A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

With all the talk about Radar and Lidar how do I make my A4 stealthier? Some ideas...(more)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-1999, 05:19 PM
Andreas

Default With all the talk about Radar and Lidar how do I make my A4 stealthier? Some ideas...(more)

With all the talk of people being caught for speeding with Lidar guns is there a way I can "hide" my car? I really don't want to paint my car black and coat it with radar absorbing material. (And going the speed limit isn't a great option either.) I've read about Lidtek laser jammer and how there are license plate covers that absorb laser light, but how well do they work? All I could find was a C&D article from 1996 and I'm sure the technology has changed dramatically since then. They mention in the article that they have a Firebird that can't be picked up by a laser guns because it doesn't have a good reflective surface for the light to bounce off of. This brings me to my next question, is it better to have a front license plate with a laser jammer or have a clean front without a plate? If you have a plate the cop can aim for it and he would get jammed (You would effectively lure him to aim for the front plate). If you didn't have a plate it would be harder for him to "paint" you but if he did manage to get you there would be no protection. <p><br>Car & Driver<br>http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet/1,1350,_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1298_cm_972_1_16_cm_00, 00.html<p>LidaTek<br>http://www.lidatek.com/<ul><li><a href="http://www.caranddriver.com/FrameSet/1,1350,_sl_Article_sl_0_cm_1298_cm_972_1_16_cm_00, 00.html">Car & Driver Link</a></li></ul>
Old 07-19-1999, 06:38 PM
Josh

A4 is as stealthy as an Accord...
Old 07-19-1999, 06:41 PM
J.C.

Default Check out K40 Electronics (link enclosed)

Some of this stuff looks kinda neat, but pricy. Check out the guarantee. www.k40.com
Old 07-19-1999, 07:31 PM
ChuckH

Well, you could leave it in the garage! Not that I would choose that option! :-)
Old 07-19-1999, 08:58 PM
Dale Kirstein

Default Re: Save your money!

Watch out for ads for radar jammers. Any jammer that claims it is legal doesn't work, period. The physics of it just don't allow it to work. As far as Lidar, I have heard that most cops aim at the front plate, so maybe there is something to the IR absorbing plate covers. Of course, the best plan I know of is a Valentine 1 and a sharp eye.
Old 07-20-1999, 04:35 AM
Mark P

Default don't know if I agree with that

I am skeptical about many of the ads in the back of magazines, however the Phazer (I think) radar jammer that claims to be legal, seems to have a high probability of working (assuming that they are making them the way they say they are). I'm not saying they work, as I have not tested one, but the "physics" seem right. I could have the name "Phazer" wrong. The one I am referring to does not actively transmit radar signals. It instead, reflects the signals and ads an FM signal to confuse the gun's readout. This also allows it to be FCC approaved and thus legal.<p>Mark<br>Master, Electrical Engineer, RPI
Old 07-20-1999, 06:43 AM
JimM

&quot;Legal&quot; or not, get caught with one and you will get hammered.
Old 07-20-1999, 09:11 AM
Dale Kirstein

Default Passive jammers can't work, please save your money.

The reason passive jammers don't work is that they are scrambling a very small percent of the total signal that is being reflected back to the radar gun. For instance:The frontal reflecting area of your car is ..let's say 50 square feet.. and the surface area of the device that is "scrambling" the radar signal is ..lets say... 1 square foot. The most that the scrambler can send back is 1/50 or 2 percent of the unscrambled signal. Any radar gun would be able to ignore an interfering signal that low. Antenna gain won't help you, because that would make the system extremely directional. What would help is a power amp that would bring up the scrambled signal to the level of the unscrambled signal, but that would be against FCC rules and illegal. By the way, some of these "scramblers" are nothing more than tiny spinning fan blades in a box. That would actually cause a tiny amount of the radar signal to be FM modulated, but would you pay $200 for it?<p>Here in Colorado, one of these scam artists called Rocky Mountain Radar (who makes the Phazer you are thinking of) has been bilking people for years. A local consumer radio host tested their devices and found them to be total garbage. Their units were unable to change the range or readiing of any radar guns during the tests. Below is a link to their results. <p><br>http://troubleshooter.com/data/columns/radar%5Fjammer%5Fpart%5F1.html<p>and<p>http://troubleshooter.com/data/columns/the%5Fradar%5Fjammer%5Fpart%5F2.html<p><ul><li><a href="http://troubleshooter.com/data/columns/radar%5Fjammer%5Fpart%5F1.html">Test of Radar Jammers from Rocky Mt Radar</a></li></ul>
Old 07-20-1999, 09:13 AM
Andreas

Re: So passive radar jammers don't work, but how about LASER jammers? Does anybody have some more recent tests or acticles about them?
Old 07-20-1999, 12:00 PM
RangeR BoB

Any recent tests about how well K40 stuff works?