A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

"Stopping" ticket story (more)...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-1999, 03:35 PM
Tom

Default "Stopping" ticket story (more)...

Hi everybody:
I helped my cousins moved their stuffs to their new apartment since they had already sold their house. When we reached the street outside the apartment, a local city official handed both of us the tickets for illegally parking! That's a BIG question mark!
When that a**hole wrote a ticket for me, I didn't even get our of my car and the engine still idling cause I saw my cousin being ticketed by that a**hole in front of me. At the back is one of her friend parked on a "rarely" empty parking zone. When I got off my car, I asked him what's the matter of loading some stuffs. I also argued parking is different than loading. Loading zone doesn't mean is a parking zone. He told me this BS: "no parking means no loading, that's means you have no excuse of illegally parking" I told him: "if loading zone means parking zone, it means we can park outside all of the loading zones". He ticked me for illegally stopping. I turned on my hazard lights for loading stuff, he should ticketed those who's car is waiting for roadside assistance as illegally stopping. The sign has this:
NO PARKING FROM HERE FROM 9 AM TO 5 PM. Yes, its 2 pm. But I am not stopping and parking, I am UNLOADING!
Thanks for vent
Anyone advise will be appreciated
Tom
97 A4 1.8TQMS
99 JETTA IV GLS 2.0<ul><li><a href="http://vanncouver.a4.org">A4 CLUB VANCOUVER</a></li></ul>
Old 08-16-1999, 03:46 PM
CC

Default Life is greater than just a ticket or an A4!

1. I can understand where you are coming from. If you can dispute the ticket, pls do and if I were you, I will too.
2. If you cant, you just have to pay up. Look at it this way, either the officer is trying to meet his quota or he is just being an *******. Life is more than just a ticket and obviously he is not passionate enough.
Hope you felt better after writing you msg. Life moves on..... *.^
Old 08-16-1999, 09:19 PM
Brian C. Hays

Default Re: "Stopping" ticket story (more)...

I know a ticket sucks, but I would just pay it. It looks like you are in Canada, but I am sure that law would be the same. At least in California, a ticket while you are NOT moving is just a fine. It doesn't affect your record or anything else. For this reason, it seems that it would be a better use of your time/money to just pay the ticket and get on with life.
I see your argument, and although it makes some sense, it won't convince a judge. No parking means you can't have your car there period. I haven't seen these type of signs in CA, but in other states I have seen signs that also say no standing and no stopping. My understanding of these is that if you are in your car and it is OFF, then you are stopping. If you are in your car and it is ON, you are standing. If you are not in your car, you are parking. I believe that in your case, like CA, if it only says no parking, then your car can't be there at all, as that sign covers all three NO's.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Brian
Old 08-16-1999, 09:52 PM
Tom

If I am going to pay for it, I will lost 1/8 of my coming APR 1.0 bar chip....
Old 08-16-1999, 11:11 PM
BCH

Default If you fight it how much time off work/aggrivation will it cost you? (more)

The choice is yours what to do. Noone else (including me) can tell you what to do. I was just saying since it shouldn't affect your record, you would probably be better off just paying it.
However, if you have the FREE time and patience to go and try to fight it (which is not guarenteed you will win) then by all means go for it.

Good luck.

Brian
Old 08-17-1999, 04:49 AM
JSC

Default Sorry, you lose...

I appreciate your attempt at logically working this through, but you'd lose in the courts I practiced in and was a traffic court judge in.

No parking means no parking. Period. Long or short term. No stopping there and leaving your car or idling for a period of time.

No loading means you may stop for limited period of time to load and unload only. No loading zone is a less restrictive subset of no parking; you may not "park" in a no loading zone.

Sorry; nice try, though.
Old 08-17-1999, 01:09 PM
CL2

Default CA law on "stopping"

This does not relate to loading zone/no parking zone. But be aware that in CA you can actually get a moving violation for "obstruction of traffic" if you are stopped in a traffic lane. It is a true ticket with points on the record, just like running a red light or speeding.