A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

More Audi Wagons in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Victoryroad
Yes, avants/wagons are definitely considered more stylish in the northeast US, but as Le Chef said, "Each to his or her own."
The last short-roof vehicle I owned was a 1991 SAAB 9000S hatchback. I loved it, but it got me interested in more roof, and I have never looked back. Every now and then, I will see a hatchback or sportback that catches my eye, but they just lack the utility of a long roof. Sedans just don't make sense for me.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone in my family, including me, REFUSES to buy a sedan LOL
Arguments are: Why?; Boring; Ugly; Makes no sense; "Where would i put stuff?"; Why?
Old 07-04-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saab Owners!

This seems to be where the Saab owners went! We had 6 Saabs at one time in our family! We named all our Saabs as they were "family members"! Three Saabs for my wife and I, two for our kids, and one for my brother! Our Saabs were wonderful! My wife cried when we got rid of her 9-5. It was 13 years old when we sold it, and it still looked and drove like new. She loved that car! She then got a new Volvo S80, which she still has and it is ok, but in my opinion, nothing more than ok. There is no emotional attachment.

Very shortly we will be out looking for a new vehicle for her. The Audi Allroad is on the list to look at. Although I am not an SUV fan, (I really do like wagons though), I am smitten by what I am reading about the Alpha Romeo Stelvio. We have driven the Giulia, and the driving experience brings back fond memories of our Saabs. Sporty, sort of quirky, and fun to drive, and unique looking. The Stelvio should drive similarly to the Giulia. (and besides, we have driven through the Stelvio pass in the Dolomites!) There are other cars on our "look at and drive" list.......and some make sense, and some don't. (Mercedes C and E class and GLH SUV, Audi A6 and Q5 SUV, Jaguar XF, Porsche Macan SUV, BMW 5 series) I know that the type vehicles and price range is all over the place. Making sense was never a strong point for us though in choosing vehicles......(like depreciation factors for example, or what other people think of our choices) For us it is how do we enjoy the vehicle/s we drive. (so how did we end up with her Volvo?......It had a large trunk capacity....don't ask!)

Cars are very subjective. And everyone has different needs and different price points, and different experiences with different products. This is why I enjoy reading forums like this one and others. I like to get other opinions about the cars they drive, and their experiences with them. The final choice for her/us will be "how do we/I feel" when we/I drive this car! The vehicle will be hers to drive, so the most important "feeling"/ decision will be hers to make: what car, what color!
Old 07-04-2017, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Through a convoluted sequence of choices we ended up replacing our '99 A4 Avant with a '17 Q3. After a few thousand miles in it, I have to say it is growing on me as a small "wagon" that is more comfortable as far as seating, quieter, better mileage, and every bit as practical if not more so for taking trips and hauling things. We mostly use it for two people plus cargo though, just like our old wagon. I can see that I'd need to get a roof box if I wanted to take four people and their gear on any significant expeditions.

The only drawbacks I can see for the current Q3 are its somewhat "dated" technology features since it has been in production for so long. But coming from an 18 year old A4, it still seems modern to me...
Old 07-04-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by slow speed
I like to get other opinions about the cars they drive, and their experiences with them.
You might need TWO Alfas--one to drive while the other is in the shop.

When our SAAB became more expensive to repair than it was worth we started looking. One prime criterion was that this time my wife said SHE gets the small car and I have to park the wagon. My two main scoring points were: Fun to drive, and Must hold the dog kennel.

That left out most SUVs--not long enough even with the back seat down. Short of going crazy and buying a Porsche Macan (and its repair bills) or a big Mercedes wagon, it was narrowed down to the Allroad or a Subaru Outback. The dog kennel actually fit a little better in the Outback but the fun factor of the Allroad won me over. (nb--the fun driving is only when dog is not in the car.)

The kennel would be easier to get in and out if the floor was level all the way back. That little lip at the very back is a real pain in the neck. But I'm keeping the Audi--and the dog.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We loved our Saab Aero... with some mods...

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
It is too bad that our SAAB 9-5 Aero wagon finally bit the dust. It is one of the best-looking, best-proportioned cars I've ever seen--plus being fun to drive. But my Allroad is a keeper!

The last "performance avant" that we have had...
Attached Thumbnails More Audi Wagons in the US?-saab-aero-wagon.jpeg  
Old 07-04-2017, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
You might need TWO Alfas--one to drive while the other is in the shop.

[snip]

The kennel would be easier to get in and out if the floor was level all the way back. That little lip at the very back is a real pain in the neck. But I'm keeping the Audi--and the dog.

Great-looking dog.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by roger_1
Great-looking dog.
Rides in a great-looking car!
Old 07-24-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
Porsche, of course, with the Panamera - that, at least to me, remains unaffordable.
Not sure if you meant the normal one or not, but Panamera has an actual wagon version now:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-porsch...ous-1792874951

Old 07-25-2017, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Not sure if you meant the normal one or not, but Panamera has an actual wagon version now:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2018-porsch...ous-1792874951

And the Panamera SW is on sale in the US: Porsche All Panamera Models - Porsche USA ....

Quick Reply: More Audi Wagons in the US?