A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

98 A4 2.8 Crank but not start. Have VCDS

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 A4 2.8 Crank but not start. Have VCDS

A quick concise story that might have useful info:

Bought the car, previous owner put new battery in, car died while driving (alternator was bad). I have not yet replaced the alternator, but I have the replacement.
Battery put in by previous guy was **** so I put in a good one and tried to start it to run a scan before replacing the alternator. Car would crank but not start. I tried this nine or so times.
I sprayed some starter fluid into the air intake. Car would try to start but wouldn't go all the way. I figured the car was flooded and the spark plugs were having a very hard time.
I replaced the spark plugs with new laser platinum's by NGK. The old ones had some nasty, nasty crud on them and the insulation was all cracked.
I removed the fuel pump fuse to prevent flooding again and tried starting the car with only starter fluid in the intake. This time, it cranked but didn't even sputter.

Now back to decent grammar...

The timing belt is good, so I know it's not that. The car has 280k miles on it so a lot of things could be the problem. I know it's not a fuel issue and I assume it's not a spark plug issue. Air is good (MAFS and air filter are perfect), fuel is good, plugs are good (though I never tested spark from the coil pack). My scan turns up nothing that seems obvious to me and I REFUSE to take this guy to the dealer or a VW shop so... I turn my scan results to the experts. I use a quality sensor (VAG COM/VCDS) so I hope you'll trust it. I suspect the alarm system due to the faults gathered. Due to the engine cranking but not starting, I have a hard time believing it's an anti theft issue. I've also heard that the immobilizer will allow the car to start for a second or two then cut off. Neither case matches mine.

I have not tested compression but I think due to flooding gasoline may have washed the cylinders of oil. I can remove the plugs and dump some oil into each cylinder, but I'd rather not unless you guys believe it will restore compression. In the end it does not sound like compression is bad. I can post a video if it will help you guys determine for yourselves.
To keep the post short, I wont keep talking about what I think it is. Scan attached. Have away gentlemen!
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Log-455410km-282978mi.txt (4.4 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Cody Hubert; 09-30-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked for blown fuses or damaged wiring?
Crankcase position sensor could cause your car not to start. I think the fuel level sensor will just show an incorrect fuel level.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I've had my car not want to start but I could tell it wanted too. I had to pump the gas fast for a good 15 sec, then it would catch.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Your diagnostic says G28 engine speed sensor is inoperative. Why are you ignoring this? This is a common failure for this age and mileage.

Check out: 16706/P0322/000802 - Ross-Tech Wiki
Old 10-01-2018, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a replacement VSS, but the car ran before without it installed (speedo just didn’t work. Tach worked fine), and right now my priority is to get the engine to start. I can pop it in later tonight.

Also, I did perform continuity checks in all the fuses and they came up solid.

I checked for spark this morning and found there was none. Odd since the engine was trying to fire before I replaced the plugs. Maybe the coil pack? Maybe I just checked wrong since I used a copper plug to test and there are ngk laser double platinums in the cylinders atm.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do not understand your response. If the G28 is out the car will not start. It does not allow a spark. Why it gave up when it did I do not know. But if it is out the car will not start. You said to trust the scan. I am out of this discussion.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just to catch up since some one else may have the same problem, I was being an idiot. Due to the fact that my speedometer didn't work, I had ordered a Vehicle Speed Sensor. When I saw Engine Speed Sensor on the scan, I thought they were the same thing. The Engine Speed Sensor is also referred to as a Crankshaft Position Sensor, the nomenclature I was aware of. They are synonymous.

Look up your codes and don't dismiss anything that may seem important. Thank you Clancy for slapping me. Work is still ongoing on the car, but that's for a different thread.