A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

AR Suspension Upgrades - Please Step In

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AR Suspension Upgrades - Please Step In

For those that have installed 034 suspension components to their AR's, I'm curious to know how those effected the driving experience and handling of the car??

Looking for actual feedback on Springs, sway bars, and strut tower braces and the relative impact to the ride quality and handling.

Don't need tire impressions, but if you've upgraded your tires/rims, i'd appreciate hearing what you're running so that can be factored into the ride impressions.

I've always loved the Avants, but simply wanted more performance than the AR had to offer when I purchased. Like everyone here, I continue to hold my breath for an S4 / RS4 Avant, but it doesn't seem all that
likely in the next few years that the US will get one. *sadness*

Thanks for the feedback - Pictures are welcome!

gr
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll chime in with some early first impressions.
Last week I had the 034 Dynamic+ Rear Sway Bar and Front Strut Brace installed and paired along with the Rear Subframe Mount Insert and Adjustable Rear Endlinks (but not the Dynamic+ Springs). I'm still holding out for an adjustable option to get confirmed before picking a direction. Would like the ability to go from a Sport Suspension height, back up to a "stockish" Allroad height for the dirt, beach and mountain roads if I was so inclined and I'm hoping that there will be some sort of news before the Spring/Summer season gets here but I digress.

First impressions are strong. The sort of floaty stock tendencies are pulled together quite a bit. The Rear Sway Bar does what a Rear Sway Bar is supposed to do....even at "Frankie Four Finger" stock height. I would imagine once the wagon is dropped a bit it will shine all that more. The Front Strut Brace really helps with some of the flex and "driftiness" that the Allroad presented in its stock format. It doesn't get pushed around as much and feels much more planted. You also feel the road more than you had with the flimsy factory brace but I'm sure that's not something you're really going to be that upset about coming from a more planted S4. To me, you just feel a little more "in touch" with the roads surface. I actually see it as a positive adjustment because you're still maintaining plenty of comfort level plus the added bonus of a tighter ride. I would honestly be surprised if you had issue with the change. Also, mind you, I'm driving in "Individual" mode maxed out on "dynamic" settings across the board. I'm sure in "comfort" mode, any more feel of the road is likely reduced even more. I'm still only a few rides into the change (the Allroad is not a daily) but will come back with some more impressions from this weekend as we're heading out for a road trip journey.

Also, keep in mind this is all on the stock tires and wheels, which i will say, I do believe are partly to blame for some of the stock handling. I'm looking forward to getting my Summer Wheel and Tire set on when the time comes. Have some Wheels already - just trying to decide on a tire.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions as I'm happy to drone on more if needed.

Last edited by Fantasiamon; 01-25-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good Stuff, thank you!

Keep us posted as you add more bits and pieces.

And I agree, there's validity in wanting an adjustable ride height for those times when you'd like to go off-road, or in deep snow vs. the daily driver and corner carver lower ride height.

If I recall correctly, the earlier Allroads based on the A6 platform did have an option of AirRide suspension. Like the optional system in the Q7, this would be the ideal way to shift between higher and lower heights.

gr
Old 01-26-2018, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
Keep us posted as you add more bits and pieces.
I will have no problem doing that. Build/Progression thread is on its way. Hopefully will get something posted this weekend.

And I agree, there's validity in wanting an adjustable ride height for those times when you'd like to go off-road, or in deep snow vs. the daily driver and corner carver lower ride height.

If I recall correctly, the earlier Allroads based on the A6 platform did have an option of AirRide suspension. Like the optional system in the Q7, this would be the ideal way to shift between higher and lower heights.
Correct. The older platform did have a OEM air ride setup. While i do like the idea of an air ride set up (whether OEM of After market) I'm not really interested in losing cargo space or a spare tire, nor am I into dealing with potential air line leaks or bag leaks and all that. Doesn't always occur but for me its just not something i want to deal with. Typical passengers along side me are the Wife, the Kid and the Puppy. So having a line freeze on a ski trip to Northern Vermont or something just ain't my thing. Hence, adjustable springs.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
I'll chime in with some early first impressions.
Last week I had the 034 Dynamic+ Rear Sway Bar and Front Strut Brace installed and paired along with the Rear Subframe Mount Insert and Adjustable Rear Endlinks (but not the Dynamic+ Springs). I'm still holding out for an adjustable option to get confirmed before picking a direction. Would like the ability to go from a Sport Suspension height, back up to a "stockish" Allroad height for the dirt, beach and mountain roads if I was so inclined and I'm hoping that there will be some sort of news before the Spring/Summer season gets here but I digress.

