A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

'98 A4 High Miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 A4 High Miles?

Hi- Looking at an Audi A4, and it seems to be in pristine condition, with the exception of very high miles (136K+). The seller says the 1 owner drove it to commute to work and they are mostly highway miles.

This is my first car, and I'm looking for something inexpensive to just get around town, and don't expect it to last more than 2-3 years (though I would be thrilled if it did). Is it a bad idea to get an Audi with so many miles, or does the engine wear well? I would expect it to have some things needing attention at so many miles, but I'd like it to be moderatley dependable. It's a 1.8t Quattro. Any input? Thanks!!

P.S. I wouldn't be looking for any resale value after I'm done with it-- it will probably only be suited to be a Kidney car or something- or if it has any life left in it I'll give it to my brother as his first car. Either way I'm not looking for it to retain value.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few things...

That is a slightly high amount of miles. I would HIGHLY recommend taking the car to a trusted mechanic to have inspected. If this audi has been cared for properly then there is no reason it is not a good car to own, but if it hasn't, it could be a nightmare. Make sure the timing belt has been changed recently and that the suspension does not squeek.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First of all how much? Second, are you unafraid of working on cars?

If the car was a single owner and he/she took good care of it, it should be fine. However, key things like the Timing Belt and waterpump need to be addressed like Jestnomen said. Definitely have a trusted mechanic that knows german cars look at it.

Things will most likely need replacing at that mileage. However, after working on my car I actually don't want to ever get rid of it because I know the engine bay pretty well now. Also, the collective knowledge in this place is so great that I don't think there is anything short of catastrophic engine failure that could stop me from being able to troubleshoot/fix problems. I personally think the 1.8T is a great engine. Little things tend to break but most of it is a DIY fix/replace.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:49 AM

Default Re: First of all how much? Second, are you unafraid of working on cars?

O sorry forgot to say how much: The bid is currently at $3500 and it shouldn't get higher than $5K I think.

Yes, I have a certified VW/Audi mechanic who is willing to work on the car, and I'm going to have him inspect it as "Jestnomen" suggested. I'm going to ask the seller about the timing belt/water pump and if there are any known suspension problems. But the truth should all come out when I have it inspected.

Not going to be bothered by "little fixes" I don't think... DIY stuff doesn't scare me, and I have my mechanic standing by if I goof things up too much. I just want to make sure that Audis can stay reliable (for the most part) at such high miles. I mean, I know one car that is hard to keep running past 106K! So, thanks for all your help and I think I'm going to go for it... what's life without a little risk anyway??
Old 08-12-2004, 04:22 AM

Default i have 139k...

very mildly modded, driven hard almost every day and still running like a champ! just keep up with maintenance... oil changes, timing belt! but expect things to fail and for them to cost $$$. certain things tend to fail more than others just like any other car... maf, timing belt, control arms...

Good luck on the bid!!! and if you do win... welcome!
Old 08-12-2004, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If it wasn't changed recently I'd change the TB/WP for good measure...

More piece of mind. Also, for a low bid like that, sh*t I'd even consider it.