A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Anyone with Luggage Roof Rack Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone with Luggage Roof Rack Experience?

Sad that I'm trying to make room in the Allroad so the dog can have most of the back compartment area....so here I am asking if anyone has put one of the OEM roof rack luggage systems onto their 2017 or 2018 Allroads yet.

Tell me which one you got. The roof rack bars came with my Prestige. Any experience with wind noise or rattling, etc.? I like the quiet ride without it and don't want to invest if the noise level will increase.

If you have a picture too, that would be most helpful. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MinnesotaRob
Sad that I'm trying to make room in the Allroad so the dog can have most of the back compartment area....so here I am asking if anyone has put one of the OEM roof rack luggage systems onto their 2017 or 2018 Allroads yet.

Tell me which one you got. The roof rack bars came with my Prestige. Any experience with wind noise or rattling, etc.? I like the quiet ride without it and don't want to invest if the noise level will increase.

If you have a picture too, that would be most helpful. Thanks everyone.
Well at least you are not putting the dog on the roof to make more room for luggage!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The following users liked this post:
Aqualung (04-03-2022)
Old 07-06-2017, 05:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RmK_A5

Okay. Maybe you have a point. Hadn't thought about putting the dog up there. Maybe I do have more choices than I thought???
Old 07-22-2017, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of Thule bars from my X3 that work, but you said you got yours with your Prestige. I didn't and wonder what was different for you. Can you tell me how that worked.

Anyway, I have a Yakima Sky Box and it does introduce some noise. Same as on my old X3, so I'll try not to use it unless really needed. The Audi system I saw in the showroom looks to be much more aerodynamic so maybe quieter.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Took my 2017 allroad on an epic family road trip from California to Montana and back with roof bars and a Thule cargo box

I had an older pair of Thule Rapid Aero bars with a rubber strip that goes into the slots along the top. Since they were about 10 years old I ordered new rubber strips and then cut down the old ones to fit into the underside ends of each bar that hang outside the factory roof racks. The bars seemed pretty quiet but with the added strips it got rid of most of the noise. The cargo box introduced more noise but with the sunroof closed and the sunscreen closed it really didn't add much noise.

Mine is a prestige as well and I think the acoustic glass really helps too.

allroad on all roads
Old 08-04-2017, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Thule Flow is one of the slickest and least bulky solutions. Not the most room, but I've put toddler's worth of summer vacation gear in there
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with Luggage Roof Rack Experience?-img_4190.jpg  
Old 08-04-2017, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by resnone1
The Thule Flow is one of the slickest and least bulky solutions. Not the most room, but I've put toddler's worth of summer vacation gear in there
Oh I like this excuse to show off my car

In all seriousness, even when I had a 7-seater SUV I needed the extra cargo space... so it was a no brainer to have it for the Allroad. I have the aero blade bars the Motion XT (L) from Thule. The aero-blades are low profile roof bars and actually make the car looks more aggressive... the downside is that you can't open the sunroof (which i never do anyway)... the Motion XT provides a LOT of storage and it is not that heavy for one person to carry. It is also very easy to attach and detach from the bars. I also have an older XL size box, but it is heavy and I think it is too large for the Allroad. REI is a good place to check them live... that's where I bought them.

Pics below:

Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fdvigna
Oh I like this excuse to show off my car
Nice shot - those are the kind of roads I miss living in South Florida!
Car looks great.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FLkiwi
Nice shot - those are the kind of roads I miss living in South Florida!
Car looks great.
Thanks! Here in the desert (PHX) we don't get rain that often... so a rainbow is really a rare threat. We have great roads and also a lot of off-road opportunities ...and snow in the mountains in the north... AZ offers a very diverse driving conditions...a good place to own a 4x4.

Quick Reply: Anyone with Luggage Roof Rack Experience?