A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1998 Audi a4

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Audi a4

Hey guys, I have a 98’ Audi A4 Quattro with a 2.8. I’m having a problem with power or something. At first I thought it needed a battery but it did the same thing when I put the new one in: acted like it was going to start but wouldn’t turn over. Then the inside lights would flash on and off and the battery light would come on. I could keep it running by holding the gas but the RPMs would go up and down and then when I let off the peddle it would die. I’m not sure what could be the problem if it wasn’t a battery problem. My ABS & engine light have been on since I got the car if that’s important. We also had one of the coil packs replaced a year or two ago but even before that it ran alright
Old 07-12-2018, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Some confusion with terminology here, when you say it wouldn't turn over does that mean it doesn't crank (which could be a battery), or it doesn't catch (which is likely not)? The rest of you post reads like it is not catching, and since the engine light is on (the ABS is a different issue, likely needs the module rebuilt, one of the channel wire likes to burn off, but again, check the codes) I am going to suggest that you find a way to read the codes, because there could be any number of reasons why it doesn't want to idle.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by David.Norton
Some confusion with terminology here, when you say it wouldn't turn over does that mean it doesn't crank (which could be a battery), or it doesn't catch (which is likely not)? The rest of you post reads like it is not catching, and since the engine light is on (the ABS is a different issue, likely needs the module rebuilt, one of the channel wire likes to burn off, but again, check the codes) I am going to suggest that you find a way to read the codes, because there could be any number of reasons why it doesn't want to idle.
it cranks and turns over if I hold the gas pedal down but immediately dies. I bought a new battery for it and it did the same thing. But the engine light has been on since bought due to exhaust leak and the sensor being messed up for it (I assume). A while back while it was running I went too advanced auto to get the codes read and their reader couldn’t connect to it.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A VAG scanner will tell you what's wrong..

Sounds like a vacuum leak or MAF malfunction.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Choppy idle and dying is most likely a MAF sensor. They get all clogged up and start reporting falsely. I would replace it (they're pretty cheap) if it's never been replaced before.

You should also replace the air filter. The MAF sensor gets clogged up usually because the filter needs replacing. This will improve overall engine performance as well.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree you really need to get a VAG COM scan. Otherwise you are guessing and possibly throwing parts at it.
My initial thought about idle searching is it suggests an air leak. But if you have a sensor issue who knows.