A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Allroad vs BMW Wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allroad vs BMW Wagon?

I had a 2013 Allroad Prestige which I loved but sold a couple years ago. I'm back in the market and am having difficulty finding cars to test drive. Anybody drive a B9 Allroad vs a BMW wagon? How about a BMW wagon with Track Handling Package (basically an adaptive sport suspension)? Would love to hear your experience, particularly on ride quality (both corner carving and bumpy city streets) and "felt" speed (I drove an A4 sedan, which was fast but a bit laggy off the line). Of course, I suspect the interior and stereo on the Allroad blows away the BMW but appreciate your views on that as well.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in the U.S. or Canada BMW wagons are becoming hard to find. As I understand it, the new generation 3 Series wagon won't be available in N.A. Some current owners are hoping for a change but it looks unlikely right now based on slow sales of the current outgoing gen..
Old 11-15-2018, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks - yes, I heard that they were discontinuing the BMW Wagon. Still looking for any comparison for anybody who has any significant seat time in both.

thanks
Old 11-29-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

so i typed a long thing, but hit the wrong button so lost posting. so making summary, so i apologize if there is bad grammar in this.

with a dying 2007 VW Rabbit, and a with the adoption of a 80lb Greyhound i needed a new car, in this order i tried out the: Alltrack, V60, Outback, 3series wagon, X1, X3, Q5 and Allroad.

3 wagon m sport -
pros: handled well, very smooth ride, good power getting on highway etc, took some tight fast turns. did feel every bump in the road but very used to this.
cons: comfort - you sit in a go-kart like position, windows felt high limiting visibility, due to feeling so low was nervous taking this thing over speed bumps.
Allroad -pros: great handling, visibility is better [to me], like the interior better [but all i know is VW], HUD was more pleasing to use. likes to take corners fast.
cons: did feel that start stop hesitation at a relight that others have noticed but it seems to be a modern car thing too.
in the end the allroad made more sense for me, i needed something enjoyable to drive, with a bit more room for the dog, but not an SUV. other than using this as a daily driver, I tend to go camping 3+ hrs away so knew i would drive up mountains with washed out gravel roads, so wanted comfort and something that can take a bit of terrain.. but we are not talking "jeep style" off roading. The 3 wagon was fun, but felt less practical for me as a daily driver, it would be fun for driving on the highway, but as a grocery getter, in tight traffic and merging in rush hour traffic i did not see that in this car.

you mentioned not being able to find the cars to test, did you try just perusing all used car lots regardless of brand, sometimes you will find a 1-2yr old german wagon sitting at your local Toyota dealer. i have also seen people recommend, that you post your location to see if anyone would let you try out their car i don't know how often it works but never hurts to try.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have driven BMWs since the '90s and my allroad is my first Audi. When ready to move on from our X3 of course my wife and I test drove the BMW wagon and liked it. Also drove a new X3 a Q5 and a Macan. But we loved the allroad. I like the control of the suspension, the dual clutch transmission and the overall nimble handling. The extra inch or so of clearance is good for us here in Colorado. So after more than a year we still love driving the allroad. Our customer experience with Audi has not matched the car. We have a fabulous BMW dealer here in Colorado Springs, but the Audi dealer not so much. We still have my wife's BMW convertible and will always give BMW a chance when car hunting in the future. For now, the allroad was an excellent choice.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read in a couple of sources that BMW will not offer the new gen 3 Series Sport Wagon in the U,S. It had been rumored so not a big surprise but now it is official.