AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Advice needed: Putting amp and a bass box in the trunk (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/advice-needed-putting-amp-bass-box-trunk-11096/)

Yan 05-19-1999 12:12 PM

Advice needed: Putting amp and a bass box in the trunk

I am considering adding a Sony XM-405EQX 5-channel amp to the stock non-Bose system on my 99.5 A4. I am also hoping to get a Q-Logic box with some kind of 12" subwoofer (brand undecided). Since I will be doing this myself I wanted to get opinions from people who have done a similar installation. If the amp can be mounted on the bass box, how would I attach the whole thing to the car? I want to be able to take out the sub if I need cargo space, but if the amp is attached to it, I would be stuck with no stereo at all. I should probaly mount the amp underneath the rear dash ( I read the whole discussion a while ago about the upside down mounting and I agree that it's a no-no) and then use bungee cords to hold the sub box in the trunk and just unplug it whenever I want to. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.<br>-- Yan<br>99.5 1.8TQMS VBlack/Onyx, Autotoys CD changer only, so far....

Jason 05-19-1999 12:21 PM

Re: Advice needed: Putting amp and a bass box in the trunk

Just last week I put in a 5 channel Alpine amp and a 10" subwoofer enclosed in a Q-Logic box. I had pros do it and after talking to a lot of them they all said the upside down thing was a big NO-NO. They said the best place was behind the rear seat (40%side). I still have all the stock speakers (non-bose) and head unit. but now the speakers are connected to the amp and honestly sound AWESOME.. like they were different speakers!!! i'm very very happy with my system now... maybe far far down the road i'll replace the speakers with Polk or MB Quartz. of course my amp is not removable, but i can always take out the sub if i need more trunk space.<br>Jason<br>98.5 1.8T pearlescent

Andy Hedin 05-19-1999 12:22 PM

Velcro on the bottom of the box works great!

Yan 05-19-1999 12:41 PM

Does it leave any marks when you &quot;un-stick&quot; it from the Audi carpet?

Jason 05-19-1999 12:43 PM

You can also use a rubber non-skid mat ..that's what i use and you can't see it.

Andy Hedin 05-19-1999 12:45 PM

None that I can see

Andrew A. 05-19-1999 02:39 PM

Re: Advice needed: Putting amp and a bass box in the trunk.....Here you Go.....PIC

Yan,<br>I am posting pictures of my amp and sub installation. The Alpine amps, JL audio 6.5, MB Quart 5.25 separates and Alpine CD Head were installed by Audio Coupe in Fairfield CT. I highly recomend them to any one in the area who is looking to have a high quality stereo work done on their Audi. The JL Audio W3 10" sub was supplied by them and the box was built by a vendor of theirs after taking measurments of the A4 trunk space. The enclosure is ported and it is very narrow so as not to take up too much trunk space. The mounting system I came up with after discovering very quikly that with the A4s handling and power....well..it just does not stay put! It is mounted using 1" nylon webbing that I purchased at Eastern Mountain Sports. I think the pictures will make everything self explanitory. Don't hesitate to E-mail me with questions....Good luck and happy motoring!!<p>Andrew A.<br>99 2.8QM Brullen-cat back, K&N, Momo shiftknob <br>

Andrew A. 05-19-1999 02:41 PM

Re: Advice needed: Putting amp and a bass box in the trunk.....Here you Go.....PIC

Here is a better view of the amps......<p>Andrew A.<br>99 2.8QM Brullen-cat back, K&N, Momo shiftknob <br>

Andrew A. 05-19-1999 02:42 PM

View from the passenger compartment<p>Andrew A.<br>99 2.8QM Brullen-cat back, K&N, Momo shiftknob <br>

Andrew A. 05-19-1999 02:45 PM

Here is what is left when you have disconnected the sub.....really easy to remove and it is completely uncluttered.<p>Andrew A.<br>99 2.8QM Brullen-cat back, K&N, Momo shiftknob <br>