A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1.8t crank but no start need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.8t crank but no start need help ASAP

Hello everybody

well yesterday evening the car was driving and all was good I got back home park the car in the drive way and in the morning the car crank but refuses to start up tried to spray this spray for starting the car to the intake but no success there, connected vag-com found no code. What else can go bad and how to check it

Please I need the car running as it’s my only car (by the way it’s 2002 A6 with 1.8T European ver.)

Any ideas are more than welcome; please let me know if you need any more info
Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Fuel pump?
Step away from the magic starting spray.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well I used the same spray to start the car last time I run out of fuel and it started great unfortunately this not the case now
Old 04-07-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by nrgglider
Well I used the same spray to start the car last time I run out of fuel and it started great unfortunately this not the case now
The safe way to use a starting fluid spray is to disconnect the rubber intake hose at the throttle body, and give a little shot through the butterfly valve, then hook the hose back up. DO NOT spray into the air cleaner intake.

If you do the correct method and no-start, then suspect ignition.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

The safe way is not to use it. There should be no need on a fuel injected car.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you can also pull the spark plugs and see if they are wet? and then if it has spark.

obviously you need fuel, air and spark. does the car smell like Gas? if it smells and the plugs are wet you could have bad leaky injectors and fouled plugs, although this is not at all a common problem so I doubt this will be your problem. but you need to check the plugs and spark and fuel....
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
The safe way is not to use it. There should be no need on a fuel injected car.
I'll agree and don't have any of that stuff. But as long as he's got some, it could be a quick test for whether there's fuel or not.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be that the crank position sensor is bad.

This will often times cause starting issues.

Jason
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

hi everybody i really appreciate the help of all of you well i did some of the tests and here is the results :

speed sensor: ok
spark: ok
fuel pump: didn't hear its starting so removed the cover in the trunk disconnected the electrical connection and discovered when key is out it receive about 3V when cranking 12V

so by the look of thing looks like the fuel pump is bad but what i cant understand is why the car doesn't start when is spry into the intake manifold

any ideas
Old 04-09-2011, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nrgglider
hi everybody i really appreciate the help of all of you well i did some of the tests and here is the results :

speed sensor: ok
spark: ok
fuel pump: didn't hear its starting so removed the cover in the trunk disconnected the electrical connection and discovered when key is out it receive about 3V when cranking 12V

so by the look of thing looks like the fuel pump is bad but what i cant understand is why the car doesn't start when is spry into the intake manifold

any ideas
Not sure why you would see 3V with key out, pump is run through a relay, which should not allow any voltage to be there. You also need to check the resistance at the pump's terminals. You can have 12V and no current if the pump's motor is bad. You can also move the fuel pump relay points by hand (with its plastic cover off) to see if the circuit and pump are OK.

Quick Reply: 1.8t crank but no start need help ASAP