A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

rear wiper question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default rear wiper question

What are you replacing the OE rear wiper blade with? Mine has chattered since day 1 despite several cleanings with isopropanol.

I just replaced the fronts with Bosch Icon OEs, which fit perfectly and work well, but there doesn't seem to be an easy to find corresponding part number for the rear.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your rear wiper chatters but is doing fine otherwise, try flipping it 180°. It fixed the problem for us.
I never could find the Bosch, so we got the "Trico 15-I Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 15", Pack of 1" from Amazon and it works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E9Y6WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E9Y6WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

Last edited by MDAudi; 02-23-2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MDAudi
If your rear wiper chatters but is doing fine otherwise, try flipping it 180°. It fixed the problem for us.
I never could find the Bosch, so we got the "Trico 15-I Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 15", Pack of 1" from Amazon and it works fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016E9Y6WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00
Interesting suggestion about the reversal (I'll give it a try) and thanks for the confirmation the Trico part fits properly.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:48 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm going to give the reversal a try also before ordering a new rear blade.. Thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I have posted about this on the B9 A4 area and though reversing the blade and/or getting the Trico or Bosch would help with chattering, IIMHO, the best way to go is to thoroughly clean, clay bar, polish and reclean the windshields first. It is more than cleaning and wiping with alcohol but it takes all of an hour - at most, to do all the glass - front, back and sides. Chances are you wouldn't need to replace your wiper blades - I have not had to on my Alroad and Outback and its over 2 years. Besides you get a cleaner and thus safer view of the road and in rain, the drops simply vanish. And btw, will prolong the life of the blades.

I know I'm a bit of a detailing nut as well as sounding like and being a broken record, but this is not about how shiny and glowing your paint looks or how nice the the interior smells, it's about safety - and that is something every driver should be concerned with.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:57 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Every time I wash my vehicles or clean the windshield I clean the wiper blades, I've been doing this for years and the Audi's have been the only vehicles where I felt the need to replace the wipers so fast into ownership..

When we first took delivery of our Q7 almost 2 years ago it was on a Friday.. By Sunday it was raining and the first time I used the wipers and they were already chattering, this was on a brand new vehicle.. Figuring maybe there was something on the windshield from the factory / dealer I clayed the windshield, used extra fine 0000 steel wool and cleaned it thoroughly along with the brand new wipers and the wipers still made noise...

So after months of noise, and not so great performance I replaced the wipers with the Trico Ultras which IME not only performed better than the OEM's they made absolutely no noise.. On the rear I replaced the useless and noisy OEM with a Bosch replacement.. Even though I understand the OEM is Bosch, the Bosch replacement on the rear was so much better..

That's why after I took delivery of the Allroad back in January and wipers began to make their usual chatter, and then froze on me during an out of nowhere 45 min snow squall I didn't even waste my time. I just replaced the OEM's with the Trico's because from my experience I knew the noise and performance would only get worse..

Old 03-05-2019, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
I have posted about this on the B9 A4 area and though reversing the blade and/or getting the Trico or Bosch would help with chattering, IIMHO, the best way to go is to thoroughly clean, clay bar, polish and reclean the windshields first. It is more than cleaning and wiping with alcohol but it takes all of an hour - at most, to do all the glass - front, back and sides. Chances are you wouldn't need to replace your wiper blades - I have not had to on my Alroad and Outback and its over 2 years. Besides you get a cleaner and thus safer view of the road and in rain, the drops simply vanish. And btw, will prolong the life of the blades.

I know I'm a bit of a detailing nut as well as sounding like and being a broken record, but this is not about how shiny and glowing your paint looks or how nice the the interior smells, it's about safety - and that is something every driver should be concerned with.
I got you. Detailing is good. But more than a few of us haven't had the weather and/or the time to do the detailing, especially this time of year. And in a pinch, flipping the rear wiper blade can perhaps get you some peace until you do get the chance to do the detailing...
Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by JT4
Every time I wash my vehicles or clean the windshield I clean the wiper blades, I've been doing this for years and the Audi's have been the only vehicles where I felt the need to replace the wipers so fast into ownership..

When we first took delivery of our Q7 almost 2 years ago it was on a Friday.. By Sunday it was raining and the first time I used the wipers and they were already chattering, this was on a brand new vehicle.. Figuring maybe there was something on the windshield from the factory / dealer I clayed the windshield, used extra fine 0000 steel wool and cleaned it thoroughly along with the brand new wipers and the wipers still made noise...

So after months of noise, and not so great performance I replaced the wipers with the Trico Ultras which IME not only performed better than the OEM's they made absolutely no noise.. On the rear I replaced the useless and noisy OEM with a Bosch replacement.. Even though I understand the OEM is Bosch, the Bosch replacement on the rear was so much better..

That's why after I took delivery of the Allroad back in January and wipers began to make their usual chatter, and then froze on me during an out of nowhere 45 min snow squall I didn't even waste my time. I just replaced the OEM's with the Trico's because from my experience I knew the noise and performance would only get worse..

Wow, this is just not my experience after doing all that AND applying a glass sealant. I'm curious as to how the replacement rear Bosch wiper is different than the OEM Bosch wiper? If/when I need new front wipers I will go with the recommended Tricos.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:02 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Wow, this is just not my experience after doing all that AND applying a glass sealant. I'm curious as to how the replacement rear Bosch wiper is different than the OEM Bosch wiper? If/when I need new front wipers I will go with the recommended Tricos.
Originally I planned on getting Bosch replacements, but when I couldn't find the Bosch replacements I needed at the local auto stores (Pep Boys, Advanced Auto etc) instead of ordering online and waiting I gave the Trico Ultra's a try. And IME they have been great..

Yeah, I am curious as well regarding how the Bosch rear replacement differs from the OEM, but as I previously mentioned the replacement has been so much better..And QUIET.. Interestingly the rear OEM wiper on the Allroad has been fine so far, clears decent and doesn't make any noise.. So go figure..
Old 03-10-2019, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MDAudi
I got you. Detailing is good. But more than a few of us haven't had the weather and/or the time to do the detailing, especially this time of year. And in a pinch, flipping the rear wiper blade can perhaps get you some peace until you do get the chance to do the detailing...
Impressive difference just by flipping the blade, at least for me. I've been out a couple of rainstorms since doing it and the difference is night/day.

Thanks to MDAudi for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: rear wiper question