A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

quattro-ultra in snow

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default quattro-ultra in snow

I posted this question in the regular A4 forum and it was suggested I ask it here as there might be more ppl able to reply. (Apologies if this is verboten!)

Background: next week I am potentially buying an A4 6MT which has the same front-based quattro-ultra system.

Could people chime in with their impressions of the ultra system? As a skier who drives north to VT & NH a lot, I'm especially curious about snowy road performance. Having owned a Subaru (WRX) since 2004 and FWD cars before then, I don't want to go back to a winter driving experience that feels like FWD. As for "sporty" driving on dry roads, I enjoy apexing turns at 7-tenths but my days of exploring grip limits are largely behind me, so I'm not too concerned (maybe a little but not overly) about how the system feels in 9.5/10's cornering situations.

But if there's any perception of front-drivey-ness in winter driving, that could potentially compel me to look for a 2018 S-tronic A4 which still has the center differential, AFAIK.

And no, I don't expect the A4 to feel rally-car unleashed like a pre-traction control WRX.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:57 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've took the Quattro ultra system drifting and find it to be heavily biased in the rear. I can tell absolutely no difference personally and enjoy the systems benefits
Old 08-10-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

That the word "drifting" can be used is encouraging!
Old 08-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
That the word "drifting" can be used is encouraging!
Yes this car is certainly a LOT of fun to screw around with hahah.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been driving Audi's for 20 years and last year purchased an 2018 A4 allroad with Quattro Ultra. I didn't notice any difference in winter handling (we live north of Toronto). I don't push things very hard, but in cases where I needed traction and to maneuver around problems etc it performed as expected. I believe a bigger factor is your choice of winter tires. We've always used Nokians and have been very happy with them.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

We took our '17 into Quebec last February and saw almost 4 feet of snow over the weekend. Our resort made a point of asking if we had 4WD as they did not recommend attempting the driveway without it and requested we parked at the bottom if we didn't have it... We certainly didn't struggle in over a foot of fresh snow up what most would consider a logging road for a driveway. The new Quattro with Ultra decisively tracked up what I can only assume was nearing 2km of extremely steep driveway. The only notes on that are 4 Snow Tires (Continental Winter Contact) and a fully loaded (4 Adults and a Golden Retriever) may have played into having such stable contact.

As far as Quattro with Ultra goes, it's a HUGE plus on long distance highway miles, and of absolutely no consequence in the rougher terrain.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I was nervous about the Quattro ultra system too, especially after having the good old Torsen system on my b8.5. I particularly enjoyed the rear bias feel of that car. My allroad doesn’t seem to feel much different and as stated above the trade off is incredibly good mpg on the highway. I can get high 30’s on runs from boulder to Denver in regular traffic. I’ve only done one winter in the allroad so far and didn’t have the stomach to buy snow tires immediately after I bought the car (which was in December). The continental tires on the allroad were ok in the snow, but winter tires would be a huge difference.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me preface this with the fact that I have owned a B4 quattro, B5 Quattro, B8 quattro and my ex used to have a B6 quattro. Also, I am a former Audi tech and have driven every version of quattro to date.

I live in Washington state and regularly drive a less than average maintained road to Mt Baker in the winters, usually to the tune of 50 days a year.

All my cars have had snow tires of various brands, but all studless.

The B4 was very much like your old pre traction control WRX (I also had a 2.5RS, loved that thing in the snow...)

B5 is great in the snow but the assist kicks in very early and clunky. Turning traction control off makes for the most fun and predictable without electronic nagging.

B8 had a major improvement from the B5 - B7 systems. The traction control would let you push it without being an on/off switch when it kicked in. I never really felt the need to turn it off.

B9 with the ultra... GREAT! it acts like the B8 did, if you really get in a bind where you want quattro from a stand still you can put it in dynamic (of offroad on the AR) and have no problems. I would not hesitate to buy another quattro ultra vehicle. As others have mentioned, the freeway efficiency is a great bonus.I get 2-5 better mph on my commute with my DSG 7 spd ultra B9 AR vs my 8 spd B8 avant.

Also, for what its worth. I have driven all of these vehicles out of parking spots with over a foot of heavy NW snow with no problems. I have had to dig my truck out, but driven my quattro cars with no problem, I just clean the windshield and rally off!