A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Bringing my Allroad in for EXpel and a Coating

Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Bringing my Allroad in for EXpel and a Coating

I have decided to get my Allroad's front (hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights) done with Expel followed with a coating. Actually will be bringing my car in this morning and should be ready in a couple of days. I am not getting the whole car done as I think that's not necessarily passing the cost-benefit thing, though I may be regretting that if/when scratches/pings start appearing elsewhere. But taking into consideration where I'm living/driving and my intention on keeping this Allroad for quite some time, it's money pretty well spent as much, if not more, for peace of mind rather than any depreciation.
Regarding the coating - Nanolex in this case, I have decided to get a PRO level coating for its longer lasting durability (and maybe deeper shine) over a self applied coating. However, I have used good self applied coatings (Cquartz and Wolfgang's) with excellent results on my prior cars - though I only had my Q5 long enough - 1.5 years -2 years, to assess durability and all my cars have been kept in garages at night. For all those inclined to detail their own cars and up to the task, I would suggest a coating over a sealant or wax for a way more increase in protection and ultimately, over time, much less time spent washing the car. But self detailing is a whole nother world unto itself.

Besides the obvious protection, I'm a little curious as to how that Gotland green will look when properly prepped and coated. I'll ask my detailer to take some before and after pics and post them here.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I have decided to get my Allroad's front (hood, bumper, fenders, mirrors, headlights) done with Expel followed with a coating. Actually will be bringing my car in this morning and should be ready in a couple of days. I am not getting the whole car done as I think that's not necessarily passing the cost-benefit thing, though I may be regretting that if/when scratches/pings start appearing elsewhere. But taking into consideration where I'm living/driving and my intention on keeping this Allroad for quite some time, it's money pretty well spent as much, if not more, for peace of mind rather than any depreciation.
Regarding the coating - Nanolex in this case, I have decided to get a PRO level coating for its longer lasting durability (and maybe deeper shine) over a self applied coating. However, I have used good self applied coatings (Cquartz and Wolfgang's) with excellent results on my prior cars - though I only had my Q5 long enough - 1.5 years -2 years, to assess durability and all my cars have been kept in garages at night. For all those inclined to detail their own cars and up to the task, I would suggest a coating over a sealant or wax for a way more increase in protection and ultimately, over time, much less time spent washing the car. But self detailing is a whole nother world unto itself.

Besides the obvious protection, I'm a little curious as to how that Gotland green will look when properly prepped and coated. I'll ask my detailer to take some before and after pics and post them here.
I'd suggest adding a strip to the top of rear bumper. If you take a look at used Avants/Allroads the top of the rear bumper where stuff rubs if you're not careful to lift when removing cargo tends to get pretty scratched up. I did the same coverage you did and then added the rear bumper and a-pillars. I'm also playing around with how to protect the lens on the front camera.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by CoMeader
I'd suggest adding a strip to the top of rear bumper. If you take a look at used Avants/Allroads the top of the rear bumper where stuff rubs if you're not careful to lift when removing cargo tends to get pretty scratched up. I did the same coverage you did and then added the rear bumper and a-pillars. I'm also playing around with how to protect the lens on the front camera.

Yep, rear top bumper - notorious for scratches and A Pillars being done - along with gas cap door.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I asked my detailer about wrapping the camera and he says they don't do it because it introduces distortion to the lense.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I asked my detailer about wrapping the camera and he says they don't do it because it introduces distortion to the lense.
I was thinking of trying to cut out a piece of screen protector from a smart phone and seeing how that works. I was also going to ask my detailer whether any of the Opti-Coat products would work to protect the cameras.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I was thinking of trying to cut out a piece of screen protector from a smart phone and seeing how that works. I was also going to ask my detailer whether any of the Opti-Coat products would work to protect the cameras.
Certainly can't hurt to ask about it. I'm also curious as to what your detailer says.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Here's some pics on the progress. Wash - paint correct - wrap. Well, starting the wrap. Ok, before I pass on from God's good earth I'm gonna figure out how to get pics up here straight up, not sideways. Or find some 16 year old and hand it off to them So, my apologies in advance for the improper facing pics. Later on the Nanolex coating x 2. You gotta love that Gotland Green though. I'm told the Nanolex imparts a slightly deeper/darker color and that's not a bad thing.
Detailing work done by Phil and crew at Detailer's Domain, NJ. More about that later.
Attached Images       
Attached Files
File Type: html
AR 4.html (777.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 02-07-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ooopps. Here's the Xpel just applied before smooooooothin' out and trimmin'.
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Looking good so far. Detailer's Domain does great work.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Looking good so far. Detailer's Domain does great work.
Thanks, Matt. Yes, they do. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bringing my Allroad in for EXpel and a Coating