A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 anti-theft technology and insurance costs for "high theft vehicles"

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 anti-theft technology and insurance costs for "high theft vehicles"

I just got my Massachusetts auto insuance renewal and noticed that a lot of A4 models are on the "high theft vehicle" list:

1.8T Avant Quattro '00
1.8T Quattro '99 and '00
2.8 Avant Quattro '99 and '00
2.8 Quattro '99 and '00

My 2.8 Avant Quattro is a '98, so I'm not affected, but I'm curious about this as will probably buy a new one in the next couple of years.

High-theft vehicles are subject to increased premiums or even denial of coverage unless they are equipped with "Category III or IV" anti-theft devices. Does anyone know if the new A4 model will have this technology, which also allow premium discounts on any car?

Here's a brief summary of approved technology (some of which is obviously intended for aftermarket systems).

Category III: ingition or starter cutoff with auto arming when turning key to off position OR fuel cut-off with auto arming when turning key to off and well-hidden fuel open switch OR armored ignition cutoff switch with anti-hotwire protection OR time-delay ignition system (pre-programmed delay of 3-20 sec between turning key to on and turning it to start or car won't start) OR ignition/hood lock (armored and switch-operated or electrical and passively armed when key turned to off OR steel ignition protection cover OR ignition disabler at preset engine speed with auto-arming and hidden switch OR kill switch, passively armed, with tubular lock or remote to disarm OR heavy duty ignition column lock OR hydraulic brake lock (locks brakes on).

Category IV: LoJack type system (I think OnStar would cover this).
Old 05-24-2001, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mass. is weird with their insurance...

The Category III and IV ratings are probably particular to your state. A local dealer might know how the Audi system stacks up against the insurance requirements mandated by your state law. Your best bet is the LoJack type system hopefully being covered by the OnStar service being planned for the next gen Audis. Otherwise I think you're looking at aftermarket alarms as you already figured. Those Category III requirements are pretty extreme for a factory alarm system.

Good luck...
Old 05-24-2001, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What's stopping you from saying you have this?

The insurance company is not going to come out to the car to check. I don't see how they can verify that the car has what you say it has (abs, airbags, alarm, etc).

I'm not just talking about Audi's here. My dad's 93 Camry has ABS, but that was an option at the time. He could have just told em he had ABS and gotten the discount and they wouldn't have known the difference.
Old 05-24-2001, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts

Have an accident or theft revcovery...they nail you with fraud!
Old 05-24-2001, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's my thought. I'm not about to mess with insurance fraud.