A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Driving in snow, drive select of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Why TC off?
TC should be on, unless you are stuck in snow. Then you need to turn TC off, otherwise it will kill engine power as it desperately tries to slow down the wheels to get traction, but if all wheels have little traction, then TC will become counterproductive as it cuts engine power and the car won't go anywhere.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why TC off?
Hmm, for many reasons but the main one is I have a build in TC in my right foot
I just realized (after asking google) that all I've said is wrong how I survive 35 years driving is a miracle! (Reference: Snow & ice driving myths - Drivingfast.net)
So please ignore what I've said and follow the car manufacture instructions or your natural survival instinct.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now that winter is upon us - first light snow in NE NJ, what mode are selecting for the snow? The roads here tonight were clean, but wet and already salted, but there were some puddles to go through and the temps were at 30 F,so could have been some icy patches, but I figured the "OFF ROAD" was the best choice for the ride home. Anyone else?
My recollection is that off-road mode disables some of the collision avoidance stuff, so might be worth checking the manual. I did 15k miles last winter here in CO. I just left the car in auto and drive when we had snow and didn't have a single issue. Running the LM001's for my winter tire, so that might have reduced the need to do any fiddling with settings.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After 3000 miles drive (some snow too) for me all this drive modes are gimmicks. I'm really impressed by the new "quattro ultra" in the snow. It's supposed to be front-wheel drive-based but with all electronic nannies off and pushed hard there are moments it feels like rear wheel drive car.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by tsetso
After 3000 miles drive (some snow too) for me all this drive modes are gimmicks. I'm really impressed by the new "quattro ultra" in the snow. It's supposed to be front-wheel drive-based but with all electronic nannies off and pushed hard there are moments it feels like rear wheel drive car.
Yeah, in the regular models I find Drive Select to be largely a gimmick as well. The spread between 'comfort' and 'dynamic' is barely a spread. Whenever I drive an A something I end up just leaving it in 'auto', because I barely notice a difference in 'comfort' and 'dynamic' and even if there is a difference it's so small I wonder why they even bothered. But Drive Select comes into its own in RS models and the R8. That's where 'dynamic' mode is the mode that beats you up and is really not suited for comfortable every day type driving, so there it becomes a matter of having two cars in one. It can be the performance car as advertised or a tamed version that you can drive to the grocery store relatively comfortably.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yeah, in the regular models I find Drive Select to be largely a gimmick as well. The spread between 'comfort' and 'dynamic' is barely a spread. Whenever I drive an A something I end up just leaving it in 'auto', because I barely notice a difference in 'comfort' and 'dynamic' and even if there is a difference it's so small I wonder why they even bothered. But Drive Select comes into its own in RS models and the R8. That's where 'dynamic' mode is the mode that beats you up and is really not suited for comfortable every day type driving, so there it becomes a matter of having two cars in one. It can be the performance car as advertised or a tamed version that you can drive to the grocery store relatively comfortably.
Never drove RS model but I'm sure RS isn't just a fancy badge I have a golf R and the difference between Comfort and R ( VW speak for dynamic) is day and night.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've driven recently in NH in the snow and ice. I am super impressed with the AR here. I've just come from BMWs (3er, X3, X5) to Audi and it's night and day. Audi is so much better. More poised and always in control.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Fiermonti
I've driven recently in NH in the snow and ice. I am super impressed with the AR here. I've just come from BMWs (3er, X3, X5) to Audi and it's night and day. Audi is so much better. More poised and always in control.

Seth,

Were you running snow tires or AS?
Old 12-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-33 Celsius and fresh snow here. Just leave the car in Comfort and it drives perfectly fine.

Love everyone going half the speed limit and I can cruise by safely without a problem.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

So, does anyone use the Off Road mode at all - for anyting?

Quick Reply: Driving in snow, drive select of choice?