AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/)
-   -   Airbox Modifications - anybody done it...if so...your impressions? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-b5-platform-discussion-1/airbox-modifications-anybody-done-if-so-your-impressions-1552/)

Steve S. 01-11-1999 05:13 AM

Airbox Modifications - anybody done it...if so...your impressions?

Besides Steve Moyle and the Greedspeed folks...anyone else tried this? Curious about the engineering employed. How big are the holes, where did you put them on the box (side, back, front?). How much louder is the car? Seat of the pants dyno results? TIA<p>Steve S.<br>97 2.8QM<br>

Dmak 01-11-1999 07:35 AM

Re: Airbox Modifications - anybody done it...if so...your impressions?

I have done a cold air setup if that's what your refering to?<p>My setup is basically a duct from a racing catalog, which I placed in the opening on the passenger side. From there I connected a 3" tube which extends to the bottom of the air box. I used another duct inside of the airbox and cut a 3" hole on the bottom of the airbox and connected the two ducts... Vuola! Custom cold air..<p>As for the car being louder it's not.. Same.. The box sillences the sound a lot I guess. As for performance I don't know if it has done anything.. I installed together with my Scorpion exhaust so I don't know which one gave me the HP??<br>I think I am going to block the airflow and maybe see if I can feel the difference.. MY last car a Civic had a similiar setup and gave a BIG improvment when going fast and at high RPM's... Guess this setup probably does good for the A4 also..<p>Dmak 1.8TQMS

Ron A. 01-11-1999 09:51 AM

Steve, need something extra for Thunderhill eh?<p>I got bored the past weekend and decided to open up the airbox to flow more air. Using my dremel tool and the Krash/GreedSpeed instructions I cut-away a 5 X 7 piece from bottom/rear side of the airbox. I also decided to leave the silencer intact in top portion of the airbox. Removing the airbox wasn't as difficult as I had planned. On the 1.8T, the tin-metal heatshield has a reputation of removing precious skin, so that was removed to facilitate access to the bottom portion of the airbox. Once all the pieces are assembled again, you cannot see the cut-away airbox.<p>In terms of performance, I felt a slight increase in top-end power, which is around 5K rpm for Wett 1.8T. I also installed the sport resonator that Corey S. installed a few weeks back, but I decided to keep the stock rear muffler for now. The sport resonator had a bigger impact on the powerband, much smoother with a larger gain at top-end. <p>In regards to noise, there is now a slight growl if I floor the car at 2K, but that quickly disappears when the boost and turbo whistle take over. Other than that, my A4 is still quiet.<p>HTH,<p>-- Ron A.<br>98.5 Wett 1.8TQM

Alan Adamson 01-11-1999 10:35 AM

Can you point me at these instructions.... I've been waiting and waiting for some from Greedspeed, but are they electronic some where....<p>going to check the archives now!<p>Alan

Andy Hedin 01-11-1999 10:52 AM

Here's some info from archives....

Posted by Krash on August 24, 1998:<br>"For the benefit of those who dont know. The stock filter is good for approx. 200hp. before any <br>serious restriction develops. If you drop in a Ramair/Jamex/TAP filter without modifying the air box you'll get 1-2hp! If you are handy with a rotary tool you can mod the air box to flow much more(5-7hp). <br>1.remove the airbox<br>2. open up the top and remove the flapper @ the bottom 2 screws.<br>3. with a china marker, outline a cutout approx.<br>3/4 of the total size of the back of the air box.<br>4. using the rotary tool carefully remove/cut out<br>the outlined area.(save it & the flapper, if you want you can epoxy it back later if nessary)<br>5. re-install with filter of choice<br>6. make sure you re-install heat-shield, this thin piece of aluminum really does keep hot air from the air-box. <br>You will now have all the benefit's of an airbox<br>that has no restrictions, yet looks "stock".<br>Anthony from Greedspeed turned me on to this mod as well as Steve Moyle who <br>has the entire bottom of his box removed."