A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Whistle sound at low speeds on 2017 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi pbrown

I can honestly say that your noise is exactly the same as the noise I had. My recording was made to emphasise the noise so the mechanics could tune their hearing to what they were listening for when test driving. The noise is too similar in volume and pitch to be from a different source. The timing may differ slightly from car to car. Mine was only at low speed, in transition from 2nd to 1st or 1st to 2nd. Your recording is a good one (if we even touch a mobile phone while driving Down Under it is a massive fine) and I would do exactly as I did and give your agent a copy. Please tell them about the software uodate for the transmission and in particular the adjustments done after the update is in place.....it really did get rid of the noise for me.

Regards
avss01
Old 06-12-2018, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avss01
Hi pbrown

I can honestly say that your noise is exactly the same as the noise I had. My recording was made to emphasise the noise so the mechanics could tune their hearing to what they were listening for when test driving. The noise is too similar in volume and pitch to be from a different source. The timing may differ slightly from car to car. Mine was only at low speed, in transition from 2nd to 1st or 1st to 2nd. Your recording is a good one (if we even touch a mobile phone while driving Down Under it is a massive fine) and I would do exactly as I did and give your agent a copy. Please tell them about the software uodate for the transmission and in particular the adjustments done after the update is in place.....it really did get rid of the noise for me.

Regards
avss01
OK! That is a great follow up. Thank you. I will do that.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So... my dealer wants to replace the propeller shaft after listening to my video. Crazy?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pbrown
So... my dealer wants to replace the propeller shaft after listening to my video. Crazy?
That's a bit overkill. Do you have access to an OBD11 or similar vag tool? I can show you where to monitor in the transmission module since you seem to be able to replicate the sound easily.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used to hear the whistle sound as well at some point past 5k miles. I feel I started hearing it when the "cooler" temps in NC set in, but now it seemed to have disappeared again and I currently have 13k miles on it.
I had it at my dealership three times because of that high pitch whistle and every time nothing got fixed despite the technician being able to hear it and replicate. All I got back was, it's just the way the car is as all other cars do it too which is big BS if you ask me. I didn't hear it when I first picked it up in May 2017 and haven't been able to hear it again since March 2018 without the dealerships help. It's so weird.
Other stuff started to bother me though. Getting lots of interior door panel cracking lately. Will bring it back because of that and hopefully they put in more felt or so. It usually goes away when I put my hand on the front speaker box for example.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So it's been on-again off-again with my dealer, but they've now had the car for a week and done extensive testing and comparison testing. They are telling me that the pump sound is normal, and occurs on other A4's and A4 Allroads. I guess I have nothing to do but to accept their conclusion, as it seems to be what others are experiencing. I find it annoying, but will be able to get used to it eventually I suppose.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by pbrown
So it's been on-again off-again with my dealer, but they've now had the car for a week and done extensive testing and comparison testing. They are telling me that the pump sound is normal, and occurs on other A4's and A4 Allroads. I guess I have nothing to do but to accept their conclusion, as it seems to be what others are experiencing. I find it annoying, but will be able to get used to it eventually I suppose.
I can totally appreciate your frustration with the whistle noise. I had to take my 2017 A4 back twice to prove to the dealer that I wasn’t losing my mind and just hearing things. There is a great video on this forum that can be used to help the technician identify the sound. The video has the exact sound that I’m sure you are experiencing. Apparently this sound is from a Accumulator priming pump for the transmission. More pronounced during cold weather operation as the demand before the fluid expands as the engine warms up may be higher.

The dealer replaced the pump under warranty and I have not noticed the sound since. Will wait for final verdict once we get into the colder weather.

Good luck!

Dtown
Old 10-10-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Keep us posted on if it returns with cooler weather. My dealer claims they drove both a brand new regular A4 and an Allroad and heard the noise on both, so it may be "normal" for this car.
Old 11-08-2018, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just a quick update that unfortunately with the weather getting cooler here, the pump (wooden flute sound) noise has returned. Guess it will be something I have to live with...ugh!

Best,

Dtown
Old 11-14-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for the update. It appears that the noise is "normal" for this car... annoying at worst, but at least I now feel confident that it isn't going to damage my car.

Quick Reply: Whistle sound at low speeds on 2017 Premium Plus