A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

A4 Customer Parts Concerns ( sorry it's long )

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1998, 08:34 AM
Mark Burns

Default A4 Customer Parts Concerns ( sorry it's long )

I received an e-mail from Dale Black expressing concern about parts prices and parts availability this weekend. As an A4 owner and an Audi parts manager I'd like to keep all A4 owners up to date.<p>Audi stocks parts back as far as 1980, future parts supplies will not be a problem. There has been some confusion on availability of certain color coded parts due to catalog description problems. Audi lists anthracite as grey...it is however black in appearance.<p>Back orders will always occur and VoA and AoA are working hard to improve this issue.<p>Dale mentioned parts prices, especially major components being extremely high.<p>Comparing parts to other car models of similar type Audi is in the ball park. These items include body parts, engine etc. Most body parts have a reduced dealer margin to keep them competitive for insurance jobs....and against aftermarket body parts.<p>VoA and AoA is working on competitive pricing stategies as I write this. They are comparing OEM parts pricing against aftermarket on a range of parts ( maintenance, brakes, etc. ) in an effort to reduce those prices to compete. This is a very aggressive program and shows a lot of promise and benefits for the Audi owner. At the dealership level we are starting to see prices lowered on a number of items and will begin to see many more after the new year.<p>If you have had a major repair on your Audi under warranty and seen what you might call excessive prices, don't be to concerned. A new transmission may have a list price of $8,000.00-$10,000.00, in normal circumstances we would not use a new unit if a remanufactured unit was available at less than half that price. New units are used to get you back on the road in the shortest amount of time possible. Dale also mentioned catalytic convertor prices being in the $ 4,500.00 range each. I haven't seen this but can tell you that Audi cats. usually range in the $ 200.00 to $ 900.00 area depending on the design of the system.<p>I am a member of a team created by VoA to address these and other issues going into the new millennia. They are taking very seriously your concerns, as increased vehicle sales and service put pressure on the current distribution system. The team includes parts and service managers and personnel from all departments in VoA. I believe they are on the right track. There will be some growing pains, but in the end, well worth it.<p>As far as myself, I plan on keeping my Avant way past the warranty, I think it is one of the best cars I have ever owned.<p>As far as Clair is concerned, we will do everthing we can to keep your costs as low as possible. We really appreciate our internet A4 customers..........<p>If anyone has concerns feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer them ( don't want to take up to much space on the board if possible )<p>Best Regards<br>Mark Burns
Old 11-02-1998, 08:56 AM
Roy M

Default I guess the sky isn't falling thanks to you Mark B.

It seems that a lot of people are jumping to conclusions concerning part prices, reliability etc. Thanks for your comments on pricing and expecially on various colors. We were all thinking that if a interior part broke we would end up with a new part of another color. I'm sure that Audi will stock parts for a very long time and you have reassured us of that. <br>Roy M 98.5 2.8q Tip (The best car I have owned)
Old 11-02-1998, 09:02 AM
RobP

Default Attn Jason Teller

Jason T. -Maybe this should go in the FAQ?<br>
Old 11-02-1998, 09:09 AM
TGB

Thanks for the info Mark. Very helpful.
Old 11-02-1998, 03:17 PM
gary

Default Audi is paying attention to this forum

Talked to AoA about some of the info posted on this forum. Was told that AoA monitors comments and concerns expressed on this forum. Anyone know of any other Auto manufacture that actually dialogs with users at this level?<br>
Old 11-02-1998, 04:33 PM
Dale B

Default Re: Mark's Note

As Mark noted, I sent a note to him asking about several recent incidents that created a very negative (anti-Audi) impression on the forum:<br>- The person that was told he could only get a grey replacement console and that Audi no longer had the proper black ones.<br>- $10,000 replacement transmissions.<br>- $4,500 catalytic converters.<p>My purpose was to try to get some responses to these types of issues for the forum. I am the owner of a 98 2.8Q with the same interests as everyone else here. Unfortunately, I think only a small minority of forum readers will ever read Marks note.<p>Mark replied personally to me and posted his note (above) to the forum. I think he did a great job and we Audi owners don't have as much to worry about as we feared. As usual, there's more to the stories that are posted on the forum. (Mark gave me more detail on the console situation than he posted here. In summary, the proper part IS available, but it's called Anthracite, not Black, and the dealer wasn't aware of that). The best thing in our favor is competition. If Audi gets ridiculous in parts prices, people will go elsewhere for their next car. Audi doesn't want that, and that keeps Audi (as well as other mfgrs.) in like.
Old 11-03-1998, 03:49 AM
Peter

Default This all sounds great, but...

a new transmission costs $8 to $10K?!!! Is it made out of titanium? I can tell you, if my tranny went under warranty, I would demand a NEW one, not a remanufactured unit. Remanufactured parts are cheaper for a simple reason, they're not as good as new ones. This situation is extremely distressing to a new Audi owner. I guess before I decide whether to dump my car back on the dealer at the 3 year mark, I need to price out all the major maintenance I would expect to perform within the first 100,000 miles.<p>I mean really, how can a tranny retail for $10,000? That's absurd.<p>Peter
Old 11-03-1998, 04:53 AM
tomt

Default Agreed...and what happens to the defective one they replace? IF we wanted to keep it, would there be an *additional* core charge?

Think about it. Since they would be replacing the defective transmission with a new one, what happens to the old one? Is the *difference* between the new one and old one worth $10,000???
Old 11-03-1998, 05:39 AM
Mark Burns

Default Parts replaced on warranty

As Audi is paying for the repair the old units are the property of Audi and returned to the warranty office for inspection. This is one way to help determine what caused the failure and what steps can be taken to improve the product.<p>Eventually these will be rebuilt. This is one of the ways a manufacturer builds a core bank for the future.
Old 11-04-1998, 04:25 AM
Peter

Default Re: Parts replaced on warranty

As I would expect. But you avoided my main points. First, as someone who has seen his share or remanufactured parts installed in my cars only to fail well sooner than a new part would have, I would be skeptical of accepting a remanufactured tranny. Nowhere in my warranty does it state that remanufactured parts are acceptable replacement parts, and I would fight this issue tooth and nail. Secondly, I still can't understand how a new transmission can cost $10,000. This is absolutely ridiculous. Even for a German car. The fact is this number either reflects tremendous inefficiencies on the part of Audi, or a huge profit component. Neither is very comforting to owners. Please say it ain't so! If the tranny cost $10 grand, I can imagine what other critical drivetrain components must cost.<p>Peter 98.5 2.8QM