A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Double click sound when first accelerates after started the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Double click sound when first accelerates after started the car

This might not be a problem but I'm just very curious and hope someone can give me a good answer: every time(or at least 80% of the time) after I started the engine and press the gas pedal, within 20 seconds I can hear a double click sound coming from underneath the gas pedal, I've been wondering if that's the clutch that makes the sounds or should I be worry about it. The car is B9 Allroad. I will be appreciated if someone can help me.
The following users liked this post:
Civilian401 (06-10-2021)
Old 05-17-2018, 05:45 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Do you notice it a few seconds after first driving? If so it's it probably a systems check I believe brake related.. My Q7 does the same thing and is normal.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting - I just had a 2018 Q5 loaner while my Q7 was in for service. I noticed the same thing. I don't recall my allroad doing that, but I'll test it out tonight.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an Audi tech hop in my car right after I bought it for the same clicks. He said it’s the ABS system calibrating. Happens in my car after I start it up, around 25mph.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ting Hang
This might not be a problem but I'm just very curious and hope someone can give me a good answer: every time(or at least 80% of the time) after I started the engine and press the gas pedal, within 20 seconds I can hear a double click sound coming from underneath the gas pedal, I've been wondering if that's the clutch that makes the sounds or should I be worry about it. The car is B9 Allroad. I will be appreciated if someone can help me.
Same experience here.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Normal brake systems check. Occurs on all B9 Allroads and 2017-newer Q7's (I assume new Q5 also but I haven't driven one). It occurs each time the car is started once it reaches a set speed (I believe its 25 mph). Some vehicles it is more prominent then others.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmhawk
Normal brake systems check. Occurs on all B9 Allroads and 2017-newer Q7's (I assume new Q5 also but I haven't driven one). It occurs each time the car is started once it reaches a set speed (I believe its 25 mph). Some vehicles it is more prominent then others.
There are a couple of TSB's that address this question. The most relevant sounding is #2047919/2, which dates from July 2017 and states no repairs are necessary:

"The ABS/ESP system performs a short self-check during which all valves of the hydraulic unit are operated at the same time and the return pump runs briefly. This functionality ensures the pre-load of the ABS pump and the readiness of the Pre-Sense System if required.

The self-check is necessary for a correct operation of the ABS/ESP system. The resulting noises are unavoidable.

Individually the volume of this self-check can be perceived differently. This depends on various factors such as the general noise level in the vehicle, driving conditions, and etc.

Therefore, the volume of this self-check may be perceived differently from vehicle to vehicle."

It's pretty prominent in mine as a short clatter and invariably happens at the first acceleration through 25 mph after a cold start.

There is also another bulletin that describes clicking noises at less than 10 mph from the brakes, for which replacement of the front brake pads is necessary but limited to quattro models.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Confirmed - my allroad does it, but it's much less noticeable than the Q5 loaner I was driving. I can barely hear/feel it in the allroad. Thanks for letting us know it's normal!
Old 01-21-2020, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have the same clicking condition and was told by the dealer tech it is speed related (20 mph I think) and it is the hydraulic engine mounts locking. ???
Old 01-23-2020, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by peterson81
I have the same clicking condition and was told by the dealer tech it is speed related (20 mph I think) and it is the hydraulic engine mounts locking. ???
Better ask your dealer to read TSB 2047919/2. If it happens at 25mph (conveniently 40kph) it is the ABS self-check:

There are a couple of TSB's that address this question. The most relevant sounding is #2047919/2, which dates from July 2017 and states no repairs are necessary:

"The ABS/ESP system performs a short self-check during which all valves of the hydraulic unit are operated at the same time and the return pump runs briefly. This functionality ensures the pre-load of the ABS pump and the readiness of the Pre-Sense System if required.

The self-check is necessary for a correct operation of the ABS/ESP system. The resulting noises are unavoidable.

Individually the volume of this self-check can be perceived differently. This depends on various factors such as the general noise level in the vehicle, driving conditions, and etc.

Therefore, the volume of this self-check may be perceived differently from vehicle to vehicle."

Quick Reply: Double click sound when first accelerates after started the car