A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

** OIL service light reset!?!? **

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ** OIL service light reset!?!? **

So I have about 98k miles on my 1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro. The OIL service light blinks for about a minute when I turn the ignition on. So I got an oil change about a week ago and of course the light is still there. It's annoying and would like to get rid of the OIL service light.

I've read online 2 ways to reset it on your own, using the two ***** on the tach. But it doesn't work.

"A4 1995-1997

Requires diagnostic tool.

A4 1998-1999

Press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. "OIL" or "SERVICE OIL" will appear in display. Release button. Pull out button on left side of instrument panel until "---" or "SERVICE ---" appears in display. Turn ignition off."

1995-1997 models need the diagnostic tool or need to be taken to the dealership to reset the service light. 1998+ models can be reset without going to the dealership or using the tool. I have a 1998 model. Not the 1998.5 model. Does that mean I'm a part of the 95-97 model? That might explain why the reset methods don't work for me.

If anyone can chime in, I'd appreciate it. I took it to the dealership today thinking they'd reset it for free, but they wanted to charge me $75 bucks just to get rid of the damn light. I'm not paying that amount for them to just reset the light.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

anyone?
Old 01-26-2011, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M3tor2nR
anyone?
If your car has a Delta Stereo it's early 98.

Early 98 will need a full version of VAG.com . Shareware version doesn't work.

Vag.com is $249 and up from Ross-tech. Almost all the old time Audi/ VW guys have one. It's the best $$$ you can spend it you want to own your car for a while.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Most likely if your car is a '98 it was produced during mid '97. I have the same problem in my '96 12v but I have never bothered spending any money on fixing it. It only beeps like 4 times and turns off by the time you get down the street. But, if you are planning on having an audi for a while I would definitely suggest investing in a vag-com. For the meantime, im sure if you find a audi/vw specialty shop they will clear this for much less than $75, never go to the dealer... BTW where in the bay area are u?
Old 01-27-2011, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

If this method did not work for you:

"Press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. "OIL" or "SERVICE OIL" will appear in display. Release button. Pull out button on left side of instrument panel until "---" or "SERVICE ---" appears in display. Turn ignition off."

then you definitely need VAG-com to reset it. I use that on my 99 car and it worked everytime (service and OIL resets) Also i think removing battery will help but i don`t recommend
Old 01-27-2011, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

FYI

If you can borrow a VAG.com you can change the default parameters for the SRIs so they show up less often.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
FYI

If you can borrow a VAG.com you can change the default parameters for the SRIs so they show up less often.
here is the DIY article for how to reset your SRI's if you can get your hands on the software.
http://audi.kris-hansen.com/SRIreset.htm
Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the info everyone. Looks like I'm stuck getting it reset from a dealer/shop, or buying the vag.

Originally Posted by TL12vA4
BTW where in the bay area are u?
I'm in the East Bay. Union City to be exact.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Reset oil service light

Originally Posted by weaselciuy
If this method did not work for you:

"Press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. "OIL" or "SERVICE OIL" will appear in display. Release button. Pull out button on left side of instrument panel until "---" or "SERVICE ---" appears in display. Turn ignition off."

then you definitely need VAG-com to reset it. I use that on my 99 car and it worked everytime (service and OIL resets) Also i think removing battery will help but i don`t recommend
Yes this process does indeed work for a 1998.
Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TVM Guru
Yes this process does indeed work for a 1998.
Thanks
As already said not on an early 98 only 98.5+

Quick Reply: ** OIL service light reset!?!? **