A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Start stop system frequently fails

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your expectation is that the car will stop/start anytime you come to a stop then your expectations are not going to match the system. It is actually far more complex than you think and factors in everything from climate controls to brake pedal pressure to determine if shutting the car off will be beneficial.

I have the system in a 2017 Q7 and I must say it works pretty much flawlessly.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, new to the forum and just recently got my allroad, but I think I might have figured out how the stop/start system works.

If you hold the brake peddle just enough to stop the car the system won't kick in, but I have found that if you push the brake peddle a bit further in after you have stopped the system will kick in every time.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TIIVIO
Hi guys, new to the forum and just recently got my allroad, but I think I might have figured out how the stop/start system works.

If you hold the brake peddle just enough to stop the car the system won't kick in, but I have found that if you push the brake peddle a bit further in after you have stopped the system will kick in every time.
Welcome to the forums! I’m still officially a lurker because I’m still waiting on my Allroad delivery. Sooooooooon!!!

But yes, this is indeed how the system works. While lightly touching the break as well as disabling the system with the touch button upon each start up are pretty easy work arounds it would also certainly be nice if there was an easy way to simply disable the feature and be done with it.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TIIVIO

That is indeed part of it, but there are many factors. If for example the car is not yet warmed up or if is very hot out and the compressor is needed for A/C the system may not stop.

For example when it is below zero here the system will rarely kick in. Same for those in very hot areas like Phoenix.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone ever had the auto stop engine happen when it is below 30 degrees? I've noticed the engine always stays on in cold temperatures.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:09 PM
BSW
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the things that kills me about start/stop as implemented is when i stop the car to get the mail (leaving it running). Sometimes it keeps running, sometimes it shuts the car off (requiring pushing the button again), and worse, sometimes it shuts the engine off but doesn't require pushing the button (meaning i turn it off when trying to turn it on). I think it's tied in to when i put it in park, when i open the door etc. but the perceived inconsistencies are kind of annoying especially at the end of a long day.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BSW
One of the things that kills me about start/stop as implemented is when i stop the car to get the mail (leaving it running). Sometimes it keeps running, sometimes it shuts the car off (requiring pushing the button again), and worse, sometimes it shuts the engine off but doesn't require pushing the button (meaning i turn it off when trying to turn it on). I think it's tied in to when i put it in park, when i open the door etc. but the perceived inconsistencies are kind of annoying especially at the end of a long day.
In my experience if the car detects there are occupants or motion in the car it keeps the engine running when you step out of it.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I haven't had the start/stop system kick in for a few months now, basically ever since the temps got below 15C. In the summertime it worked fairly consistently.

As mentioned before I'm fairly the system is pretty complex and will only automatically stop/start when the system is confident that the battery charge, oil temps etc will stay constant. I even tried 'tricking' the system by turning down the heater temp to the lowest setting on a 15 degree Celsius day, and still nothing. It's annoying how you can't force it to work though, that's my biggest gripe. Sometimes I'll be waiting at a long light and I want the ignition to shut off, so lately I've just been manually shutting the car off.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier
Has anyone ever had the auto stop engine happen when it is below 30 degrees? I've noticed the engine always stays on in cold temperatures.
I've had mine on a Q7 work below zero. It's less of the outside temp and more how the outside temp is effecting the demands on the car (engine temp, interior temp, battery charge, etc)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A4 B9 Start Stop Not Working

Originally Posted by Count Rushmore
That is indeed part of it, but there are many factors. If for example the car is not yet warmed up or if is very hot out and the compressor is needed for A/C the system may not stop.

For example when it is below zero here the system will rarely kick in. Same for those in very hot areas like Phoenix.
From my experience when the start stop function hasn't been working it was a gearbox issue. That is just an early warning that something is not right with your gearbox.
Secondly of course it could be that your battery is faulty, it has a low voltage etc.