A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Heating Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:39 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Heating Issue?

I am wondering if anyone has experience this.

When I first start the Allroad after it has been sitting overnight I need to leave the interior temp setting on “High” for the first 45-50 mins of driving in order for the interior to heat up. If I set the temp control setting to any other setting the vents blow cool (not cold) air.

For example, after driving for approx 20 mins on several occasions, I lowered the temp setting to 84 degrees and the vent would still blow cool air. Only after driving for approx 45-50 mins am I able to lower the control to 84 and receive heat. In addition even after driving for 50 mins, if I try to lower the temp control to anything below 80 degrees it blows cool (again not cold) air.

On a very cold morning I lowered the temp to 74 degrees after driving approx 30 mins and within 2 mins the interior windows fogged up. And no, the recirculate system was not on and it wasn’t raining outside. It's frustrating because on our Q7 after 15 mins I can't keep the temp setting over 73 or the interior gets too warm.

I put a call into service and while awaiting a response figured I would ask.

Thanks.

Last edited by JT4; 01-16-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
I am wondering if anyone has experience this.

When I first start the Allroad after it has been sitting overnight I need to leave the interior temp setting on “High” for the first 45-50 mins of driving in order for the interior to heat up. If I set the temp control setting to any other setting the vents blow cool (not cold) air.

For example, after driving for approx 20 mins on several occasions, I lowered the temp setting to 84 degrees and the vent would still blow cool air. Only after driving for approx 45-50 mins am I able to lower the control to 84 and receive heat. In addition even after driving for 50 mins, if I try to lower the temp control to anything below 80 degrees it blows cool (again not cold) air.

On a very cold morning I lowered the temp to 74 degrees after driving approx 30 mins and within 2 mins the interior windows fogged up. And no, the recirculate system was not on and it wasn’t raining outside. It's frustrating because on our Q7 after 15 mins I can't keep the temp setting over 73 or the interior gets too warm.

I put a call into service and while awaiting a response figured I would ask.

Thanks.
Sounds like you have a problem that should be dealt with under warranty. I haven’t experienced any issues with mine but it’s only a year old. What you describe sounds like a malfunction.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:41 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yup, my thought's exactly, I'm bringing it in on Saturday and plan on leaving it for several days..

Funny thing is I only experience this on the first engine start of the day after the car has sat all night. Even yesterday after having the issue on my drive to work in the morning, got in the car 9 hours later to go home and the interior warmed up normally within 10 mins and was able to keep the temp setting in the 70's and received heat.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JT4
Yup, my thought's exactly, I'm bringing it in on Saturday and plan on leaving it for several days..

Funny thing is I only experience this on the first engine start of the day after the car has sat all night. Even yesterday after having the issue on my drive to work in the morning, got in the car 9 hours later to go home and the interior warmed up normally within 10 mins and was able to keep the temp setting in the 70's and received heat.
please update once you get it looked at! i have a similar issue, but assumed i did not understand how to use the system. After 45 min with the manual and some youtube-ing i feel like i am doing it right. it looks like the air only gets warm when set to 78+ and put on max. right now where i live its 35-40F and rainy, so i was trying to keep it around 70-72 and that results in cool air for most of my commute to work. If i bring more than myself into the car it fogs right up, so i have to use the max defrost button on group outings.

i live about an hour away from the dealership. So i am making a list of items, to get looked at during my next oil change so i can get everything at once. For now i am using the heated seats/ wheel to keep self warm and it works great. but it would be great to know if it is something they can resolve and if it was under warranty. thanks!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:15 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

UPDATE:

Fortunately the service technician was able to duplicate the issue exactly as I described it, when the temp was set to anything but "High" it would blow cool air..

The tech found that one of the coolant hoses was severely pinched, and he also noticed a slight coolant leak around the thermostat housing.. So he replaced the hose, installed a new thermostat, flushed and replaced the coolant and now everything is working as it should.. Finally I am getting heat with the temp setting in the 70's ..
Old 01-24-2019, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i am glad to hear they were able to easily diagnose it, and most importantly that you are now getting heat!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:22 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by patronsaintofpie
i am glad to hear they were able to easily diagnose it, and most importantly that you are now getting heat!
Me too...

I'm not kidding, I was getting ready to hear the usual they found nothing wrong and it was "operating as designed".. Which would have meant more trips back and forth to service.. So I was pleasantly surprised when I got the call and was told what they found...