A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

A/C Off

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C Off

I live in a cold climate so haven't needed air conditioning since I took delivery in September. Fast forward to this week and it's marginally warm and sunny enough to try it out. Unfortunately regardless of whether 'auto' is selected or not, I am unable to switch to A/C On or A/C Max. What am I doing wrong? When I push on that silver button it just stays the bottom option - A/C Off.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It is likely that AC has been running all winter, except when temperatures outside were below 37°, if you were in AUTO mode. This helps to dehumidify.
Old 04-01-2018, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

But now the temperature is well above 37 and it still always says A/C off with lukewarm air coming out.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had the car new I was somehow not smart enough for these buttons, which are touch sensitive and go up and down. I was just trying to push it and couldn't make it work, until I realized I could also "pull the switch up" to do what I wanted...
May be obvious but thought it might help
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

The second silver toggle switch from the left can be moved up or down. The three settings are AC Off, AC On, and AC Max. Lift up on it to urn the AC on. If that doesn't work, see your dealer.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update: the toggle switch still wouldn’t work so I took my allroad to a dealer today. They just called me and said there is zero refrigerant, as I suspected. Dealer is claiming a rock or something similar caused a leak but they have not found it yet. I am suspect as I do not think the air conditioning ever worked. The car also came without wiper fluid or much gas so I am thinking it is possible refrigerant was never put in. Is refrigerant something filled at the factory or delivering dealer?

Does anyone think there will be any damage from not having any refrigerant for the first 7 months of driving? This dealer says any repairs will not be covered under warranty because the car was damaged by external factors. They said insurance may pay for it but I doubt they will.

Last edited by crystalmountainskier; 04-23-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier
Update: the toggle switch still wouldn’t work so I took my allroad to a dealer today. They just called me and said there is zero refrigerant, as I suspected. Dealer is claiming a rock or something similar caused a leak but they have not found it yet. I am suspect as I do not think the air conditioning ever worked. The car also came without wiper fluid or much gas so I am thinking it is possible refrigerant was never put in. Is refrigerant something filled at the factory or delivering dealer?

Does anyone think there will be any damage from not having any refrigerant for the first 9 months of driving? This dealer says any repairs will not be covered under warranty because the car was damaged by external factors. They said insurance may pay for it but I doubt they will.
You should contact Audi USA directly. Something doesn't sound right.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:02 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by archrenov8
You should contact Audi USA directly. Something doesn't sound right.
Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier

Does anyone think there will be any damage from not having any refrigerant for the first 7 months of driving? This dealer says any repairs will not be covered under warranty because the car was damaged by external factors. They said insurance may pay for it but I doubt they will.
That's such BS. Did they preform a dye leak test?! Whwre was the leak from? I would certainly call AOA.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Allroading17
That's such BS. Did they preform a dye leak test?! Whwre was the leak from? I would certainly call AOA.

Agree with this and archrenov8. I'm not a mechanic, but you don't have to be to be realizing something's wrong with what your dealer is telling you.
Also I thought dealer part of dealer prep was to make sure all fluids were filled. I would make mention off that. Another pet peeve because I have seen this when test driving an Audi, is that the salesman filled with non-premium fuel. What the heck!
Hopefully this will be resolved soon.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Allroading17
Service advisor said something about the 2018s having a brand new AC system and not having the proper equipment to do a leak test. They are holding the car a couple days and seeing if it leaks on its own after being filled with refrigerant. This is a high volume AutoNation dealer in a major American city. Not the same dealer that forgot the fluids upon delivery.

Quick Reply: A/C Off