A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

ABS engaging at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS engaging at low speed

I have searched this forum quite a bit regarding the ABS coming on at low speeds. My particular issue is the vehicle engaging the ABS at around 10 km/h. If you go above 20 km/h and then brake, you can replicate the issue.

You can feel the pedal becoming softer, and pushing farther down, and then the ABS will pulse just as you come to a stop.

I have a run a VAG on the car, and the ABS was diagnosed as not having any faults. The wheel speed sensors are reading the exact same speed all the way down to 0. However, the VAG disconnects if you go above 21 km/h. So it is fairly difficult to replicate the problem with the VAG connected since you have to get the car above 21 km/h to make the issue reappear when you brake.

I had an upper control arm replaced on the drivers side front, and that was the only work done. I noticed that the wheel speed sensor was not pulled out.

Since the sensors were not touched, it shouldn't be a seating issue.

But the ABS problem, did surface directly after the front control arm was replaced by the shop.

Has anyone figured out what actually is the cause of this problem if their is no ABS code and no sensors pulled out?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sensors could be dirty. Or it could be related to the work the shop did. Why not discuss it with them first?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Same happened to me. Dirty sensors, but the shop refused to admit fault and wanted to replace.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Was fine, control arm replaced, now not fine. Simple cause and effect IMHO.

Reseat the sensor on the corner that had the work done.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just clean it the sensor will reset it self once cleaned but I will bet it just that or it not seated correctly or worse they cocked it up putting it back.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. When I look at the sensor, it really does not look like the tech pulled it out, I mean there are no marks on it from prying it out with a screwdriver, or really anything to indicate that it was touched.

When I went to take a look at it, I was really sure that I would have found that it was loose, or that it was not seated properly.

But the sensor is so tight in its socket, that it seems that it would be easy to pop out, had it been worked on.

Does the sensor need to have a tool to pull it out? I tried putting my fingers around it, and pulling but it was really in there.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I used a pair of vice grips to get mine out. You just have to be careful that you don't tighten them up too much. The sensor is only plastic and probably been in there for years.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

abs wheel sensor was not pulled out.
it is not loose, and the wires are not stretched.

I guess it is just coincidence that it started acting up after the control arm was replaced.

The ABS light is not on, and there are no fault codes in the ABS. All the wheel sensors are registering the same speed right through to a stop.

I am at a loss. What can it be? Would it still be a faulty wheel sensor, and I just need to replace it?
Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Did you remove the sensor and clean it?

Originally Posted by jstnvndn

I guess it is just coincidence that it started acting up after the control arm was replaced.
LOL. That's a stretch.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am going to try and pull it out today and clean it.
The "coincidence" part was sarcasm, sorry I should have put up an emoticon.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: ABS engaging at low speed