A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

about to go have shock replaced, what is the liklihood the bushing/shock mount is toast?

Old 05-18-2007, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default about to go have shock replaced, what is the liklihood the bushing/shock mount is toast?

The front rattles a LOT over bumps etc. It is a metalic rattle. I know the shock is blown, but am not sure if it is just the shock or likly the bushing/mount the shock goes into as well.. I've heard when they go there is a lot of rattling. I dont want to get in there w/ shock out and then find out I need bushing replaced too (as shop may not have part on hand). What do you guys think? Also I had heard that running a blown shock for a while increases liklihood bushing will be toast, shock has been blown since I bought the car, so at least 6 months. (I didnt know shock was blown, thought as all CA related, replaced CA's/TRE's and still had suspension noise..)
Old 05-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default I have yet to see a shock top go bad on one of these things...

They are not like Mac Strut upper bearings. These bushings don't take nearly as much of a beating.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well mark this up as a first then! Top was really beat up, and thats what most of the knocking

noise was coming from (as opposed to just blown shock) I was concerned that it would be damaged based on the noise I heard coming from it. The hole (which is suppose to fit snug) was oblonged and had almost a CM of play! We were unable to get a new part, even from dealer (they dont stock them, VW or Audi) so we ended up using thick steel washers below shock mount and above (kind of inside) shock mount. This reduced a lot of the play. Koni was completely trashed, could not even pull it out. New shock feels great, still a tiny bit of the "metalic clink" noise, nothing like it was and barely noticable unless of course you know its there and are listening for it (which I do and am....) Much better though, most importantly there is now a functioning shock!
Old 05-18-2007, 03:14 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default The nut was loose all this time. I bet if you just tighten it, the noise will go away.

the hole doesn't get beat up unless that top nut is loose.
Old 05-18-2007, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well not sure what happened then. Nut was on there good and tight, took it off and hole was all

beaten up, very possible that it got chewed up from nut being loose at another point in the cars lifetime (perhaps before eibach/koni setup was installed, or maybe right after it was installed. Either way nut was on there tight, but plenty of damage had already been done. They installed NEW shock, and put everything back together tightly and properly (I had no ride, so sat there and helped/watched him do everything) It is all tightened down nice and good, like I said the noise is minimal now, but still audible (that is if you know its there and turn off radio, roll down window, and put head almost outside window) Basically some noise, but nothing that will bother me. The hole was/is really beat up, so still some side to side play, but nothing up/down thanks to the steel washers. (which is the main concern)