A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Tire / wheel sanity check - b9 allroad

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire / wheel sanity check - b9 allroad

It's time to take these stock wheels off! This is a gotland green b9 allroad. I have been reading a lot over the last two weeks but still need a sanity check on my new wheel + tire combo, as changing wheels is actually a new thing for me. Pardon as I ask some newbie questions. Concerned about rubbing and whether or not I'll need spacers. Would like this to end up being flush initially. Going to lower this on the 034 dynamic+ springs.

BBS CH-R in Brilliant Silver - 20x10 et25 (very conflicted vs satin titanium finish here)
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 - 255/35 20

Feedback welcome on the wheel finish / color combo selection here. Also concerned about tire longevity. I picked this pilot a/s 3 because I live in the mid atlantic and would probably be happy enough to just run one set all year round. .

Thread I referenced:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...-20-a-2918011/
Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I am not sure about spacers being needed, I am sure others can chime in, but perhaps a call to Tirerack would answer your questions?
As for those tires, I replaced my OEM's with those Michelins and am extremely satisfied with them. Too early to tell about longevity though.
See the reviews in this link. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+ A%2FS+3%2B+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=445VR8PSAS3PL&vehicleSearch =true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Audi&autoYear=2017 &autoModel=A4%20allroad&autoModClar=Prestige#Ratin gsReviews

I live in NE NJ and decided on dedicated snows.Besides the extra protection, they also take 3 months of the nastiest weather/salt.wear away from your All Weather tires.

Last edited by bob m; 01-10-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

bob thanks, i called tire rack and got someone awesome (luke). we're working this out. Will update the thread to share where I end up.

RE: all season advice, think I'll put some snows on my OEM wheels once I change them out. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock ET on the B9 is ET29. From what I understand (have not test fit any wheels yet) Flish ET is ET25. So you should be perfect in regards to ET.
Originally Posted by bosatsu
It's time to take these stock wheels off! This is a gotland green b9 allroad. I have been reading a lot over the last two weeks but still need a sanity check on my new wheel + tire combo, as changing wheels is actually a new thing for me. Pardon as I ask some newbie questions. Concerned about rubbing and whether or not I'll need spacers. Would like this to end up being flush initially. Going to lower this on the 034 dynamic+ springs.

BBS CH-R in Brilliant Silver - 20x10 et25 (very conflicted vs satin titanium finish here)

Feedback welcome on the wheel finish / color combo selection here. Also concerned about tire longevity. I picked this pilot a/s 3 because I live in the mid atlantic and would probably be happy enough to just run one set all year round. .

Thread I referenced:
Old 01-10-2018, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thread I referenced:
With a 20x10 ET 25 they will be very aggressive. That is what I have on my Allroad. I have paired it with a 265/30/20 because I feel there is too much stretch with a 255 on a 10" wide wheel.

All that said, lowered on my 034 springs, I get a very slight rub on the Right Rear only with large bumps (I never have people in the rear seat).

Last edited by Noggybowl; 01-10-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

bob thanks, i called tire rack and got someone awesome (luke). we're working this out. Will update the thread to share where I end up.

RE: all season advice, think I'll put some snows on my OEM wheels once I change them out. Thanks!
Welcome. I have bought several tire/wheel combos from Tirerack and have always found them knowledgeable and helpful. I don't think you'd regret getting a good pair of snows. And speaking of being helpful to you and for us, you may want to post your location/state with your name/pic.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Your build is one of the inspirations for what I'm after here. Looks like the only Pilot Sport A/S3+ wider than 255 is their 275 and 285. I am going to Luke from TireRack about that tomorrow.

How about 275/35 stretch/fit on 20x10 et25?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Your build is one of the inspirations for what I'm after here. Looks like the only Pilot Sport A/S3+ wider than 255 is their 275 and 285. I am going to Luke from TireRack about that tomorrow.

How about 275/35 stretch/fit on 20x10 et25?
Hey, sorry it took me a while to get back on here.

Thanks, the 275/35 will obviously have less stretch and would be a more square and appropriate look (in my opinion). However, I think you would run into rubbing with a 20x10 ET25. I would have to look into specs of the A/S 3+ to see how square they are on comparison to the PS4S.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Noggybowl
Hey, sorry it took me a while to get back on here.

Thanks, the 275/35 will obviously have less stretch and would be a more square and appropriate look (in my opinion). However, I think you would run into rubbing with a 20x10 ET25. I would have to look into specs of the A/S 3+ to see how square they are on comparison to the PS4S.
I really like the square look on these too. Luke at TireRack came back with this configuration that he believes will be the best blend of flush / fit / not rubbing: BBS CH-R 20x9.5 et 35 with A/S 3+ 255/35. He also suggested a 5mm spacer could be employed and stay hub centric, if I wanted to get more flush. That is where I am currently leaning, but this being my first rodeo, I am pausing to make sure I get this right. Noggybowl, your b9 is perhaps more poke and square than what I think Luke's configuration will get me. Would you agree?
Old 01-27-2018, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

I really like the square look on these too. Luke at TireRack came back with this configuration that he believes will be the best blend of flush / fit / not rubbing: BBS CH-R 20x9.5 et 35 with A/S 3+ 255/35. He also suggested a 5mm spacer could be employed and stay hub centric, if I wanted to get more flush. That is where I am currently leaning, but this being my first rodeo, I am pausing to make sure I get this right. Noggybowl, your b9 is perhaps more poke and square than what I think Luke's configuration will get me. Would you agree?
Yes, I would agree.

I think his solution would be more overall friendly. I don't think you would need/want a 5mm spacer with that setup.

Quick Reply: Tire / wheel sanity check - b9 allroad