A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2001 Auto trannsmission help? car won't move

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Auto trannsmission help? car won't move

I just swapped the tranny in a 01 1.8t, the old tranny the oil pump went out or should I say the bushing went out and it leaked, other then the leak the car drove fine. So I finished the swap, and drove the car about 1/2 mile and the car quit moving totally. I get no codes and the car will not move at all not even try to move. any ideas? I am no transmission guy but I have played with them a bit. i assume I can maybe check fluid pressure with Vag but not sure. it does show all gears when I move the shift lever so I assume electrically it's ok. I am hoping maybe it needs more fluid do to the short drive but even low on fluid it should try to engage a gear?? when driving it felt like it just shifted into neutral and that was it!
any suggestions or tests?

thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

well now if I rev the car, I will get a code 17114 gear ration monitoring: incorrect gear ratio P0730-35-00

so any ideas yet?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

You can't check pressure by VAG-COM, but did you fill it correctly? A short drive itself won't cause the trans to need more fluid. Any noises from the trans, such as an odd swishing noise?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

no noise at all, sounds " normal" except when you put it in gear you get nothing!
filled correctly although I only went through the gears 1 time when filling. I have done many fluid changes but this is the first trany swap I have done in Years, the tranny came drained so i am wondering if it could be possible that it didn't fill up in park and still overflowed. I know it should take more fluid since it was totally drained then it would with just a filter change.
just seems strange everything worked just fine then about 1/2 mile down the road it shifted smooth and fine it went into drive then seems like you just put it in neutral. no noise nothing just stopped accelerating! It was a 45mph road so not runing it hard. I am out of fluid but thrusday i should have more and I will check levels again,not sure what else to do at this point. It seems like the torque converter failed or the pump quit.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well if everything was empty, it should have taken about 9 quarts total. If less than that, I'd be suspicious that it's underfilled. Hope so, that would be the best outcome.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

WELL no luck on the fluid, it's full. and I pulled a cooler line and it is bone dry, no fluid pumping out at all. So what would keep the pump from pumping??? their is no abnormal noise at all in the tranny. With vag I can test all the solinoids but it won't finish the component test when it gets to the transmission relay it stops and It won't re run the test unless you close the module and come back???? so what are my options now??
does it make sense to swap valve bodies even though it seems to work?
any ideas just what will keep the pump from pumping fluid out the cooler lines?

If their was something wrong with the filter or pickup I would assume you would get the sloshing sound or something. I am guessing it is something electrical or a total pump failure, Correct? but since this tranny came from a bone yard i can only assume it worked!

Please any thoughts or suggestions
Old 11-10-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would tend to think pump, but total pump failure seems unlikely. Sure the torque converter is turning? All the screws are holding it to the flex plate?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, unfortunatly you can see the torque converter turning. and with vag going thru measuring blocks you get readings from torque input. and rpms.

I hate to pull the pan but I guess what else can I do but even if I do pull the pan not sure what to look at other then check if somehow the filter came apart and totally plugged the pickup which is real unlikley. even if it is pluged you should get some fluid and you should get a gurgling sound from the pump.....

any other thoughts?
Old 11-10-2011, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

also as for the pump, I know this tranny came from a wrecked car but I assume it worked sence the car was in a accident!!! and just a instant total failure seems odd! I mean it shifted from 1st, 2ond 3rd 4rth drive perfect then just like it went to neutral, I was still acelerating.
i borrowed my buddies shop which is 1/4 mile from my place, tuesday I drove the car from his place to mine, shifted thru all gears and I has home. left the car and went shopping with the wife. then yesterday went for a drive got about 1/2 mile and it quit. during this time it was moved around at his shop and parking lot and the car probably ran for 25-30 minutes. at my place I moved it around a bit from spot to another then went down the road. just makes no sense at all to me.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just ran the component test on my 02 A4 trany and it is the transmission power relay that locks up the Vag on the 01 car, it completes the test on my car but not on this one. so any ideas as to what this relay is?

Quick Reply: 2001 Auto trannsmission help? car won't move