A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Looking for advice on a stage 1 tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on a stage 1 tune

I've got a 2017 B9 Allroad and am just about at 40k miles. I thought about doing a piggyback module but decided to do a stage 1 tune instead. What have your experiences with APR and AWE? Do you prefer one over the other? Any others you would suggest? I'm not looking to go crazy, just want a little more power to play with.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had an APR Stage 1 tune on my '15 A4. It was amazing - really nice power increase throughout the entire powerband, drivability was fantastic and smooth, and the gas mileage even improved even with my heavy foot. The only issue is, it will void your warranty on any powertrain issues (and possibly more). You might want to wait till after your warranty runs out. I don't know much about the AWE software, so I'll defer if it's as good or better.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, that’s good to know. Did you find that that the tune provided a more predictable/consistent power band? My main issue with the current Drive mode is that it doesn’t always know what gear to be in when coming out of sharp turns and ends up hesitating for a second before kicking into gear.

Last edited by wwfan; 03-27-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It was predictably fast. Lol Totally felt like a different car. No lag from the little turbo, at all.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 161 Likes on 93 Posts

Honestly it would depend on what shop you like and what they sell. I think Unitronic, Revo and APR would be my top choices (and not in that order). I'm going with APR but it is because the shop I like sells APR and the HQ is not too far from me. Having a shop to support you if something goes wrong is more important than peak numbers but that is just me...
Old 04-01-2019, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by wwfan
Thanks, that’s good to know. Did you find that that the tune provided a more predictable/consistent power band? My main issue with the current Drive mode is that it doesn’t always know what gear to be in when coming out of sharp turns and ends up hesitating for a second before kicking into gear.
That seems more like a transmission tune issue, the ECU will help with the throttle response, but the gearing issue will still be there in the Auto mode. Easiest fix for that would either be the Dynamic mode or using the paddles to hold the gear you want.

As far as APR vs. AWE, don't think AWE has a ECU tune available for this cars, but both APR and REVO are reputable tuners for this platform. Nowadays tuning is pretty safe, but I'd recommend you go a step colder spark plugs if you end up tuning to help prevent any misfires, especially since you have over 40k miles on the clock already.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by A5Newbie
That seems more like a transmission tune issue, the ECU will help with the throttle response, but the gearing issue will still be there in the Auto mode. Easiest fix for that would either be the Dynamic mode or using the paddles to hold the gear you want.
Check out DTUK TCU+ transmission tune. It's great. I'd suggest that with or without a tune/piggyback.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZyB0ne
Check out DTUK TCU+ transmission tune. It's great. I'd suggest that with or without a tune/piggyback.

Have you used the DTUK product?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by veloAR
Have you used the DTUK product?
Yes, I've had it on my car since October.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Only two tuners have software for the B9 2.0t engines.

Revo and apr.

Revo is the only tuner with stage 2 file, and currently the fastest in the USA.

I have Revo on my car if you have any questions. Love it.

Quick Reply: Looking for advice on a stage 1 tune