A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Pre Sense Freakout!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pre Sense Freakout!

I had a very strange and unsettling experience the other day related to Audi Pre Sense in my ‘18 P+. Beautiful sunny morning temp in the 30’s. Clean car, no snow or slush or any moisture on the roads or car (which is garaged).

I exit the highway and I’m sitting stationary in a line of cars waiting at a red light. There are no cars coming behind me nor any cars in motion next to me. All of a sudden for absolutely no reason, my seat belt tightens around me to the point of “Maximum Overdrive-like” strangulation and “Pre Sense” flashes on the center VC console. When it first happened and for a split second I thought I had gotten hit. Once I realized it was just the seat belt tightening and the car preparing for some phantom impact I relaxed and waited for all to return to normal again. Light turned green and off I went.

Now I’ve experienced sensor weirdness with the proximity alarm beeps from the sun, but this was on a whole different level. Thoughts? Anyone else experience a non-motion phantom pre-sense activation? Is this something I should bring up with the dealer immediately? Happened a few days ago and hasn’t done it since.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mods-Admin: Please move to A4 B9 discussion.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same thing happened to me twice, had to go back home and change underwear :-) Still not as scary as car sensors see a plastic bag on the road as walking pedestrian and brake on it's own, also happened to me but different car.
I disabled what I can in the settings permanently but some of the BS you have to disable every time staring the car. Talked to the stealership about it and they looked at it.
Log shows too much input for the sensors (wtf that means) Basically the car pre-sense goes cuckoo every now and then like any electronic device. Asked them to disable permanently all pre-bs-sense, they said Nooo can do. So now I'm hopping some smart person will come up with a hack how to disable all these "safety" features!
One thing for sure, never going to sell my cars from the pre-sense era!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I am new to Audi pre-sense, I had an adrenaline inducing event while making a left turn last week and waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. I stepped on the gas as the last car in the string was passing in front of me, clearly no danger existed, when suddenly the car completely locked up flashing pre-sense on the display. For a moment I did not realize what happened or know what to do as I found myself now completely stopped in the oncoming traffic lane. Fortunately, traffic was still far enough off to allow me to compose myself and move through the turn safely. If the oncoming traffic had been closer, this could have resulted in a serious accident.

So, what happened is that the car and I had a difference of opinion as to what was a safe turn and I was left in a potentially dangerous spot by pre-sense. I have since learned that turning off the turn signal would prevent such an intervention and remain a little nervous while attempting any move believing that the car might intervene.
Not exactly confidence inspiring.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I appreciate the replies and harrowing pre-sense stories. I had another experience last night where I was switching lanes and pre sense decided it wasn’t entirely comfortable with my interpretation of “safe”. Total BS as my manuevering was perfectly appropriate for a fast moving highway situation. At least this time I was actually moving.

I am at a point where I feel this “safety feature” is more a liability/risk than anything else. I do not like losing control of my vehicle.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Welcome to the clube

Old 08-11-2023, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Update

After the vehicle was off for a whole day the light has turned off and things seem to return to normal now ???