A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

OEM hitch options?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Mode

Originally Posted by MadAlhazred
Thanks. That hitch does look nice and it's very encouraging to see the template and antenna info. The do also say to take off the bumper (good) but don't provide lots of detail about how to do that or the fact that there could be two radar units and associated wiring to them. Nontheless looks like a nicer option than what I have by far.
Yes it does look nice. I finally received my allroad and think it is spectacular to drive and to look at.

During the delivery process of learning the functions we looked for Trailer Mode under maps as described in the owner's manual. It is there as a selectable option, but it is not clear what it does. The description in the owners manual addresses only vehicle speed when towing and not any driver assist functions. Further, there should be a little trailer icon on the maps display when Trailer Mode is turned on, but I did not see it. Has anyone actually used this function? When I saw it I thought great all I need is a hitch and the software is in place for the rest. Maybe not.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update on towing my boat to Santa Barbara (from/to San Jose): I didn't have any issues with the ADAS systems. I didn't bother with turning off the rear pre-sense nor with the trailer mode in the navigation menu. I didn't notice any difference between how the systems behaved with or with out the trailer. When backing up the alarm sounds (periodic beeping) but that's not an issue. Overall, it was great to take the allroad on a long trip.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Torklift

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a 2014 allroad and my first question is where to put my mountain bike. I had a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI and reluctantly gave it back. I was running with a Thule roof rack but was tired of the noise. I looked hard at the Torklift Hitch for that car and just watched the Youtube video for the install on the Audi allroad.

Does anyone have knowledge on this setup?
Old 05-25-2017, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good news MadAhazred. Happy it went so well.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Awesome MadAhazred. How was the gas mileage?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimruss1961
Hi, I'm new to the forum. Just purchased a 2014 allroad and my first question is where to put my mountain bike. I had a 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI and reluctantly gave it back. I was running with a Thule roof rack but was tired of the noise. I looked hard at the Torklift Hitch for that car and just watched the Youtube video for the install on the Audi allroad.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiUOu2PqDqE

Does anyone have knowledge on this setup?
Jim, check out this pretty extensive write-up on fitting that hitch and wiring by anothr member. From my knowledge it's a nice solution and much more hidden than the curt one. I guess the up-side of the curt is that you don't have to cut anything.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...iring-2906062/
Also, try posting in the B8 Allroad section and you might get more responses.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As someone who needs a hitch for bikes, this is quite disappointing. For a $60k, "off-road" wagon, not having this optional feature is asinine.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by justaute
As someone who needs a hitch for bikes, this is quite disappointing. For a $60k, "off-road" wagon, not having this optional feature is asinine.
Agree completely. An outdoor off-road lifestyle vehicle with no ability to tow a jet ski, small boat, ATV or hitch up a decent bike rack is nuts.
Then you go to a dealer with your aftermarket hitch and they frown on you for "altering the vehicle" and talk about wiring warranty and the "vehicle not being designed for towing" etc etc

Then, just to add insult to injury, wait for Audi to say "nobody in the U.S. buys wagons".

Luckily I went in with my eyes open knowing the hitch would be an issue. The Curt one for the B9 is a lot neater looking than the older version, so that will have to do me until someone comes up with a nicer one.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I wonder how Curt compares to Invisihitch.

Originally Posted by Robmac123
Agree completely. An outdoor off-road lifestyle vehicle with no ability to tow a jet ski, small boat, ATV or hitch up a decent bike rack is nuts.
Then you go to a dealer with your aftermarket hitch and they frown on you for "altering the vehicle" and talk about wiring warranty and the "vehicle not being designed for towing" etc etc

Then, just to add insult to injury, wait for Audi to say "nobody in the U.S. buys wagons".

Luckily I went in with my eyes open knowing the hitch would be an issue. The Curt one for the B9 is a lot neater looking than the older version, so that will have to do me until someone comes up with a nicer one.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by justaute
I wonder how Curt compares to Invisihitch.
Not sure yet as the invisihitch for the B9 isn't out yet. The B9 curt hitch is so much more hidden than the B8 version that I'm not sure the invisihitch could be much more 'invisi'

Quick Reply: OEM hitch options?