A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

OEM hitch options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel320
This is a quick update on the InvisiHitch for our B9's.
I am at last to take delivery of my (now) '18 Prestige next week in GA (live in VT). My plan was to immediately have PPF applied and then deliver my vehicle over to the makers of the InvisiHitch in Suwanee GA for product development. They have yet to receive a B9 and I was attempting to coordinate the use of my vehicle to aid their product development team. This was to be a multi day and visit process, but was willing to bite the bullet in an effort to help achieve the end result of a pretty slick hitch. Sadly I was informed today that their engineer and assistant resigned so all product development is on hold. Disappointed to say the least but will keep the pressure on in hope this will be just a minor setback. Stay tuned....
That's a bummer on the set back at InvisiHitch. But congratulations on getting closer to accepting delivery of your new allroad.

Update on my end: My curt hitch part #11448 has arrived. And I have found a local company in NH willing to attempt the install of the Teknosha ZCI wiring kit #119250KIT

Hopefully pulling the fishing boat for the 4th!
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BlurredLines
Starting to look like I may be spending Sunday under the rear end of the car sorting out if the Eco-hitch is going to fit the 2017 as it has on the rest of the B9's.

I can't see a reason no to go with the 2" receiver instead of the 1.25" for the added stability knowing that it's still a class 1 and isn't going to see an increase in the weight limits. I've emailed Torklift, have the instructions for installation, and watched the previous video about a dozen times now, but I'm curious if anyone's already tried this or has any input on the notion of a 2" receiver?
Pulled the trigger on the Eco-Hitch and should receive it tomorrow afternoon. Figure Sunday will be a long day under the Allroad provided the weather holds. All signs point to a fit, but I'll be sure to take plenty of photo's and let folks know how this goes. if it fits as it has on the older models I can't see a realistic reason to consider other options.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I hope all goes well with your installation. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results you post since this seems like a good solution for me. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Robmac123
I'd say Curt have had a bad experience with people with class1 hitches and a heavy bike rack making warranty claims or suing them if it fails, hence the disclaimer about using a support strap. It's fair to say that a couple of heavy bikes loaded on a rack 2 or 3 ft out from the hitch places very different stresses on it than it was designed for.
The support strap doesn't work well with the Allroad anyway as the top edge of the trunk/hatch is a plastic trim panel, not the normal folded steel edge for the strap to clip over.

I can see no reason the draw-tite would be significantly stronger that the Curt from looking at the designs and mounting points. Maybe draw-title just haven't had the issue yet, so haven't needed to cover their ***.
I have installed the Curt and bought the strap but could not figure out a way to actually use it given the design of the rear hatch. I have taken several trips with two mountain bikes on hitch and other than some slight rocking (caused more by the receiver/bike mount not being an exact tolerance fit -- I have not sense any particular stress on the hitch. My guess as stated early, is that Curt is simply covering their a$$ and drawtight isn't as conservative. The Curt design is certainly stout enough to deal with any moment arm that my bike setup presents (obviously IMO..)
Old 09-01-2017, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Curt Install Video (Link)

Is a Youtube video I posted on installation of a Curt 11448 on my (then) new 2017 Allroad. It is fairly straight forward and I've used it several times for mountain bike carriage -- I have not yet installed wiring setup -- I am going to use the Allroad for towing a Jet Ski setup soon. Reading this forum for wiring advice and will chime in with my solution when I decide, For now thought, I hope this video helps anyone looking to install the Curt.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by EEMan
I hope all goes well with your installation. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the results you post since this seems like a good solution for me. Thanks.
2" Receiver. The Eco-Hitch "fits" if you're alright with replacing your mufflers. Bad news is you have to replace both mufflers, good news is you can have a 2" receiver and your all road sounds almost identical to an S4...
Attached Thumbnails OEM hitch options?-fullsizeoutput_31f.jpeg  
Old 09-22-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

BlurredLines has a viable solution for us (thanks for sharing the experience), but the eco hitch folks plan to provide a B9 specific hitch in the future. The problem continues to be access to an allroad there in Kent, WA. I am in Colorado so cannot help. With any luck someone else will. The situation is similar for Invisihitch. They need access to a vehicle. Also, I noticed that they do not seem to offer a hitch for the previous allroad model. Has anyone tried to procure and install a hitch from Europe? Meanwhile, Audi is zero help including my dealer.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2" Receiver. The Eco-Hitch "fits" if you're alright with replacing your mufflers. Bad news is you have to replace both mufflers, good news is you can have a 2" receiver and your all road sounds almost identical to an S4...
This looks great, It looks higher than other installations of this hitch, did you modify it at all? I'm looking for a similar result. Could you please post a few more pics, closeup, angles, etc?
Old 11-06-2017, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by CKS$
This looks great, It looks higher than other installations of this hitch, did you modify it at all? I'm looking for a similar result. Could you please post a few more pics, closeup, angles, etc?
I'll snag a few more photo's in the light as soon as I can. The bolts land in the exact same spots as the prior gen, but lack the centre bolt hole through to the trunk. That one needs to be drilled as the mount point in the trunk for the cargo tie down is now welded on instead of bolted. As mentioned above the stock mufflers leave next to no clearance and have to be replaced to accommodate the hitch. Otherwise the instructions from eco-hitch are spot on for the bumper cut out and mount points.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll snag a few more photo's in the light as soon as I can. The bolts land in the exact same spots as the prior gen, but lack the centre bolt hole through to the trunk. That one needs to be drilled as the mount point in the trunk for the cargo tie down is now welded on instead of bolted. As mentioned above the stock mufflers leave next to no clearance and have to be replaced to accommodate the hitch. Otherwise the instructions from eco-hitch are spot on for the bumper cut out and mount points.
Hmmmm, this sounds jndeesireable, but maybe I’m thinking too hard... can you please define the word “replace” with regards to the mufflers. Do you have to temporarily move them out of the way, then put them back? Do you have to buy an alternative muffler?

Quick Reply: OEM hitch options?