A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

New owner intro

Old 06-24-2019, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner intro

Hi all,
New owner here; we just picked up a CPO'd 2017 P+ in Manhattan Gray. Looking forward to being on AW again after about 10 years.

I'm currently driving a '15 Golf R; the allroad is my wife's car (replacing an A3 cab), and it we'll basically use it together for any kind of extended travel. Between my wife and I, we have now owned 7 VAG 4cyl turbos, and 1 VAG 4cyl TDI since around 2000.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:37 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on the Allroad...
Old 06-27-2019, 02:49 PM
mco
AudiWorld Newcomer

How do you like the allroad in comparison to your R? I am considering trading in my '16 6mt golf r for a '18 technik (top canadian trim) allroad but am worried that it would be less fun to drive around.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mco
How do you like the allroad in comparison to your R? I am considering trading in my '16 6mt golf r for a '18 technik (top canadian trim) allroad but am worried that it would be less fun to drive around.
Hey sorry I missed this!

I really like the allroad, but it's a very different car from the R. Mine is a DSG, and I typically drive it in manual mode (switching to Auto when I'm in stop-and-go traffic or otherwise feeling lazy). I've driven a stick my whole life (and had a 6MT GTI mk6 immediately prior to the R), but I can honestly say that I prefer the DSG in the R. That said, I find that I'm mostly leaving the 7sp DSG in the allroad in Auto mode, although I probably haven't had enough time with it to really decide my preference. One thing I like so much about the R's DSG is that the exhaust burp and/or rev match on up- or down-shifting is so noticeable and satisfying. The allroad (like our A3 before) is just less aggressive in this department, and that might be why I've been leaving it to shift by itself.

Other than DSG thoughts... the allroad is suprisingly peppy, but it can't hold a candle to the R, which has a stage 1 flash. But the allroad does feel like it can move when it needs to, and feels more athletic than our A3 cab did. Re: ride; having taller tires and extra ground clearance makes the allroad 'easier' to drive, since you're not cringing that every bump in the road is a potential bent 19" wheel. However the downside to this is that it feels less connected and more big-sedan-like on the road.

I like the level of trim & technology in the allroad, esp. having the virtual cockpit and android auto. Love having folding mirrors and blind-spot assist. Even at just "Premium Plus" level, it definitely feels much more upscale than both the R and the A3 we traded. And, love the extra room in seating and cargo capability.

All in all, it's a great complement to the R, and it will be our default "touring" car for any kind of extended trip (esp. skiing).
Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 PM
mco
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks, it was exactly the kind of feedback i was looking for
Old 08-08-2019, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 376 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by btitus
Hey sorry I missed this!

I really like the allroad, but it's a very different car from the R. Mine is a DSG, and I typically drive it in manual mode (switching to Auto when I'm in stop-and-go traffic or otherwise feeling lazy). I've driven a stick my whole life (and had a 6MT GTI mk6 immediately prior to the R), but I can honestly say that I prefer the DSG in the R. That said, I find that I'm mostly leaving the 7sp DSG in the allroad in Auto mode, although I probably haven't had enough time with it to really decide my preference. One thing I like so much about the R's DSG is that the exhaust burp and/or rev match on up- or down-shifting is so noticeable and satisfying. The allroad (like our A3 before) is just less aggressive in this department, and that might be why I've been leaving it to shift by itself.

Other than DSG thoughts... the allroad is suprisingly peppy, but it can't hold a candle to the R, which has a stage 1 flash. But the allroad does feel like it can move when it needs to, and feels more athletic than our A3 cab did. Re: ride; having taller tires and extra ground clearance makes the allroad 'easier' to drive, since you're not cringing that every bump in the road is a potential bent 19" wheel. However the downside to this is that it feels less connected and more big-sedan-like on the road.

I like the level of trim & technology in the allroad, esp. having the virtual cockpit and android auto. Love having folding mirrors and blind-spot assist. Even at just "Premium Plus" level, it definitely feels much more upscale than both the R and the A3 we traded. And, love the extra room in seating and cargo capability.

All in all, it's a great complement to the R, and it will be our default "touring" car for any kind of extended trip (esp. skiing).
Originally Posted by mco
Sorry to revive an older thread. The R to Allroad debate is going on with me right now. This is useful feedback. I do wonder how an Allroad would be with a tune.

@mco - what did you decide to do if you don't mind my asking? And why?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:53 PM
mco
AudiWorld Newcomer

@DaveSNJ I decided to keep the Golf R... for now. I like the luxury features and the extra space of the allroad but i realized i was not ready to give up the MT and the sportiness of the golf. I would have needed to mod the allroad (suspension and tune) to really love it. The golf is spacious enough for me with the back seat down (as a cyclist and a hockey goalie) even though a little extra space would not hurt.

I do believe the allroad will be a great car for me in a couple of years, when i'll have kids and need space for the booster seats, stroller etc.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 376 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by mco
@DaveSNJ I decided to keep the Golf R... for now. I like the luxury features and the extra space of the allroad but i realized i was not ready to give up the MT and the sportiness of the golf. I would have needed to mod the allroad (suspension and tune) to really love it. The golf is spacious enough for me with the back seat down (as a cyclist and a hockey goalie) even though a little extra space would not hurt.

I do believe the allroad will be a great car for me in a couple of years, when i'll have kids and need space for the booster seats, stroller etc.
Thanks for the follow-up. Agree coming from an R it would need a tune and lower suspension right of the bat. Not an inexpensive outlay on top of the car itself.