A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

OEM front window privacy glass - is that a thing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM front window privacy glass - is that a thing?

Is it possible to source privacy glass for the Allroad front passenger / driver windows? A call to one of the local DC area dealer parts desks says no. I would really like a matching tint level up front and back (for looks) but this is not really possible even if I get the fronts tinted, which won't really be a true match based on light coming in from the front windshield. Lot of threads out there about this but trying to think outside the box. If I had my druthers, I'd have untinted glass all around and an opportunity to do my own 30 or 35% ceramic all around!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did Crystalline 40 on the front windows and it matches pretty well. I was worried that the dark factory all around, with my legat tint up front, would look off or asymetric. I am really pleased with how it turned out aesthetically. I will try to get a few pics this weekend to show how it looks.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kobanna
I did Crystalline 40 on the front windows and it matches pretty well. I was worried that the dark factory all around, with my legat tint up front, would look off or asymetric. I am really pleased with how it turned out aesthetically. I will try to get a few pics this weekend to show how it looks.
I would like to see pix for sure. Debating which direction to go in with mine.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had my dealership measure the rear OEM glass once with a UV / Tint meter, and it was surprisingly on the dark side.....less than 15% if I recall correctly.

I was surprised.

I would think that any tint / detail shop, or dealership that performs state inspections (like mine) would have one of these meters, and could test the rear glass to get a close match with a tint job.
Any half-competent tinter could probably eye-ball it to within a few % gradients....no Meter required!

gr
Old 01-26-2018, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Front side two windows will always look lighter than the back unless you tint the front windshield as well. I have a 48-55% tint on my front windshield of my Jeep. It is nice during the summer, I don't even have to wear my sunglasses and cuts down on glare. But winter months with rain and dark conditions its a little harder to see. Something to look into, but I don't think I will be doing it on my Allroad once it arrives. Probably just 18% on the front side two windows and darken the rear glass a bit.

Here is the tint, its kinda works like a transition lens. I went with SPH55. Spectra PhotoSync® | Prestige
Old 02-03-2018, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Finally got this completed. The shop measured it at 22%, and we ended up doing 20%. It's noticeable in some daylight angles but not enough to bother me. Overall, happy I did it. Apologies, for those that had to see this twice, double posting this pic here from another thread about AR suspension upgrades.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bosatsu
Finally got this completed. The shop measured it at 22%, and we ended up doing 20%. It's noticeable in some daylight angles but not enough to bother me. Overall, happy I did it. Apologies, for those that had to see this twice, double posting this pic here from another thread about AR suspension upgrades.
would like to get this done but the new INSANE New York Tint Law require 70% light to come through and required for Inspection. It’s kind of absurd. My old TDI has 35% tint and looked great.

Last edited by Fantasiamon; 02-04-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bosatsu
Your Allroad tinting looks great. Nice job.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Sorry but it is not an insane law. If you were a law enforcement officer, you would feel very differently.

I agree with the aesthetic argument against it, but the safety issues involved trump aesthetics any time.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Art234
Sorry but it is not an insane law. If you were a law enforcement officer, you would feel very differently.

I agree with the aesthetic argument against it, but the safety issues involved trump aesthetics any time.
Ok. Let me rephrase. Its a fine law and I 100% agree with protecting law enforcement - I have zero problem with that. However, the amount of tint that has now become illegal is the issue here. It's extremely excessive and (i'm sure you can agree with that) and in my opinion it does nothing to truly protect law enforcement properly - but it does do a great job of putting excessive restrictions on law abiding citizens. It's a reactionary and poorly thought out restriction. People who break laws will continue to fully black out windows regardless. A better law to pass would be that ANYONE being pulled over by an officer is REQUIRED to roll down both front windows. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: OEM front window privacy glass - is that a thing?