A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Salt spreaders - be careful

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Salt spreaders - be careful

First light snow in the NE/NJ area. Sooooo, I see a salt spreader truck way up in front of me - so I am on notice and have enough time to move over two lanes to the trucks left - and the side of my car still got pelted with those pellets. When I got home tonight I took a quick look see and all appears to be be ok, but I will find out tomorrow morning in the light if there's any damage. I know they serve a very important purpose and they have a job to do, BUT there should be a better way to dispense with the pellets - maybe lower to the ground so there would be less bounce and I have never seen a truck shooting these pellets with such a lateral reach - again, 2 lanes away and I got hit. Love the winters, hate winter driving!
Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default salt spreader

Originally Posted by bob m
First light snow in the NE/NJ area. Sooooo, I see a salt spreader truck way up in front of me - so I am on notice and have enough time to move over two lanes to the trucks left - and the side of my car still got pelted with those pellets. When I got home tonight I took a quick look see and all appears to be be ok, but I will find out tomorrow morning in the light if there's any damage. I know they serve a very important purpose and they have a job to do, BUT there should be a better way to dispense with the pellets - maybe lower to the ground so there would be less bounce and I have never seen a truck shooting these pellets with such a lateral reach - again, 2 lanes away and I got hit. Love the winters, hate winter driving!
i too was hit while driving my A3 last year. It is absolutely total BS that NJ allows this type of behavior from these subcontracted companies. I suspect NJ DOT is unaware of this tactic employed to save time in spreading material. I run a small snow plow business on the side in VT (my home). This is totally unacceptable to me. Those of you unaware, the (generally) unmarked, no warning light, tandem axel dump/snow plow trucks will travel, at times on the shoulder of the interstates and spread 4 - 5 lanes of highway in a single pass. The material is coming out so hard and fast you can imagine the damage it can cause. I have complained to NJ DOT and would encourage all to inundate them with similar complaints. This is an extremely unsafe if not illegal practice. Beware!