A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

speed radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 06:11 AM
Zaz
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed radar detector

Default speed radar detector
Hi everyone, I'm newly registered on this forum and forgive my poor english writing, french is my main language.

I try to find information or advice about what had happened to me yesterday.
A police car intercepted me saying that he detected a signal from my B9 A4 Allroad that confirmed him that I had a speed radar detector installed in my car. I told him that I never installed this device ( and this is really true) but of course he didn't believe me, so He tried to find it in some places and after about 10 minutes, he let me go because I had my 3 young daughters on the second seat, strongly recommending me to remove my supposely "very well hidden radar detector". If I don't do so, a 700$ fee would be applied. I asked him how could I remove something that is simply not existing and he looked at me as If I was the worst liar on the planet...

So what can I do in your opinion?
I asked to my Audi dealer the same day and they confimed me that any of that could have been factory installed. Someone told me that some euro high end cars have it factory installed because it's legal in some countries.

With all the technology features on this car, including all those sensors for parking and collision avoidance, can ther be a confusion between all the signals that could cause an alert to the police interceptor?

If so what can I do?

Thanks and hoping my english is understandable!

Zaz
Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Your English is just fine! I have not heard of this happening but there are certainly radar transmitters built into this car. Maybe his detector was not well calibrated?
Old 08-12-2017, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaz
With all the technology features on this car, including all those sensors for parking and collision avoidance, can there be a confusion between all the signals that could cause an alert to the police interceptor?

If so what can I do?
Absolutely! Even other radar detectors are confused by the many safety devices on modern cars that use radar frequencies.

You might do yourself, and your fellow citizens, a favor by having a friendly chat with the local police chief and explaining this.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Absolutely! Even other radar detectors are confused by the many safety devices on modern cars that use radar frequencies.

You might do yourself, and your fellow citizens, a favor by having a friendly chat with the local police chief and explaining this.
Dan's right, many of the blind spot monitoring/parking assist features now emit signals that can interfere with Radar

here's an article on it affecting radar detectors; https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/17/...-car-detector/
Old 08-15-2017, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

I would contact your importer and explain your recent experience to them. I would ask them if they would be willing to write a letter to the QC police department explaining how the various safety systems work on your Audi and the frequencies they use. In truth this is something that should have happened between the manufacturer/importer and RCP before the car was launched.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 AM
JT4
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis

I agree with this and I am kind of surprised the police officer wasn't aware of this too. I mean if you're using radar guns and radar detecting equipment, one would think that the officer would be up to speed about the false readings that a lot of vehicles give off due to all of today's tech..