First impressions are strong. The sort of floaty stock tendencies are pulled together quite a bit. The Rear Sway Bar does what a Rear Sway Bar is supposed to do....even at "Frankie Four Finger" stock height. I would imagine once the wagon is dropped a bit it will shine all that more. The Front Strut Brace really helps with some of the flex and "driftiness" that the Allroad presented in its stock format. It doesn't get pushed around as much and feels much more planted. You also feel the road more than you had with the flimsy factory brace but I'm sure that's not something you're really going to be that upset about coming from a more planted S4. To me, you just feel a little more "in touch" with the roads surface. I actually see it as a positive adjustment because you're still maintaining plenty of comfort level plus the added bonus of a tighter ride. I would honestly be surprised if you had issue with the change. Also, mind you, I'm driving in "Individual" mode maxed out on "dynamic" settings across the board. I'm sure in "comfort" mode, any more feel of the road is likely reduced even more. I'm still only a few rides into the change (the Allroad is not a daily) but will come back with some more impressions from this weekend as we're heading out for a road trip journey.

Also, keep in mind this is all on the stock tires and wheels, which i will say, I do believe are partly to blame for some of the stock handling. I'm looking forward to getting my Summer Wheel and Tire set on when the time comes. Have some Wheels already - just trying to decide on a tire.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions as I'm happy to drone on more if needed.

I had the front strut brace installed and agree with your assessment, you fell more steady and less floaty. But I will also chime in about tires. I swapped out my OEM tires and replaced them with Michelin SPORT A/S 3's and couldn't be happier and it was a bigger improvement in handling and safety than the front strut brace. I also got Blizzaks for the snow - and the little I drove them in the snow (NE NJ) I appreciated them over the All Seasons.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys know if the products from 034 would affect any Audi warranty? I am interested in installing at least the front strut brace and the cold air intake from 034.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIIVIO
Do you guys know if the products from 034 would affect any Audi warranty? I am interested in installing at least the front strut brace and the cold air intake from 034.
Front Strut Brace shouldn't. Tough to make an argument not to cover something because of a Front Strut Brace. However, the Cold Air Intake might be arguable. I opted out of it to be on the safe side.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fantasiamon
Front Strut Brace shouldn't. Tough to make an argument not to cover something because of a Front Strut Brace. However, the Cold Air Intake might be arguable. I opted out of it to be on the safe side.
Agreed.
Suspension components are "passive" add ons that simply stiffen up the chassis and existing suspension members.
Cold Air intakes are high on the list of components with a low return on investment - meaning, less bang for the buck. They also rank higher on the list of root causes for engine component failures (read MAF / ECU / Water Incursion) if something happens to your engine that can be PROVEN to cause a failure. That's a stretch, but it is a possibility.

Further to the ROI on the CAI: really, the only true value of these things is a louder intake honk under the hood. While I'm all about that, the cost for that pleasure is really not worth the cost of entry.
I've been this route on other cars, and personally i'd steer clear unless you plan on doing a full exhaust upgrade with an ECU tweak to maximize the limited performance upgrades inherent with a CAI.
Just my 2 cents.

gr
Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Agreed.
Suspension components are "passive" add ons that simply stiffen up the chassis and existing suspension members.
Cold Air intakes are high on the list of components with a low return on investment - meaning, less bang for the buck. They also rank higher on the list of root causes for engine component failures (read MAF / ECU / Water Incursion) if something happens to your engine that can be PROVEN to cause a failure. That's a stretch, but it is a possibility.

Further to the ROI on the CAI: really, the only true value of these things is a louder intake honk under the hood. While I'm all about that, the cost for that pleasure is really not worth the cost of entry.
I've been this route on other cars, and personally i'd steer clear unless you plan on doing a full exhaust upgrade with an ECU tweak to maximize the limited performance upgrades inherent with a CAI.
Just my 2 cents.

gr
Cool Thanks guys. I will just install the front and rear sway bars then.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Late reply here, but had the 034 dynamic+ springs installed yesterday. In Dynamic drive mode, initial impressions are less floaty and hangs in a bit more on aggressive cornering. Only thing I'm not crazy about is the reverse rake here.

Last edited by bosatsu; 02-03-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Quick Reply: AR Suspension Upgrades - Please Step In