A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Recoated my Allroad

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice 👍 how much for the coating application and what state? Is the ceramic coating strong enough that you can use a regular brushed car wash without getting swirl marks?
Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sugar Ray Rob
Very nice 👍 how much for the coating application and what state? Is the ceramic coating strong enough that you can use a regular brushed car wash without getting swirl marks?

Thanks. The coatings I used are very expensive - Kamikazee's Yipang and Myabi and in retrospect if I had it to do over or on my next car whenever that is, I'd go with a more conventional, less expensive highly rated coating. I'm in NJ but I applied the coating as well as all the prep work.

No coating will afford protection from continued or even infrequent car washes; the chemicals are harsh, the "brushes" or whatever they use to agitate the chemicals are certainly not gentle and the towels they use are old, cheap, worn out and certainly not pristine - they will dry the hood of your car with the same towels they use to dry the rocker panels. You will get swirls for sure. If you are picky about your car's appearance, auto car washes should be avoided as much as possible.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks. The coatings I used are very expensive - Kamikazee's Yipang and Myabi and in retrospect if I had it to do over or on my next car whenever that is, I'd go with a more conventional, less expensive highly rated coating. I'm in NJ but I applied the coating as well as all the prep work.

No coating will afford protection from continued or even infrequent car washes; the chemicals are harsh, the "brushes" or whatever they use to agitate the chemicals are certainly not gentle and the towels they use are old, cheap, worn out and certainly not pristine - they will dry the hood of your car with the same towels they use to dry the rocker panels. You will get swirls for sure. If you are picky about your car's appearance, auto car washes should be avoided as much as possible.
I was hoping a good ceramic coating would allow me to use regular city car washes until I can get to my mother’s place in the burbs (since I don’t have a hose in the parking structure of my apartment in downtown Philly). I’ve picked up my first Q5 MKII recently and took it to a touchless car wash near Audi of West Chester (when visiting my mother). Unfortunately there isn’t a touchless car wash anywhere near Philly. The best I found was hand wash or “soft touch” in Philly. Who wants to open a touchless detail place in Philly that also does coatings haha
Old 07-14-2019, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Sugar Ray Rob
I was hoping a good ceramic coating would allow me to use regular city car washes until I can get to my mother’s place in the burbs (since I don’t have a hose in the parking structure of my apartment in downtown Philly). I’ve picked up my first Q5 MKII recently and took it to a touchless car wash near Audi of West Chester (when visiting my mother). Unfortunately there isn’t a touchless car wash anywhere near Philly. The best I found was hand wash or “soft touch” in Philly. Who wants to open a touchless detail place in Philly that also does coatings haha

Ok, simple, popular and time tested and perfect for your situation is using one bucket with water and a Rinseless Car Wash UNLESS your car is extremely dirty. It will take less than a half hour and is far safer than the touchless car washes.

Here's a link to just one of the many videos and products out there.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...rPicks&from=fn
Old 02-10-2020, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m

I have 2014 Allroad that have been in carwash less than 10 times during it's lifetime. I handwash it every 2 weeks, sometimes every week, and use only Sonax products. Little OCD. As my wife questions - "little"?

Last edited by peterolsovsky; 02-10-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by peterolsovsky
I have 2014 Allroad that have been in carwash less than 10 times during it's lifetime. I handwash it every 2 weeks, sometimes every week, and use only Sonax products. Little OCD. As my wife questions - "little"?
Your AR looks great! Especially being 6 years old. Mine looks good too - as well it should with the proper care it gets. Never seen a commercial car wash and never will. In these colder winter months, when a warm/moderate day does come up ~40's I do a Rinselsss Wash (Griot's) plenty of good microfiber towels (Griot's PFM) and less than 20 minutes the car looks like new.

Last edited by bob m; 02-15-2020 at 01:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 02-12-2020, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting. I have to try that. My colleague is using that on his Corvette he just told me.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Wow! Love the Gotland Green.