A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Driving in snow, drive select of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Driving in snow, drive select of choice?

Now that winter is upon us - first light snow in NE NJ, what mode are selecting for the snow? The roads here tonight were clean, but wet and already salted, but there were some puddles to go through and the temps were at 30 F,so could have been some icy patches, but I figured the "OFF ROAD" was the best choice for the ride home. Anyone else?
Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the drive mode really matter, for me the best settings for winter drive is soft suspension and you want be be in lower gear all the time so S mode or manual. Also TC off.
By the way I'm in NJ too and got showered by salt spreaders twice
Old 12-10-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Well, soft suspension and soft throttle would be the key. S mode is the wrong mode in the snow. Throttle will be too sensitive to start moving in slippery condition. I would say Comfort or Off Road is probably it. Off Road will permanently engage AWD, whereas Comfort might decide to go FWD once you are moving. Quattro Ultra always starts in AWD mode, regardless of the current mode, so you shouldn't have traction issues from a stop in any mode. So the key really is smooth throttle inputs, which is more achievable with the engine in Comfort/Auto mode, hence D for the transmission.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, soft suspension and soft throttle would be the key. S mode is the wrong mode in the snow. Throttle will be too sensitive to start moving in slippery condition. I would say Comfort or Off Road is probably it. Off Road will permanently engage AWD, whereas Comfort might decide to go FWD once you are moving. Quattro Ultra always starts in AWD mode, regardless of the current mode, so you shouldn't have traction issues from a stop in any mode. So the key really is smooth throttle inputs, which is more achievable with the engine in Comfort/Auto mode, hence D for the transmission.
We have to define "snow conditions" here, if driving in a foot of snow off road setting maybe is better (60/40) rear/front. Driving in some snow on the road makes no difference, also it doesn't matter in what mode you're under 4 C degrees AWD is permanent. I disagree with the D setting for snow, don't know what you mean by "soft throttle" I can start moving on first gear very gently or like on a mission. Lower gear/higher revs you have better throttle control and instant power if need it for correction. Also going downhill you can keep same speed using the engine as brake. I personally drive in M mode in these conditions because doesn't matter how smart the software is still finds ways to **** me off
Old 12-10-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by tsetso
We have to define "snow conditions" here, if driving in a foot of snow off road setting maybe is better (60/40) rear/front. Driving in some snow on the road makes no difference, also it doesn't matter in what mode you're under 4 C degrees AWD is permanent. I disagree with the D setting for snow, don't know what you mean by "soft throttle" I can start moving on first gear very gently or like on a mission. Lower gear/higher revs you have better throttle control and instant power if need it for correction. Also going downhill you can keep same speed using the engine as brake. I personally drive in M mode in these conditions because doesn't matter how smart the software is still finds ways to **** me off
What I mean is that lower gear and sensitive throttle are counterproductive if you try to get moving in snow. With a manual transmission, many start off in 2nd gear on snow to reduce the wheel torque and reduce the chance of the wheels spinning. So higher gear is generally better to reduce the wheel torque and keep the wheels from spinning.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
What I mean is that lower gear and sensitive throttle are counterproductive if you try to get moving in snow. With a manual transmission, many start off in 2nd gear on snow to reduce the wheel torque and reduce the chance of the wheels spinning. So higher gear is generally better to reduce the wheel torque and keep the wheels from spinning.
I've been doing it wrong all these years whatever works for you is good. There are too many variables for the right choice, driver/tires/car/engine (diesel or gas) Usually if I can't pull off in first gear I stay home.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been doing it wrong all these years whatever works for you is good. There are too many variables for the right choice, driver/tires/car/engine (diesel or gas) Usually if I can't pull off in first gear I stay home.
Starting off in 1st gear is fine. The point is that by being in sport the car is going to hold gears longer and keep the engine rev'd up for quicker response. Blipping the throttle on ice is going to cause to to lose traction much faster in a lower gear.

It is also going to downshift more aggressively to keep the engine in the power band. While good for performance driving, downshifting too early on ice can cause you to lose traction.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Count Rushmore
Starting off in 1st gear is fine. The point is that by being in sport the car is going to hold gears longer and keep the engine rev'd up for quicker response. Blipping the throttle on ice is going to cause to to lose traction much faster in a lower gear.

It is also going to downshift more aggressively to keep the engine in the power band. While good for performance driving, downshifting too early on ice can cause you to lose traction.
Thru but guys let's get real here, AllRoad it's not a sport car. No one drives on ice more than a mile before kissing a ditch unless studded snow tires are used. By high revs I mean 2500-3000 RPM (perfect middle) When on D mode the car computer goes like...I've got to safe fuel,I've got to safe fuel,I've got to safe fuel,I've got to safe fuel and keeps the RPM at 1500. By keeping the revs between 2500-3000 you can use the engine as brake and (personal opinion) you feel the road much better, you know how much grip just bleeping the throttle, then adjust speed and distance accordingly. For me cruising in D gives you false sense security, how do you know how much grip you got. The Eskimo have more than 70 words for snow! Usually when really cold you got more grip but then depends on the snow. As I mentioned in the previous post, to many variables for one fits them all solution but most of the winter accidents I've seen are people go way to fast for road conditions, first snow is the most dangerous (still summer mentality)
Be safe.....drive smart
Old 12-10-2017, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't think the drive mode really matter, for me the best settings for winter drive is soft suspension and you want be be in lower gear all the time so S mode or manual. Also TC off.
By the way I'm in NJ too and got showered by salt spreaders twice
Why TC off?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Why TC off?
TC should be on.

Maybe try turning it off if you are legitimately stuck and trying with TC on hasn't worked.

Quick Reply: Driving in snow, drive select of choice?