A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

ES: Upgrade climate controller

Old 02-28-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES: Upgrade climate controller

Hello everybody!

I've been looking at the opened threads but did not find anything related to this problem...

I've recently adquired a second hand A4 B9 Avant with 15.000km. The car is just perfect. It does not have all features I'd like but I can live with it. However, one thing I am a bit dissapointed with is that it has the basic climate controller (the analog monozone one). It works fine but in my opinion is totally out-of-style...

I found the digital one through Internet (8W0 820 043 G) and just received it. The installation was quite straight forward and it worked fine until I turned on the car

After that the digital climate controller turned off and the off button started blinking.

It seems to me that once the system initializated it detected a non registered feature and it just disabled it. I'like to know if this feature can be enabled somehow (OBD, ...). Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to return it.

At the moment I've reinstalled the analog climate controller...

Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The digital controller requires additional hardware your vehicle doesn't have, including an upgraded compressor, compressor clutch, and added fans to circulate air into the extra zones. Unfortunately you can't just use the digital panel to control the lower end system.

A retrofit to the 3-zone system would in theory be possible, but the amount of parts required would likely not make much economic sense.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
The digital controller requires additional hardware your vehicle doesn't have, including an upgraded compressor, compressor clutch, and added fans to circulate air into the extra zones. Unfortunately you can't just use the digital panel to control the lower end system.

A retrofit to the 3-zone system would in theory be possible, but the amount of parts required would likely not make much economic sense.
I knew that the addtional zones air circulation would not be enabled as the car is not prepared to but I thought that at least I could control the main temperature/features.

The interesting thing is that after upgrading the module everything worked fine (the digital controller worked as expected, cold/heat, basic zones, ...) until I started the engine and the system initialized. After that I believed the system detected the HW change and disabled the module operation.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

You're certain it was actually working? Did you adjust fan speed and notice a difference? Adjust airflow direction?

Your hypothesis about what happened is correct. There are subtle differences between ignition on and engine on when it comes to vehicle systems checks. Since the air conditioning compressor is dependent upon running the engine, when the system detected an implausible situation it shut it down to prevent component damage. We design these failsafes intentionally.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
You're certain it was actually working? Did you adjust fan speed and notice a difference? Adjust airflow direction?

Your hypothesis about what happened is correct. There are subtle differences between ignition on and engine on when it comes to vehicle systems checks. Since the air conditioning compressor is dependent upon running the engine, when the system detected an implausible situation it shut it down to prevent component damage. We design these failsafes intentionally.
Yes, it worked. I tested the airflow regulation (manual button and also depending on the temperature) and the up/down/middle air direction distribution. Increasing/decreasing the temperature in both left and right controllers caused the same behaviour (I was expecting that right passenger controller would not work).

I suppose I'll have to return the module
Old 02-28-2017, 11:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

It worked because certain functions are mapped in software at the same logical addresses between the modules when they talk to the car's systems. However, the handshake that occurs (and must be satisfied) is different. I don't think this can be coded because the base A/C hardware doesn't know how to communicate with the digital module as the software is different. It won't respond in the manner the system is expecting, and it will shut it down.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hawe you removed component protection at audi?
the climate control is component protected
Old 06-14-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by david.hierro
Hello everybody!

I've been looking at the opened threads but did not find anything related to this problem...

I've recently adquired a second hand A4 B9 Avant with 15.000km. The car is just perfect. It does not have all features I'd like but I can live with it. However, one thing I am a bit dissapointed with is that it has the basic climate controller (the analog monozone one). It works fine but in my opinion is totally out-of-style...

I found the digital one through Internet (8W0 820 043 G) and just received it. The installation was quite straight forward and it worked fine until I turned on the car

After that the digital climate controller turned off and the off button started blinking.

It seems to me that once the system initializated it detected a non registered feature and it just disabled it. I'like to know if this feature can be enabled somehow (OBD, ...). Otherwise I'm afraid I'll have to return it.

At the moment I've reinstalled the analog climate controller...

Thanks!!
I almost ...... just DO IT to my audi a4 b9 ..... and it works !!!
the only you have to do is to coding in audi service.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Back to the discussion

Hi Friends!

My name is Fernando. I am from Brazil.

I just imported the digital climate control to upgrade the analog control that is default in my A4 2018.

But reading this thread, it caught me by susprise, as the discussion suggests that the upgrade is not possoble.

Any one was able to solve this puzzle withot going mad or changing the whole A/C system and spending billions of dollars?
Old 06-30-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Fernando Bisca
Hi Friends!

My name is Fernando. I am from Brazil.

I just imported the digital climate control to upgrade the analog control that is default in my A4 2018.

But reading this thread, it caught me by susprise, as the discussion suggests that the upgrade is not possoble.

Any one was able to solve this puzzle withot going mad or changing the whole A/C system and spending billions of dollars?
the cooling is working normally, all the controls, and the indications are ugly, the only problem I have is that it does not send the air in the lower part. I have to code the motors that direct the air down below

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ES: Upgrade climate controller