A4 allroad (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 allroad quattro 2017-

Your thoughts on Bang & Olufsen?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on Bang & Olufsen?

I read that some A4 sedan owners complaining of subwoofer issues and overall unimpressive audio performance. Seeing that the subwoofer is different in the AR, I'm curious as to what AR owners with the B&O system think of its performance?

I'm not expecting it to be at the aftermarket level. For example I think the ELS system in Acura's are pretty good for OEM systems, and superior to Bose systems of older Audi's. This new B&O system touts 3D sound, but do they come with decent speakers in addition to fancy sound processing?

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Disclaimer: I help install and configure home audio/visual systems and I attend live symphony and jazz performances. I find that many listeners get excited about total (surround) immersion and roof-rattling bass; but I prefer hearing something closer to a live performance. I find that if I minimize the "immersion" characteristics of the B&O and keep the bass under control it sounds pretty good.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything is relative. Coming from BMW's basic Harmon Kardon system, the B&O in my new Audi 4 sounds great.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Lol. I'm really curious as to which A4 owner thinks the B&O in the sedan sounds unimpressive!!!! It does rattle but only if the volume is cranked up to near eardrum-shattering levels and is bass heavy. I love the B&O in the sedan. One of the best stock systems I've ever heard and the best in its class (class of cars I mean).
I didn't know the allroad had a different subwoofer. Where is the subwoofer placed in the allroad? Spare wheel well? Or trunk sidewall?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
I didn't know the allroad had a different subwoofer. Where is the subwoofer placed in the allroad?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Thank you Dan. Now I'm really curious as to what the difference in sound is between the sedan and allroad because of the difference in location. I'm sure non-audiophiles won't notice a difference. Someone with a trained ear might.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Thank you Dan. Now I'm really curious as to what the difference in sound is between the sedan and allroad because of the difference in location. I'm sure non-audiophiles won't notice a difference. Someone with a trained ear might.
My colleague and I install high-end home A/V equipment and have about 30 installations around St. Louis. I have played in bands and orchestras and prefer live classical and jazz when the occasion permits.

Many of customers, and most owners "showing off" their car systems, over-do the special effects: total-immersion sound field, over-whelming bass; rather than simulating live music. I just have to grin and bear it. They are listening to their expensive hardware, not to the music,

In my Allroad I find that if I trim back the 3D and immersion parameters and tame the bass it sounds much better. Probably safer, too, since I can then hear the sirens on the fire trucks that insist on sharing the road with me<G>!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

It might be quite interesting for the folks here if you shared your settings, albeit they're personal to you, but might help people establish a better baseline from which they can adjust to their heart's content. Just a thought.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Le Chef
It might be quite interesting for the folks here if you shared your settings, albeit they're personal to you, but might help people establish a better baseline from which they can adjust to their heart's content. Just a thought.
Sure, with the disclaimer that it will depend somewhat on the kind of music you want and the degree of special effects that you like.

With my preference for classical music that sounds like I am near the front of the symphony hall, I am currently enjoying:

Treble = 12 o'clock (half-way)
Bass = 2 o'clock
Balance/Fader = centered between the L & R front seat headrests
Sound Effects
Focus = all
Surround Level = 12 o'clock
3D Effect = Low

For jazz you might try a bit more treble although the above will be fine too.

For pop go as far you want, for rock maybe not as far as pop. "Oldies" rock might be closer to the jazz settings.

As you listen to different sources you might notice a wide range of quality. Some streaming music is quite treble-deficient. If you can find a local HDFM classical channel you will have a decent reference point to judge the others by.

And tell us what you find! Thank you.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Dan, this is incredibly helpful. I listen almost exclusively to jazz and my initial impression during a test drive was that for such a prestigious audio name the system was underwhelming and sounded over produced. We take delivery this week and this will be near the top of the list of boxes to check while getting organized for the weekend.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Bang & Olufsen?