A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

1999 323i after 2 weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1998, 08:14 PM
Clint Stark

Default 1999 323i after 2 weeks...

I've been reading this forum and checking out this site for over a year now. Excellent site.<p>Well, I made the plunge after much research, test drives and debates: leased a 1999 BMW 323i, black on black 5 speed.<p>I too struggled with the A4 vs. 323i debate. Fortunately, I think this is one decision that you really can't make a mistake on -- both are superbly engineered and I think beautiful looking sedans.<p>A few quick thoughts on the 323i:<p>- Harman Kardon sound system excellent<br>- steering wheel controls convenient (although I have not been a big fan of them in past)<br>- front-end design very classy and nicely integrated fog lights<br>- rear end ok, not as nice as Audi<br>- 7 spoke wheels look good, although probably could use better rubber<br>- shifter a little notchy -- A4 was much smoother with shorter throw<br>- clutch friction point needs a little practice<br>- engine has nice sound when revving about 4,000rpm -- although I should not be doing this too often as I have not past the break in 1200 miles<br>- Guage cluster nice, but I think the Audi was a little nicer; the constant mpg needle on BMW can be distracting; computer nicely integrated and controlled via stalk<br>- brakes on 323i excellent<br>- leather and general interior treatment expensive, but business like<br>- despite some negative comments in car magazines about cup holders I find them useful<br>- toolkit and flashlight nice touches<br>- thumbs up on one touch down/slide on windows and sunroof<br>- also, programmable key and car features good<br>- bonus: residual at 68% !<br>- 8 air bags (!)<br>- heated seats, ski pass through/bag...in San Jose?<p>That's about it for now. Oh, also the BMW dealer was much more professional and customer oriented than the Audi counterpart.<p>Both excellent cars...happy motoring!<p>Clint<br>
Old 10-19-1998, 08:19 PM
Clint Stark

Default Re: pics 323i at web site

My website for pics:<p>http://www.clintworld.com/<p>I know, I know...not Audi pics, but come on...I'm an Audi fan (that TT is cool!)...and who knows what my next car will be...<p>Cheers!
Old 10-19-1998, 09:05 PM
Brent Smith

Default You nailed 'er... now check Car and Driver...

I can't believe this forum and how when I read everyones postings they come out just like I had writen them(ie. same thoughts). Good one, I too struggled on the 323 vs. A41.8T and went the Audi route. One thing I am currently choked about is the article in Car and Driver about the 328 and A4. What a lame artile! These two cars is what this mag is all about. They have always loved the BMW and A4 but churned out this brutal comparo. The A4 is an "old friend" and the 328i has a "cold interior" and shifter is "balky". I used to repect there tests but really, how about they tell us something we don't know. Read it, you'll be disappointed too. These two cars destroy the competition (is there any?). The Car and Driver boys somehow managed to get ten times as horny over the Contour 4 pages later! Someone write those guys and give them hell. If anyone learns something from this article, let me know what it is. What is even worse my girlfriend bought me a one year subscription in January and they quit sending me mags this summer. Does 6 months = one year at the Car and Driver Subscription Office?!? I'm choked. I had to buy it at Walmart... :-(<br>PS Your right - the A4 has a cuter bum.<br>Brent<p>
Old 10-19-1998, 09:39 PM
Alex B.

Default Hey Clint, you have made my day! :-)

Your 323i looks great. Mine is on its way.<p>Happy touring.<p>AB
Old 10-20-1998, 05:07 AM
RobS

Default Re: 1999 323i after 2 weeks...

Congrats on your new car. Let's see if the few immature people out there can bite thier fingers and resist trying to flame you for a sound decision. Like you said. You can't go wrong either way. 68% WOW!
Old 10-20-1998, 05:23 AM
What's the URL

I tried the clitworld.com but no 323i
Old 10-20-1998, 06:12 AM
John K

Default got a quote for 67% residual for a 99 1.8T!

Looks like audi's resale value is slowly getting better. How much was your 323? and How much is the lease? I'm also trying to decide.... sweet inline 6 vs. quattro and lower price..... I've wanted an a4 for 3 years, and now the 3 series is making me think twice-- competition is great...
Old 10-20-1998, 06:58 AM
Doug H

Default What was the money factor. High residuals misleading.

I bet mid 3s.<p>Better to have low residual and low money factor than high residual and high money factor.<p>Your note would likely be less with a 62 percent residual and a mid 2s money factor. Then at least when it is time to turn the car in, you have a chance of having a bit of equity.<p>IMHO, these high residuals are getting rather misleading.<p>STILL, A GREAT LOOKING CAR. Just pissed off how companies are manipulating residuals to make people think they are getting good deals when in reaility, the attractive residual deal is usually much worse for the consumer.
Old 10-20-1998, 07:05 AM
Immature, but amused

Nice typo !
Old 10-20-1998, 08:57 AM
John

Default I agree... i hate higher residual values too

Higher residual values mean higher interest and less equity building. I was just responding to the comment that a 323 had a 68% resid. The A4Q seems to hold its value in a similar fashion.

Quick Reply: 1999 323i after 2 weeks...