AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   10MPH collision = $20,000 damage (98.5 A4 2.8QTipS) (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/10mph-collision-%3D-%2420-000-damage-98-5-a4-2-8qtips-4457/)

Danilo 01-19-1999 12:49 PM

10MPH collision = $20,000 damage (98.5 A4 2.8QTipS)

Hello --<p>I use to frequent this bbs every day until Dec. 4th 1998, when I got in--what I though was--a minor car accident. I was sorely wrong. It is 7 weeks later and I'm still A4less. The accident consisted of me hitting a van w/ a high bumper at <= 10MPH. Here is the catch: The point of impact was right smack on the front Audi rings, completely missing the front bumper. This caused my hood to crumble slighty, bent fan assembly, broken lights, etc. It looked like $4k damage max. I was informed two weeks ago that this isn't the case. According to the Audi technician, pistons inside the engine had bent, and it would be better to order a brand new engine from Audi @ a $8000 pricetag. <p>How could this possibly happen? The only part of the engine visiably damaged was a slight bent blade on the fan assembly. Could the fan axle somehow push into the engine causing internal engine damage? If so, shouldn't Audi have more protection for high impacts with so many SUVs/Vans on the road? If anyone else has had a similar situation please contact me.<p>I talked to Audi yesterday and they said that they've already removed my engine, and should have the new one in by Thursday, then it'll be in the bodyshop for a couple weeks. Wish me luck in returning to A4dom.<p>Shooting up Prozac,<br>Danilo (4 mouth old 2.8QTipS getting a new engine)<p>

21stcdb 01-19-1999 12:55 PM

my t-bone is at about 13,000 and climbing!! i miss my A4

Tony 01-19-1999 02:14 PM

Re: 10MPH collision = $20,000 damage (98.5 A4 2.8QTipS)

Impact probably hit cam belt (behind plastic front cover), broke belt, open valves crashed into piston on upward stroke.

Matt Daniels 01-19-1999 02:32 PM

Actually, you should be glad you're getting the new engine.

That way you know everything is going to be OK. It would really suck to have the body work complted then find out down the road that there was engine damage.<p>At least you will be able to rest easy knowing that your car is as good as new.<p>Matt

phred 01-19-1999 03:25 PM

What the hell, why not try and get your insurance to total the car? Then get another

igor 01-19-1999 03:54 PM

If they will do that, buy the car at its salvage value and then part it out

Dale B 01-19-1999 04:30 PM

Not Likely to happen. Ins. Companies aren't in the habit of giving away money.

If the car is worth, say, $27,000, and the damage is $20,000: If they fix it, they pay $20,000. If they total it, they pay the customer $27,000 and, if lucky, get a few thousand back from salvage value. (Not much with a destroyed engine). To get the insurance company to do this, you would have to convince them to give you a gift in the amount of several thousand dollars, essentially. Not likely. (I don't think most people would like this to be their company's policy - it would tend to raise rates greatly).<p>However, several things could help, such as if the car is truly worth just a little over $20,000 retail (not the case with a 98.5), or if there is likely to be a few thousand worth of hidden damage that crops up during the repair process. Or, if the salvage value were a lot higher. (Maybe salvage could be $10,000 if it had been hit from the back instead of the front).

Mike C 01-19-1999 05:48 PM

How much depreciation deduction on the new engine?

<br>I assume you are getting a new audi crate engine? if rebuilt, audi then no depreciation should be appplied. if new engine you are receiving a betterment and depreciation is to be applied. I am curious on how much the insurance co is deducting? how many miles on factory mill?

Doug H 01-20-1999 07:16 AM

Re: Not Likely to happen. Ins. Companies aren't in the habit of giving away money.

Insurance companies will generally total a vehicle if the repairs are 75 percent the value of the car.<p>If the accident is not you fault, get diminution of value. Diminution of value may push over the threshold. These claims need to be pushed hard on the front-end. Fat chance of getting a total after repairs have began even if several thousand dollars in unforseen damage latter arises.

qt4lddht 01-20-1999 03:39 PM

Curiosity: how would YOU design a road-hugging car to withstand high-riding impacts?

Wouldn't it make more sense for truck-based vehicles to accommodate impacts from below (see Mercedes-Benz M-class, a hybrid car-truck chassis designed specifically to do that)?