A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1996 A4 (AFC)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 03:49 PM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 A4 (AFC)

I just finished overhauling the motor in my '96 A4 Quattro. So far so good, beside a few small speed-bumps the car is running and running well. Have to hunt down the causes of a few OBD DTC but that is a non issue. The DTC should be resolved within a week or two as I have time... But I do have a few questions if anyone wants to take a stab at them.

First... Is there a way to read/reset DTCs from the Airbag system and ABS system without VCDS? Of course, reading is most important, so I can get an idea of where I need to look to find the issue... ABS light, I am almost 100% sure, is a wheel speed sensor... Should be an easy fix... Not so certain about the airbag.

Second... Does anyone have any photos, or can they take photos of the emergency brake lever/switch? My e-brake light switch is sitting loose under the center console and I can't, for the life of me, figure out where it goes... Alldata and my Chilton manual are no help. (I think the Chilton is using generic photos, no similarities except that it's an e-brake lever).

Third, and last... One thing I have noticed since I have had the car back on the road... Occasionally the MIL will fluctuate in brightness... While it does this, the Oil Temp gauge goes wonky as well... It usually only lasts a few moments... I am trying to find correlation between these two circuits... If there is none, I have to assume the instrument cluster itself is to blame... But the MIL is not on the cluster circuitry...

If anyone has any insight into any of these issues, please share.

Thank you.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:36 PM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Cleared the DTCs today. One issue down.

Ordered Rotors and Pads... Need to get them installed and adjust the e-brake cable... When I do that, I would like to reattach the Parking Brake Warning Light Switch... I have, once again, spent a couple of hours on a fruitless search for a picture of where and how it mounts.

It should be the most simple thing in the world, but I cannot find the opening where the switch clips. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The abs sensor can get stuck in and be a nightmare to get out. Don't forget the clamping sleeve. Sometimes an easy fix, sometimes it fights you all afternoon.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Highmile
The abs sensor can get stuck in and be a nightmare to get out. Don't forget the clamping sleeve. Sometimes an easy fix, sometimes it fights you all afternoon.

It's an easy fix. Already have the hub pulled and the ABS sensor removed... Just have to clean it up, press in a new bearing, install new sensor and reinstall the hub assembly. Currently have a hub assembly from a '99 (which uses an incompatible wheel sensor).

What I really need help with is figuring out a way to reset the ABS and Airbag computers without VCDIS (VAG-COM). I don't have it and I don't have access to one.

Going to need to get the car inspected soon... Need to clear the ABS and AirBag warning lights... If worse comes to worse, I will pull the bulbs for inspection, but I would rather fix the issues.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is no way to turn it off without some kind of scan tool that reads the ABS module. Vagcom is not the only one out there.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got a VAG 305 scanner for under $20 delivered from China.
I was skeptical, but it works. Cleared and read ABS and Airbag codes, no problem. I keep it in the center arm rest.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:31 PM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up purchasing the following tool from ECS.

007868SCH01A - VAG Professional Scan Tool - ES#2827082

Used my credit-card rewards to take $160 off the cost so it cost me about $50 with shipping.

Should be here by Thursday.

Also, I figured out the mounting location of the E-Brake switch.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GZ
Already have the hub pulled and the ABS sensor removed... Just have to clean it up, press in a new bearing, install new sensor and reinstall the hub assembly. Currently have a hub assembly from a '99 (which uses an incompatible wheel sensor).
Depending on when your '96 was built, the wheel bearings can be different from a '99. The 1999 bearing is 82mm OD, while many 1996 cars have 85mm bearings. I just changed them (85mm) on my '96 a few months ago.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:13 AM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

I am using the entire rear hub from the '99 parts car. Wheel bearing and speed sensor are, most definitely, different.

It was a quick and dirty job due to a failed bearing and tight cash.

I still have the '96 hub assembly and that is what I was referring to.

Still trying to figure out why my oil temp gauge occasionally reads erratic. Oil temp (I.R. Thermometer at the pan) is reading a consistent 10 to 15 degrees below what the temp gauge reads, which should be about right taking into consideration instrument accuracy and such.

Checked the connection today to sensor... It seems secure. My thoughts are it is a failing sensor or a bad connection somewhere in the circuit. It seems to go erratic more often on rough roads than on smooth roads or at idle.

Yesterday the oil warning light and chime activated 3 separate times. I am unsure as to whether the temperature circuit can trigger the warning or not. Has not happened since.

Fresh oil change prior to warning light yesterday. Checked oil level all 3 times and it was good. The second two times I did notice a correlation between the oil temp gauges erratic behavior and the warning light.

Passed inspection today. So that's one less thing I need to worry about. lol.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 PM
GZ
Audiworld Junior Member

Wonky Oil Temp Gauge and hard start issues have been resolved. Source of the problem was a disconnected chassis to engine ground strap. Oops.