A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Winter wheel/tire recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
Might be a road trip or two, but if you are referring to long trips up snowy, windy country roads, nope. More city and basic highway driving.
You’re likely fine with the all seasons then.

My plan is to use the stock wheels to put snow tires on and a dedicated Summer Wheel and Tire setup. At least that way I won’t have to buy another set of wheels and tires as Winter set.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get by with tire cables on all-seasons if you need a "just in case" solution. Not sure how legal they are in NJ but they have saved my A a few times when it comes to getting from a snowed or iced in point A to a relatively cleared roadway.

I put 225/55R17 winter tires (Hakka R2 last year, now Michelin Xice 3) on a set of 17x7.5 with 32 offset rims. You'll want the skinnier tires to reduce float.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbooze
You can get by with tire cables on all-seasons if you need a "just in case" solution. Not sure how legal they are in NJ but they have saved my A a few times when it comes to getting from a snowed or iced in point A to a relatively cleared roadway.

I put 225/55R17 winter tires (Hakka R2 last year, now Michelin Xice 3) on a set of 17x7.5 with 32 offset rims. You'll want the skinnier tires to reduce float.
Don't know if cables are legal or not in NJ, thinking no, BUT why did you go from Hakkas to Michelin Ice?
Old 12-13-2017, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know if cables are legal or not in NJ, thinking no, BUT why did you go from Hakkas to Michelin Ice?
An unfortunate incident that shredded one tire and caused sidewall bubbles on two more. The tire shop I ended up at could only source the Michelins within the time frame I had. They are much better on pavement as far as noise/comfort go compared to the Haks, snow/ice performance is decent so far though I haven't been able to test them in poorer conditions.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a heads up if you decide to go the Nokain route - make sure they do a good road-force balance and look for issues when mounting. I always liked Nokian snow ties, but last year my tire shop went through three sets trying to get four that would balance acceptably. We finally gave up and just went with the LM001.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong cb

Originally Posted by crystalmountainskier
Bumping this thread as I am again in need of advice. I foolishly bought a snow tire and wheel package from the Audi dealer where I purchased my '18 allroad in September. The winter wheels they sold me are 18" with an offset of 36 and tires are size 235 45 R18. The allroad stock wheels are also 18" but with an offset of 29 (I think) and the tires are 245 45 R18. I did not have the snows installed right away because it was not winter so I drove home with them in the back. The kicker: from the closest Audi dealer to my house is a 5 hour drive.

Fast forward two months, I go to the local Big O Tires for changeover and they say the winter wheel setup Audi sold me simply will not fit on the car. They are too busy to explain properly but agree not to charge me despite having taken all four wheels off, trying the winter ones and putting the others back on. I call the Audi salesperson and he wants to send me some sort of hub rings to fill any gap at the center bore, he thinks that is the issue. I think the issue is actually the offset. I'm clearly not a car person but 36 seems awfully different from 29. Even the salesperson now acknowledges the recommended offset range for the allroad is 24-32 but he still wants to try and make the setup work from afar with some combination of spacers/rings.

Is there any way to make these winter wheels I bought work or are they simply not right for the car? I am leaning towards driving 10 hours back to the Audi dealer to let them make the wheels work or give me a refund. What would you do?

Good news is I absolutely love the car.
You probably figured this out by now but the dealer sold you wheels with a 57.1 centre bore and you need 66.5. Don’t let them sell you a spacer. Typical dealer move trying to move all stock - idiots
Old 12-22-2017, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn St. Denis
You probably figured this out by now but the dealer sold you wheels with a 57.1 centre bore and you need 66.5. Don’t let them sell you a spacer. Typical dealer move trying to move all stock - idiots
Finally sorted it out today. That’s exactly what the problem was. They swapped me for new wheels that actually fit. Wish I didn’t live 5 hours from an Audi dealer but the car is worth it. Thanks all for the advice.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Winter is coming and looking for recommendation from the group.

I live in western Washington and travel to the local ski resorts most weekends. Looking for advice on a dedicated winter tire setup especially from members driving in similar conditions/region. Need feedback on durability of the tire rack Sport Edition wheels and optimal tires for the conditions, debating on Michelin Xice or Blizzaks.

thanks
Old 10-21-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi,

I am in Ontario, Canada and have a set of BBS SR wheels (gunmetal colour) for my winter setup - they were relatively inexpensive and I always like to have two sets I can change out without having to use a tire shop. Went with Michelin X ice i3 in the stock size - 245/45/R18 and love them. Quiet on the road when its dry and excellent in the snow.

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I run a 19” in the summer and the stock Allroad rims with 245/45/18 Michelin Ice X3 in the winter - very happy with the set up.

Over the last decade, I’ve tried Hakkas, Nokians, Hankooks, Michelin and Blizzak.

The Blizzak compound is far and away the best winter tire, but that compound consistently gave me 7-9k miles max. After that range, the remaining tread was just standard winter tire rubber.

The Michelin’s have been great - definitely not as good as the Blizzak - but the compromise for doubling the winter tire life has been worth it for me.

The remaining brands have performed well, but not nearly as well as Blizzak or Michelin.

Quick Reply: Winter wheel/tire recommendation?