A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Transmission Smoothness

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Smoothness

Looking for your feedback on the B9 Allroad and it's 7 Speed DSG.

Currently I have a 2015 VW Golf R which has the 6 Speed DSG. One complaint that I get from passengers (wife) is that the car does a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st when rolling up to a stop light/sign. It downshifts a couple mph early and the car just jerks a bit as the engine breaking takes over. It isn't too noticeable when you are the driver and your hands are on the wheel but passengers do feel it.

Do you notice this with the Allroad or have they adjusted the downshifts to match speed better and be smoother?

Also what RPM are you turning at 75-80 MPH?
Old 12-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Rushmore

Currently I have a 2015 VW Golf R which has the 6 Speed DSG. One complaint that I get from passengers (wife) is that the car does a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st when rolling up to a stop light/sign. It downshifts a couple mph early and the car just jerks a bit as the engine breaking takes over. It isn't too noticeable when you are the driver and your hands are on the wheel but passengers do feel it.

Do you notice this with the Allroad or have they adjusted the downshifts to match speed better and be smoother?

I don’t notice any rough shifting. In fact it’s very smooth compared to the DSG vehicles I have drove in the past.

Around 85 MPH for me it’s about 1900.

It’s easy to get past it believe me
Old 12-03-2017, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One complaint that I get from passengers (wife) is that the car does a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st when rolling up to a stop light/sign. It downshifts a couple mph early and the car just jerks a bit as the engine breaking takes over. It isn't too noticeable when you are the driver and your hands are on the wheel but passengers do feel it.

I have noticed jerkiness only when car is starting to move from stopped position. This is my first automatic transmission so it might be me, not the car.
Jerks seem te be less pronouced lately cuz I'm learning to be more carefull with power when I start moving.

Um, I'm afraid my info is not really relevant as my engine is 2.0TDI, 190hp. But here's one pic on a highway.
155kmh is 96mph.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Allroading17
very smooth compared to the DSG vehicles I have drove in the past.
I was hoping you would tell me it was horrible which would push me over to the S5 sportback
Old 12-04-2017, 02:49 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was hoping you would tell me it was horrible which would push me over to the S5 sportback
I do love the s5 sportback, but you can’t launch it like a DSG car
Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

No, this is not an issue on Audi's S-tronic at all in normal driving. The transmission declutches when you come to a stop and only goes into 1st once you are stopped. If you want more agressive and proactive downshifting, then you can put it in S(port) mode, but even then in the Allroad it's still very smooth. Something like the RS5 or R8 will jerk you around a bit in Sport mode, but that's desired in cars like that.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In my first 10,000 miles, I can recall just one harsh shift. It is smooth as silk.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

There likely is a transmission software update for your Golf R that would smooth out this harsh shift....I'd check into that with my dealer. Your car should not experience this, and no.....a new Audi does not.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've also had a very positive experience with the transmission. I do find the revs to be very slow for the speed. For example on the Autobahn during the ED pickup:
Old 12-06-2017, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2017 Golf R and I think gearbox is better than AR (1/2 gear, rev matching) AR is smoother in the upper range. AR 1 and second can be a bit jerky but not all the time, depends on the speed.

Quick Reply: Transmission Smoothness