A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

[URGENT] Should I trade

Old 07-19-2017, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [URGENT] Should I trade

So I seen a guy that put up his 2004 A4 1.8t with MT @ 150k miles. I have a 2004 Honda Accord ex-l V6 with AT @ 146,xxx that is my daily and I'm looking to trade him. I have no experience with Audi or the euro market so my question to you guess is, 1) is it worth it? ( I know Audi's are more pricey to repair than my Honda). 2) Should I avoid it because of high mileage and I myself do not nor have I asked yet about the history of this car. 3) when I do get there to look at the car and test drive what should I keep an eye out for? This is urgent because I'm going to meet this guy tomorrow afternoon and I want to know at least a little bit of info before I jump right into this. Thanks for any information given!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

IMHO, I would just stick with your Accord for the following reasons:
1. You know its history;
2. Cheaper to maintain. Cheaper parts.
3. Honda's are quite reliable compared to German cars, in general.
4. That Audi 1.8T engine is no match for the muscle of the Honda V6. You're trading down on this feature. That's 170-HP vs. 240-HP.

Unless, the Audi A4 you are looking at has something very special that it is worth ditching your Honda Accord. Is there anything special with it? Or, is there a problem with your Honda Accord that is pushing you to ditch it?
Old 07-19-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
IMHO, I would just stick with your Accord for the following reasons:
1. You know its history;
2. Cheaper to maintain. Cheaper parts.
3. Honda's are quite reliable compared to German cars, in general.
4. That Audi 1.8T engine is no match for the muscle of the Honda V6. You're trading down on this feature. That's 170-HP vs. 240-HP.

Unless, the Audi A4 you are looking at has something very special that it is worth ditching your Honda Accord. Is there anything special with it? Or, is there a problem with your Honda Accord that is pushing you to ditch it?
My Accord has it's fair share of issues, first off it has a salvage title from a wreck the first day I got my license(i was driving) so I know how bad the wreck was and honestly wasn't bad enough to give it a salvage title, my model Accord is also known for have common tranny issues and @ 146,xxx miles it's just a matter of time, it does have some slight twist to the frame identified by random dents in the body and the moonroof doesn't properly seal, the insurance company said there was probably hidden damages and their not wrong. And overall I'm really looking to get a standard transmission car.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Zach, welcome aboard! I think Plat's assessment is pretty much spot on. I fully agree with the thought process on two high mileage cars: Better the devil you know

If you do proceed with a used, older Audi, be certain to have ample cash reserves set aside for work as it comes at you so you aren't hitch hiking to work.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach_T
My Accord has it's fair share of issues, first off it has a salvage title from a wreck the first day I got my license(i was driving) so I know how bad the wreck was and honestly wasn't bad enough to give it a salvage title, my model Accord is also known for have common tranny issues and @ 146,xxx miles it's just a matter of time, it does have some slight twist to the frame identified by random dents in the body and the moonroof doesn't properly seal, the insurance company said there was probably hidden damages and their not wrong. And overall I'm really looking to get a standard transmission car.
Yeah, you are right concerning the 2004 Honda Accord and its tranny issues. I used to own a 2002 Honda Accord V6 with Auto Tranny. While my 2002 and your 2004 are of different generations, I have heard and read about their Ford-built ****ty trannys that are prone to fail. Rebuilt units have not addressed the issue and Honda does not want to come up with a solution to fix it. This is the main reason why I ditched my mint 2002 Accord V6 after only owning it for several years from new.

In your case and the condition of your 2004 Honda Accord, I think you have a good reason to ditch it for something else. I am not familiar with the problems of 2004 Audi A4's with the 1.8L Turbo Engine. I am sure some other forum members would chime in and offer some buying advice and what to watch out for.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

After doing some consideration and weighing risk/reward I feel I'm going to hold off until a better trade offer comes up. My decision comes after considering cost to repair the Audi if something does come up wrong with it, it does have slightly higher mileage, not knowing the maintenance history, has less power (I do love the Honda V6 lol), and after looking and considering the advice you guys have given me I believe I'm making the better decision. I am still going to keep my car up for trade and see what other offers come along. I appreciate all advice given!