take a second or third look. I'm also betting that most would enjoy the handling also. I understand why some others - like your friends said that; especially if you are single and no kids. It's a great choice for those wanting most of the handling - and in some ways better than the A4, with added space and utility and way more luxury than let's say the Outback - which itself is kinda a cross between a wagon and an SUV.. They can't sell what they don't have on hand - at least not in any significant numbers.

Quick Reply: Allroad Sales Figure (May and YTD)