A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Allroad supply & demand - buy now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad supply & demand - buy now or wait?

Hello,
Newbie here, but pretty set on getting into an B9 Allroad at some point. From talking to local dealers in N. Calif it seems the supply is low and the demand is pretty high. To get one I have to direct order, which is fine by me as I am not in a hurry.

I'm wondering though if waiting a few more months to avoid trying to buy in Spring season, which I'm told is the worst season to buy a car price-wise. So far, none of the dealers here seem interested in any deals under MSRP. I'm a bit surprised as I read elsewhere on this forum that people were able to get 8% off MSRP? I'm also told it will take 4-5 months.

What does everyone think? Will waiting to place an order coincide with potential lower demand so that I may be able to get a dealer to take an order a few % off MSRP? Have most people here placed direct orders been paying the MSRP and not much lower than that?

Thanks for any inputs, all the stuff posted here is super helpful!!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said it, demand is high and supply is low. I'm thinking that the order book will soon be closed for the 2017 year so if you CAN still order, do it quickly or it will be from the 2018 order guide. There is always a "Summer of Audi" campaign that offers discounts on 2017 models left in dealer stocks. You might get lucky and find one.
Allroads are low production models and each dealership only gets a few, unlike Q5's and A4's.

Furthermore, join the Audi Club of North America and enjoy the loyalty discount of 6% off MSRP on almost any Audi model after the waiting time. Many of us here on the forum take advantage of that, but the benefit doesn't kick-in until you've been a member for 6 months.

When mine arrives in late June, early July, I'll get the -6% off MSRP plus any other factory discounts available to the dealer.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

2017 order sheet is closed.
Any orders now are off of the 2018 (so loss of Sport Package and DAP option out removed from Prestige).
Old 04-29-2017, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traumeri
Hello,
Newbie here, but pretty set on getting into an B9 Allroad at some point. From talking to local dealers in N. Calif it seems the supply is low and the demand is pretty high. To get one I have to direct order, which is fine by me as I am not in a hurry.

I'm wondering though if waiting a few more months to avoid trying to buy in Spring season, which I'm told is the worst season to buy a car price-wise. So far, none of the dealers here seem interested in any deals under MSRP. I'm a bit surprised as I read elsewhere on this forum that people were able to get 8% off MSRP? I'm also told it will take 4-5 months.

What does everyone think? Will waiting to place an order coincide with potential lower demand so that I may be able to get a dealer to take an order a few % off MSRP? Have most people here placed direct orders been paying the MSRP and not much lower than that?

Thanks for any inputs, all the stuff posted here is super helpful!!
Apart from the ACNA suggestion another easy option is to do European Delivery, which is an automatic 5% off MSRP. You can't combine them, though.

Of course, depending on how you holiday this isn't really comparable to negotiating a discount at the dealer, although it helps if you are going through Germany for some other reason like work, or you use air miles, etc.

On the plus side you get the bonus of a vacation in Europe in your new car, which by most accounts is pretty cool, and the factory tour is supposed to be good.
There's a sub-forum which discusses this, with pics etc.

Picking mine up in Ingolstadt at the end of May - really looking forward to it!
Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by FLkiwi
Apart from the ACNA suggestion another easy option is to do European Delivery, which is an automatic 5% off MSRP. You can't combine them, though.

Of course, depending on how you holiday this isn't really comparable to negotiating a discount at the dealer, although it helps if you are going through Germany for some other reason like work, or you use air miles, etc.

On the plus side you get the bonus of a vacation in Europe in your new car, which by most accounts is pretty cool, and the factory tour is supposed to be good.
There's a sub-forum which discusses this, with pics etc.

Picking mine up in Ingolstadt at the end of May - really looking forward to it!
Nice! Did you negotiate anything further off MSRP with the ED 5%? I tried looking up the ACNA discount on their website but the section is blank. So I guess it's not certain the 6% will be renewed for 2018 MY.

I'm wondering when this increased demand will lead to increased production by Audi? Sounds like I should be expecting ordering one pretty much at MSRP for the foreseeable future. I will also need to justify the 8%+ premium over A4 sedans that seems pretty easy to come by.

Thanks guys for all the helpful info!
Old 04-29-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Did you negotiate anything further off MSRP with the ED 5%? I tried looking up the ACNA discount on their website but the section is blank. So I guess it's not certain the 6% will be renewed for 2018 MY.

I'm wondering when this increased demand will lead to increased production by Audi? Sounds like I should be expecting ordering one pretty much at MSRP for the foreseeable future. I will also need to justify the 8%+ premium over A4 sedans that seems pretty easy to come by.

Thanks guys for all the helpful info!
No, although the dealer didn't even question the ED 5% they were also unyielding on everything else. I am expecting to get some give and take at the dealer end - accessories, warranty etc.

As I understand it ED orders are actually via Audi of America, and the dealer is acting more as an agent. They still earn on the deal, but it seems there's less leeway. Given that dealer lots aren't overflowing with unsold ARs, I can't imagine that they'd be that flexible anyway. Perhaps it's just my poor negotiating skills!

As for the premium, for me it comes down to having something which is more practical; one of my requirements was to be able to throw a dog and a bike in the back. A side consideration is that it's more unique than the standard A4, of which I see several parked outside the local Whole Foods on any given day. The same comparison goes for Q5s; I have seen exactly 3 ARs in my area, ever, but I see at least that many white Q5s every day.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The lowest I can get for 2018 Allroad is 6% off MSRP. Two dealers from Southern California and one from Northern California are willing to do that. No discount on Audi Care.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unless Audi seriously re-prioritizes production and increases output of Allroads, I think that pricing is going to stay pretty firm. We have to remember that all of the current owners are "selling" every day when we're extolling the virtues of our rides. Combined with limited production, Allroads are likely to remain kind of scarce.

Personally, I was at about 5.5% off MSRP and had a sense the dealer would go slightly lower on the price. Nothing in stock, so I opted for an incoming/uncommitted car that was due to arrive in a US port in the next couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure he'd noticed the puddle of drool I was forming on their nice showroom carpet.
Old 04-29-2017, 04:19 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I guess it's not certain the 6% will be renewed for 2018 MY.
Seems like it's always been optional, my local dealer wouldn't honor it. Probably one of those "participating dealerships" sorts of things.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got 7% off MSRP on a factory order Prestige with cold and sport. That was back in mid-march.

Worked 3 dealerships against each other for two days via email, wasn't very time consuming or contentious. Two dealerships got to the same spot quickly.

Car currently in production and due here in a month.

Last edited by PhillyAllroad; 04-30-2017 at 04:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Allroad supply & demand - buy now or wait?